Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1035088 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2400 on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »

My father insists that gay rights is an economic issue.
What. How, if at all, does he try to justify that? I need some comedy tonight.
Supposedly gay marriage will make his taxes higher.
It is as if a million mantises cried out as one, and were silenced by the ever growing lolololololololololololo....

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:01 pm »

Yep, we need the extra money to buy assless rindstone tuxedo pants for the ceremonies.
Still a better use for my taxes than clusterbombs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:41 pm »

Yep, we need the extra money to buy assless rindstone tuxedo pants for the ceremonies.
Still a better use for my taxes than clusterbombs.
Okay, but see, they are very nice cluster-bombs. And we put so much hard work into them! Do you really want to see them go to waste? Plus there's all that overpopulation, and if you don't like creating jobs to end overpopulation, I have nothing to say to you.

Kill them all, Do it for the childrens.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2403 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »

Kill the children too. For the hypothetical future children.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 26, 2012, 03:51:57 pm »

Yes, let's... get rid of some of that excess population.

3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 26, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »

And what is the best way to do that, nah, the most efficient? Cluster bombs. Actually Nukes, but they don't let me advocate use of those anymore.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 26, 2012, 03:55:29 pm »

So if we're making cluster bombs, does that mean I need to do without my assless rindstone tuxedo pants?
My cabbages!

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 26, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »

My father insists that gay rights is an economic issue.
What. How, if at all, does he try to justify that? I need some comedy tonight.

Supposedly gay marriage will make his taxes higher.

Well, marriage is basically nothing but a tax break. People save a lot of money under joint filing and if any two persons can do this, you can expect more sham marriages for the purpose of saving tax money. It just opens another loop hole for the ring-clackers to exploit.

So it might conceivably lower revenue, more likely the gov't might alter the tax codes in response so that marriage doesn't provide as much of a tax benefit or abolish joint filing entirely. Not very likely, but possible.

Anyways, how about cluster nukes? Wait, they already have those, nvm.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:02:14 pm by Snowblind »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:38 pm »

That wasn't the question.

The question wasn't "Why is it so over-diagnosed?" it was "Is it ACTUALLY over-diagnosed or is that just what people SAY it is?"

I'm fairly confident that ADHD doesn't effect 10% of the population (that's roughly how many American children the CDC says has been diagnosed with ADHD), although part of my argument revolves around the definition of a disorder.

To me, for it to count as a disorder, it would have to be intrinsic, AKA "your mind works this way" as opposed to "you act this way due to an external situation".  The thing is, ADHD appears to be tied to location.  Within the US, it becomes more common towards the east coast:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prevalence of ADHD also appears to be tied to time, aka less adults appear to have ADHD than kids.  And it seems to be a modern thing.  If you look at mental states in the past that were decently common but weren't understood, such clinical depression, addiction, or paranoia, they still showed up in stories of the time, just not named as disorders.  And those conditions (with the possible exception of addiction) affect way less than 10% of humans.  ADHD doesn't seem, to me, to have the presence in fiction across the ages that it should if it affected 10% of the population.  Although, granted, ADHD can be dismissed as laziness or general distractedness, but way less than 10% of characters in fiction are portrayed as distractable/lazy people.

So while I would agree ADHD is real, evidence suggests to me there is an external situation that produces ADHD like symptoms in those that do not actually have ADHD.  Given that this situation appears to occur in a specific part of the US and mostly applies to school aged children, my conclusion is that kids who don't fit into the school system are incorrectly being diagnosed with ADHD.

Actually there are reports that ADHD is hereditary, they were just classed as unruly or slow learners before. And there a plenty of accounts of lazy, stupid or unruly people in fiction.

It may be over-diagnosed. Most sources say 3-5%, not 10%. But that 3-5% is in England where they feed kids proper school meals, not hotdogs made of "pink slime" like the USA, if you're lucky to get a school meal at all. The diet in USA is absolutely horrendous, and probably is adding to all sorts of childhood problems.

I've read accounts by British child psychologists when kids are diagnosed the dads (it's much more prevalent in males) often go "that sounds like me when i was a kid, but I was just called XYZ" (lazy, stupid, etc)

Then there's stuff like this, which I just found:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/30/us-adhd-genes-idUSTRE68S5UD20100930

(Reuters) - British scientists have found the first direct evidence attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a genetic disorder and say their research could eventually lead to better treatments for the condition.

Researchers who scanned the gene maps of more than 1,400 children found that those with ADHD were more likely than others to have small chunks of their DNA duplicated or missing.

[...]

The study also showed an overlap between the deleted or duplicated DNA segments, known as copy number variants (CNVs), and genetic variants linked to the brain disorders autism and schizophrenia -- providing what the scientists said was "strong evidence" that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental condition.

And as for historical references, that's easy to look up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder
In 1775, Melchior Adam Weikard, a prominent German physician and physician to the Russian Empress, Catherine II, published a medical textbook containing a chapter on attention deficits, now believed to be the first known reference to ADHD in the medical literature.
[...]
In his chapter on attention deficits, Weikard's description contains many of the symptoms now associated with the inattentive dimension of ADHD in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders - 4th edition.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:16:22 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:51 pm »

And what is the best way to do that, nah, the most efficient? Cluster bombs. Actually Nukes, but they don't let me advocate use of those anymore.
I was going to suggest an engineered virus which only affects poor people, but sure.

So if we're making cluster bombs, does that mean I need to do without my assless rindstone tuxedo pants?
Are you sure you don't want rhinestones? On the question, just get yourself a chunk of one of those nice rebuilding contracts after we bomb the shit out of more people in the Third World.

3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »

To hell with your correct words, I want my invented fake ass sparkles!
My cabbages!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 26, 2012, 04:18:31 pm »

There was a study done a year or so ago that reached the conclusion that a whole lot of criminals who were also drug addicts also had AD(H)D. Apparently, a lot of them started drugging as a form of self-medication, and slipped into a criminal life from there. So it's also pretty scary what cam happen to the kids who doesn't get help and medication once they find out there are other ways of clear their heads for a minute.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:26 pm »

Interesting and related:
Smoking in schizophrenia – an attempt to self medicate?
3rd November 2005 | schizophrenia and psychosis

Just over one quarter of the UK population are smokers. In people with schizophrenia the rate of smoking is thought to be between two and four times higher. In addition, smokers with schizophrenia smoke more cigarettes per day and smoke stronger brands than other smokers.

Various theories have been put forward as to why so many people with schizophrenia smoke. It is thought that nicotine acts as a form of ‘self-medication’ for people with schizophrenia, producing a number of beneficial effects despite the negative impact of smoking on long term health.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2413 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »

There was a study done a year or so ago that reached the conclusion that a whole lot of criminals who were also drug addicts also had AD(H)D. Apparently, a lot of them started drugging as a form of self-medication, and slipped into a criminal life from there. So it's also pretty scary what cam happen to the kids who doesn't get help and medication once they find out there are other ways of clear their heads for a minute.

Well, for example my friend, who was on govt. provided ADHD meds (Ritalin) until he turned 18; at which point they cut him off since no insurance, so he turned to meth, and ended up with a diagnosis of schizophrenia; which was probably aggravated by the amphetamines.

If he had gotten the correct diagnosis in the first place; they would never have given him speed for 13 years, addicting him, and making him crazier.

When the shadow people sent by the giant flaming eyeball in the sky are trying to stop you from becoming an angel to go back in time and stop General Custer; as you were instructed to by the ghosts of Einstein, Pocahontas, and the baby you mom miscarried are telling you to do; it's probably not ADHD.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »

When the shadow people sent by the giant flaming eyeball in the sky are trying to stop you from becoming an angel to go back in time and stop General Custer; as you were instructed to by the ghosts of Einstein, Pocahontas, and the baby you mom miscarried are telling you to do; it's probably not ADHD.
WHAT? NEVER! I WILL SACRIFICE THE VIRGINS TO BRING ABOUT THE HOMELESS ONES, AND NO HIGH-FALUTIN TALKING WOLF RABBITS CAN STOP ME!
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 510