Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 135149 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1080 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:49 am »

Ok here was one in The Green Mile

So the main character SEVERAL TIMES gets the total 100% justification to shoot several 'bad guys' but never EVER does because they are American. Even when lives are at stake. It would at least be justified if he was say, a pacifist... but no he will happily gun down anyone unless you were born on American soil

The Green Mile that was set in a prison? It's been a while but I don't remember anything like that. Does Tom Hanks gun down any people in that!? Are you sure you don't have a different movie in mind here?

Maybe I got the wrong name. The one about Bourne (ok same actor... but not really) who is in Iraq or Afkanistan...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:04 am »

Dont get me started on the startrek reboot movies.
I'm not a great fan, but it's interesting to see (and one wonders whether the progress of the films earns Spock a bigger file than the "seventeen temporal violations" that Sisko was told that Temporal Investigations had recorded for Kirk...

How much red matter does the vulcan science council send with spock?
Perhaps, like a buffet, if there isn't too much, there isn't enough!  Being prepared for any number of interventions would be more logical than just the one 'dose', and the chance of losing that.  (Or maybe a small quantity cannot be carried, indefinitely.  There needs to be a large bubble of it, from which the appropriate quantity can be safely extracted almost immediately prior to use.  The opposite of a fissile material, or exactly the same way as an evaporating black hole itself, without the side-effects.)

It's been a while, so I can't even begin to address your other problems, properly.  Although superluminal 'blasts' seem to be a thing in the ST universe.  (Except when a currently conked-out warp-drive needs to be hurriedly fixed, thanks to some Plot, said fix being applied just in time to switch from impulse to warp just in time to get up to speed to 'surf' the endangering wavefront of the 'merely' high-fraction-of-C explosive ring.  (Tried moving out of the plane of the explosion, anyone?))  Remember, though, that E=mp2, where "p" is the ultimate speed of plot... ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:19 am »

Just like in the man of steel. Why the fuck didn't they simple evacuated to another planet. They did have colonies that were promptly abandoned, spaceships very much capable of going to space going unused, because fuck logic, we need a plot.
Classic "hyper-advanced but decadent".  They didn't even trust the local equivalent of "global warming revelations" .  Those 'colonies' were, at best, forgotten outposts manned for at least some time by highly irregular kryptonian individuals, while everybody else is perfectly happy to enjoy their apparently-utopian home environment.  Mostly.  The 'El's aren't so blind, but they're in a minority (as they are in most continuities) and have their hands tied (politically and/or socially) by the overwhelmingly insular majority.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:32 am »

Ok here was one in The Green Mile

So the main character SEVERAL TIMES gets the total 100% justification to shoot several 'bad guys' but never EVER does because they are American. Even when lives are at stake. It would at least be justified if he was say, a pacifist... but no he will happily gun down anyone unless you were born on American soil

The Green Mile that was set in a prison? It's been a while but I don't remember anything like that. Does Tom Hanks gun down any people in that!? Are you sure you don't have a different movie in mind here?

Maybe I got the wrong name. The one about Bourne (ok same actor... but not really) who is in Iraq or Afkanistan...
You probably mean Green Zone then, which I haven't seen

Definitely get around to The Green Mile one day, it's a good film.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:53 am »

As well sometimes writers will basically say "Yeah there were some who survived" but they have long since died due to age.

Actually a good excuse they could have pulled is just to say that Clark's ride actually took a very long time (say, 100 years)... BOOM! no home planet + 100 years = species died out.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:55 am »

It would have been better to project something of sufficiently advance to send some spaceships out but not everyone.

In the film it looks like anyone could call a space cab minutes before the planet blows up for whatever stupid reason, and literally go anywhere else. They don't seem decadent, they seem overly stupid.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:57 am »

There are more Superman nitpicks but they're more about the franchise as a whole rather than any particular adaptation. e.g. if Kryptonians gain superpowers from yellow stars, why have they never exploited that fact in their history? The economic benefits would have been massive. I think these sorts of things are a source of a lot of complaints about different types of series. But in most cases they're not a plot hole: they're a basic issue with the premise of the series which it isn't possible to write your way around, so the writer is constrained in how they develop things.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:02:06 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 26, 2015, 09:01:15 am »

It would have been better to project something of sufficiently advance to send some spaceships out but not everyone.

In the film it looks like anyone could call a space cab minutes before the planet blows up for whatever stupid reason, and literally go anywhere else. They don't seem decadent, they seem overly stupid.

MOST of the time the disaster was too sudden to really do anything. It would be like leading an evacuation of a planet in a constant 10 rating earthquake... on the spot without prior set up.

There are more Superman nitpicks but they're more about the franchise as a whole rather than any particular adaptation. e.g. if Kryptonians gain superpowers from yellow stars, why have they never exploited that fact in their history? The economic benefits would have been massive.

Because they are far too advanced for that to matter. Heck I don't even know if they have money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:12 am »

Economics doesn't necessarily imply money or trade, just basic effort -> reward. It's just basically clear that they could have built a better civilization by moving stars. Any colony would have instantly have a massive competitive edge over the home system. But to accept that they never did that is to accept that not only most Kryptonians did not, but all Kryptonians never did that, i.e. they had no individuality at all. But we see plenty of renegade Kryptonians all over the place who are also supposed to be supergeniuses. So none of that really meshes quite right.

EDIT: This stems from the deep premise: "<alien dude> is the last of his kind" who were smart enough to get to Earth, but apparently not smart enough to get anywhere else.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:15:28 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:17 am »

No, I mean they are too advanced for it to matter. No other planet could ever be as prosperous as Krypton itself.

And by "No money" I am bringing up the fact that there is no reward for doing so.

They made other colonies and eventually abandoned them because Krypton might as well be the golden city.

Super strong kyptonians for mining? When they can build as many mining robots as they could ever want at the push of a button? All for materials that ultimately there is no real purpose for because Kyptonians can create far better materials themselves (many nearly indestructible)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 26, 2015, 09:17:27 am »

But it still makes no sense for the many renegade Kryptonians that we see not to have created colonies. either you have regenades who seek personal power, and thus would create colonies around yellow stars, or you get all conformists who are satisfied with their lot on the home star. A mix doesn't work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:02 am »

But it still makes no sense for the many renegate Kryptonians that we see not to have created colonies. either you have regenades who seek personal power, and thus got colonies yellow stars, or you get all conformists who are satisfied with their lot on the home star. A mix doesn't work.

Well Reelya... What you are describing is the equivalent of a Business man who wants power and does this by picking up a bastard sword and some platemail and going to fight Barbarians. All for a mud hut instead of the luxurious mansion he used to live in.

If you are a renegade you typically work within Krypton because... well... Everything else might as well be the boonies.

I mean say what you want about "Renegades" usually the second REAL work and sacrifice hits them... they fold.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:23:28 am by Neonivek »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:33 am »

It's illogical from any point of view. The highest fantasy in there is not a dude flying around in undergarments, it's the fact the whole race was so stupid.

And for the super sexy Kripton, why then didn't they terraformed other planets to mimic it? A bunch of "rebel" idiots (emos) try to do it and almost succeeded if not for plot amour. Then what stopped them doing it before, in a organized manner. Specially when we take into account that other powerful, technological advanced and super strong space faring races do live in the DC universe, and eventually would have conquered the Kriptonians in a beat, so becoming sitting ducks seems like the wrong way to go.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:44 am »

People do go out and exploit the boonies however. That's how the countries both of us are living in got started. And clearly with Krypton tech + superpowers the boonies wouldn't stay boonies for very long. Presumably Kryptonians live a LONG time too, and the race should be frikkin ancient, so this just should have happened. The fact is they only exist as a thin premise for where Superman came from and why there aren't any more.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:27:48 am by Reelya »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 26, 2015, 09:26:46 am »

But it still makes no sense for the many renegade Kryptonians that we see not to have created colonies. either you have regenades who seek personal power, and thus would create colonies around yellow stars, or you get all conformists who are satisfied with their lot on the home star. A mix doesn't work.
In at least one adaptation, Brainiac was asked point-blank if the seismic events were a serious threat, and it said there was nothing to worry about.  If only HAL 9000 had a crew that trusting of its technology.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 88