Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78193 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #765 on: August 26, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »

Does anyone mind me taking 'power critical' (Complete Warrior Feat) once I've gotten to a point where it could be useful?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:53 pm »

I wouldn't see any problem with that feat.

@Scelly: Also, we're sort of backlogged three or four sessions worth of XP. :/

I know we haven't really gathered much loot but cheap weapons and armor, but we probably have another level by now. can you update the loot thread with experience counts?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 28, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »

Would it be too late for me to join without being waitlisted? I have looked through the thread and not found an actual concrete statement of GMT times - since I have parents and school, I'd need to know before I could play. But on the other hand, very basic probably semi-complete character sheet!
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=439839
I'll add RP details in the morning.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 28, 2012, 05:53:25 pm »

We're level two, just so you know. We usually have games starting 18:00 GMT on both Saturday and Sunday. I would download both maptools v87 and v86 if you're going to play, by the way- our backup host uses v86.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:02 pm »

@Scelly: Also, we're sort of backlogged three or four sessions worth of XP. :/

we probably have another level by now.
By recommendation of the DMG, level-ups are supposed to occur each 6-8 sessions, but I think Scelly wants to get out of the rocket tag levels. It's possible, but I wouldn't expect to gain a level every two weeks for long.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »

By that measure, that would be every three weeks, not every two... Not that much difference.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 28, 2012, 10:16:03 pm »

Would it be too late for me to join without being waitlisted? I have looked through the thread and not found an actual concrete statement of GMT times - since I have parents and school, I'd need to know before I could play. But on the other hand, very basic probably semi-complete character sheet!
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=439839
I'll add RP details in the morning.

Welcome aboard, glass cannon! Just a word of advice: as a primary caster, you want to put as many points as possible into your casting stat. I would recommend taking some points out of Wisdom and putting them in Charisma, but that may just be my opinion.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:45 pm »

Well, it depends- do you plan on multiclassing out of sorcerer later? If not, then you might want the extra CHA.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 29, 2012, 02:25:41 am »

Took two points out of wis to put in cha, remembered I hadn't put in the bonus and malus for elf(+2 cha, -2 con). Do racial changes come before or after you've finished sorting your stats?

I've only played a little D&D before, and that was quite a while ago, so I don't really know the rules for character generation and such.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:31:09 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 29, 2012, 02:46:14 am »

@Bane: Do your stats, then put in the racial stuff IIRC.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:49 am »

I recall elf being +2 dexterity -2 constitution.
10  2  2
12  4  2
10  4  4
14  6  6
12  4  4
17  8 13
 = 28 31

It would be right if you have +2 charisma...

While +1 to spell DCs and a couple more spells per day can be very very nice for a primary spellcaster there are many ways to build a character and having a 16 instead of an 18 in your casting score should be tolerable. 10 constitution is likely to hurt... I think that you should only have 4 hit points and your spell D.C.s should be raised by one to relect the current ability scores. Also I do not see any skill ranks applied...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »

The skill ranks are definitely there - I have 20 points spent, since I'm making a 2nd level character. I'm pretty happy with my glass cannoneering, since I should be a fair distance from enemies, throwing magic missile at them.

Also, question - would I be allowed to use mana-based spellcasting? The rules can be found here. Basically, I get the same spell slots and such but instead of spells per day, spells cost mana or increase strain, with the maximum based on my casting stat(charisma, in this case). I'm fine if being able to cast whatever spells I have a bunch more than I would otherwise be able to is viewed as too powerful, I just have a preference for the system since I've used it before and it's more familiar with what I've used in games in general.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:06:29 pm by Baneling »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »

That link is borked, Baneling.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mana-Based_Spellcasting_(3.5e_Variant_Rule) <-- Is this what you were trying for?

I like the concept, but it'd be hard to balance being able to cast forever, isn't? Our current resident Blaster gets like 5 Magic Missiles. A Day. Then she spends the rest of the session depressed and useless. :P

In a campaign where every player could choose this, I could see it working, sure...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2012, 02:21:39 pm »

Depressed, Useless and throwing acid which hits someone in the party 75% of the time.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »

It's not that hard to change, anyway - just replace your spells/day for each level with the mana/strain cost and keep track of max/used during sessions. I prefer it mainly because it's familiar, as I said, and because it removes a little bit of the exponential growth that casters get - the number of spells you can cast in a day starts higher but increases slower, with a bigger increase every 4 levels, eventually allowing you to use the earlier utility spells a lot more often than you would otherwise be able and without being forced to sacrifice the few spell slots you have.

You're still limited in known spells as a sorcerer, so it'd be less of a major point there - you can still only have 5-3 spells higher than 0th level. It basically comes out as having one speciality of uses of spells spells but being able to cast them a lot more often.

Wizards, on the other hand, it would be quite a big deal since if you spend enough time you can learn all of the wizard spells, giving you a ton of options to throw around whenever you like. I'd not be using a wizard for this unless I was playing in a campaign where severe munchkinry was allowed with variant rules.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74