Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas?  (Read 1696 times)

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas?
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »

So, I've gotten to the point where I'm essentially safe (save some godawful syndrome or... well, that's about it). No goblin or beastman siege will be able to break my 40 weapon traps (3 discs each for self-nerfing) and even if they do either my 20 upright spears or 10 legendary axedwarves will.

So now, what do I do? I'm thinking it's megaproject time, but every time I try that, I end up completely butchering it, getting nothing cool out of it, and destroying my fortress in vain. So, I'm looking for more of a semi-megaproject, something that will take 1-2 in game years, not cause too much lag (FPS is starting to drop), but still be decently cool/dorfy. Not much gold or anything, no candy, so nothing metal. Anything else goes.

Thanks?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:44 pm »

A self reloading deathtrap that claims a Dwarf life every now and then.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »

Try putting different parts of the fortress extremely far away, but erect an efficient minecart public transport system so the dwarves can get everywhere quickly. For example, have the bedroom cluster in one corner of the map, then have the dining hall in another corner several Z levels away.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:37 pm »

7x7, 60z level death pit!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:09 pm »

Try putting different parts of the fortress extremely far away, but erect an efficient minecart public transport system so the dwarves can get everywhere quickly. For example, have the bedroom cluster in one corner of the map, then have the dining hall in another corner several Z levels away.
Ah, should have brought this up, I'm playing .31.25, so no minecarts, vampires, or update hauling systems.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »

7x7, 60z level death pit!
... that comes with every fortress, how else do I dispose of prisoners/puppies? Except it's 5x5... and my map is short, so it's 40 z-levels, just because I can't go any lower (there are spikes though, to make up for it.)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »

Try to capture a megabeast, then release it into a controlled arena/lair for it where you can feed captured enemies and dwarves.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »

Harness a deadly syndrome as a bioweapon. Think boatmurdered, but with Kitten Rot.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:40:24 pm »

Try to capture a megabeast, then release it into a controlled arena/lair for it where you can feed captured enemies and dwarves.

no cave spiders :/

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:21:34 am »

Train everyone.  Militarize your entire fort.  Then get rid of the traps. 

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:31:01 am »

loyalty cascade

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:32:47 am »

Train up your military to be as strong as possible, then open the HFS and party.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 03:35:59 am »

Train up your military to be as strong as possible, then open the HFS and party.

+1
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:40 am »

Train everyone.  Militarize your entire fort.  Then get rid of the traps.

Once again, this is an inherent part of all my forts. Traps are used simply because I'm mildly OCD about my military, and don't start it until I have enough to make 10 sets of iron armor, once I can do that the traps get phased out quickly.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of a construction/monument

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:48 am »

Make a room like the dining room in 'The Incredibles' with an entire wall composed of flowing magma, which could be opened for access to more of the facility.

I figure have a small-ish dining room near the entrance, with a magma back wall. Pull a lever to cut off some of the magma to reveal a passageway into the fort proper.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.
Pages: [1] 2