Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linking stockpiles and workshops without clogging job queue?  (Read 6091 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having trouble with craftsdwarf's workshops and keeping them on tasks using specific materials.  Left to their own devices, dwarves will create rock jugs in the workshop next to the bone pile and make bone bolts at the workshop located next to the quarry :(.  In the past, I've set up repeating commands that filled up the entire queue, but I don't have enough of a steady supply of bones to support that yet. 

I've tried linking stockpiles to the appropriate workshop, but then jobs for bone carving orders appear in the workshop which only takes stone and vice versa, causing both workshops to stall.  Is there a way to funnel manager orders to specific workshops?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linking stockpiles and workshops without clogging job queue?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:59:29 pm »

The job manager does not play well with stockpiles that feed workshops.  Except in rare cases where you can hook up every workshop of a particular type to the same input stockpiles.

Craftdwarf workshops are the worst of the lot, because sometimes they use stone, sometimes wood, sometimes bone, etc.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:04:55 pm »

You could simply link every craft-related stockpile to each craft workshop. Problem solved :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

Just put in 10  jobs, suspend them, and cancel one when you want to add new jobs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »

You could simply link every craft-related stockpile to each craft workshop. Problem solved :P

That doesn't work for craftsdwarf workshops.  Linking a bone stockpile to one will stall due to manager orders when jobs for other materials queue up, like rock jugs.  I know how to work around this using 10 queued repeating commands, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to navigate this purely through the manager.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »

From the wiki:  the manager will distribute the jobs amongst all those workshops, even if you want the different workshops to be dedicated to different tasks. A workaround for this is to fill a workshop with suspended tasks to prevent it from accepting manager orders.

I think right now, this is the only way.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

Example: you have two crafter-workshops and make three stockpiles, one for stones, one for bones and one for wood.. if you link each stockpile to every crafter workshop, why should the mananger orders break the queue? (you still have to restrict none of the craft workshops to any dwarf via manager) Every dwarf should be able to work in every workshop with every material.. should help with the manager thing

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:11:21 am »

Example: you have two crafter-workshops and make three stockpiles, one for stones, one for bones and one for wood.. if you link each stockpile to every crafter workshop, why should the mananger orders break the queue? (you still have to restrict none of the craft workshops to any dwarf via manager) Every dwarf should be able to work in every workshop with every material.. should help with the manager thing

Your example won't work.  Each stockpile or workshop can take from multiple sources, but each can only give to one.  In other words, Workshop 1 can take from Stockpiles A, B, and C, but if those are linked, those stockpiles cannot also give to Workshops 2 & 3.  Now, if links are not used, all of the workshops can pull from the stockpiles that they need, but that also leads to bone carvers moving all the way to the stone quarry to craft there, while stonecrafters travel to the workshops next to the refuse/bones piles and crafting stone there.

Currently the manager doesn't distinguish between the craft workshops.  The jobs are distributed to all of them evenly, regardless of the stockpiles close to and/or linked to them.  This results in bone and stone jobs queued in the woodcraft workshop, for instance.  So the woodcraft shop will process all the jobs with wood, but if it's linked to the wood pile, it will stop as soon as it gets to the bone and stone ones, clogging the queue. 

Workshops with repeating queues work, but I was looking for a way to make individual workshops process only orders for specific materials using the manager. Not so far. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:18:30 am by VerdantSF »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:42 am »

Is there a way to funnel manager orders to specific workshops?
Nope.  Wouldn't it be nice if as the manager increased in organize skill, he would gain something like this ability.  This is a great reason for adding additional workstations types, like ammo fletcher, shell artist, or bone crimper.  Course this would make Therapists labor panel even longer, and more unmanageable, within normal font sizes.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

Your example won't work.  Each stockpile or workshop can take from multiple sources, but each can only give to one.

This is what the wiki says, but I think that sentence needs to be removed.  I agree with Chaia.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »

Stockpiles can now give to multiple destinations as well as taking from multiple destinations.  That was a change in 34.xx, the wiki is outdated and is from 31.25 era.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:15 pm »

Dont know which version it was changed, but in 34.11 it will work that way

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:54 pm »

Stockpiles can now give to multiple destinations as well as taking from multiple destinations.  That was a change in 34.xx, the wiki is outdated and is from 31.25 era.

Ah, good to know!  However, that still leaves the original problem which led to this quandary.  The reason I tried to link stockpiles and workshops was to prevent workers from running all over the place to fulfill orders in workshops far from the appropriate material sources.  Oh Urist McWanderer! *Shakes fist*

I considered burrows to keep workers in place, but that won't stop manager job assignments from being sent all over the place.  Once I get access to more bones, I'll just go back to the repeating queue method.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:37:27 pm by VerdantSF »

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »

Personally, I tend to keep all workshops in the same area of the fort.  In my current one, I'm actually trying to split out a "caste" type setup (although I gave up on burrows), with the butcher, tanner, carpenter & food related shops in one area, close to the ranch area.  Then I have the cloth, leather & gem shops in one area, fairly close to the masons, mechanic & craft shops.  My idea was to have a workflow - raw ingredients (plus food & drink) are in one area, with linked stockpiles moving the refined goods close to the next tier of workshops.  So my Farmer's Workshop & Looms are near the farms, and the cloth is hauled down to the stockpile next to the Clothier.

It might not be the best solution, but you could simply set up a minecart route to haul rock from your quarry to a quantum stockpile near your craft shops.

On a side note, I have an idea for a sorted inventory of finished goods - one big stockpile holding everything, with a minecart route dropping them into a row of 1x1 stockpiles, each holding one item type  (Bed, Table, Chair, etc).
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

Personally, I tend to keep all workshops in the same area of the fort.

Yeah, same here for the most part, though I originally wanted to keep my crafters working right next to their related professions: woodcrafters with carpenters, stonecrafters with masons, and bone carvers with butchers.  I think I'm going to change things up and give my crafters their own central area.  With mats for all the different types close by and linked up, Chaia's suggestion should work like a charm :). Time to put those idle haulers to work!

Pages: [1] 2