Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gold. Lots of Gold.  (Read 8139 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold. Lots of Gold.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 08:06:10 pm »

Don't use any of it. Mine it ALL out, then make the gold into only gold bars (maybe add some gold coins, gem-encrusted goblets etc for variety, but still mostly bars) and construct a giant vault with the best security that dwarfdom can create. Steel/adamantine walls, magma traps, heavily armed guards, serrated discs, and so on. Rest secure in the knowledge that you have the largest treasury of any dwarf in history.

Bonus points for capturing a dragon and putting it inside on top of all that gold.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 10:05:23 pm »

Don't use any of it. Mine it ALL out, then make the gold into only gold bars (maybe add some gold coins, gem-encrusted goblets etc for variety, but still mostly bars) and construct a giant vault with the best security that dwarfdom can create. Steel/adamantine walls, magma traps, heavily armed guards, serrated discs, and so on. Rest secure in the knowledge that you have the largest treasury of any dwarf in history.

Bonus points for capturing a dragon and putting it inside on top of all that gold.

This sounds wonderful... but I also like the Giant golden death tower/ bloater tuber farm... may I make the throne room at the top of the tower?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »

Make a giant sign out of gold blocks that says "RON PAUL 2012".

In fact, I think I'm going to do that in my current fort...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:24 pm »

Make a giant sign out of gold blocks that says "RON PAUL 2012".

:P

Does metal that melt still deteriorate into a puddle of molten x? If so, you can encase your nobles in gold, or at least have them bleed all over the gold first and then make statues out of it.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:37 pm »

A golden altar to sacrifice the children to appease the gods. Large monuments to the dwarven gods
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

TallAsAHouseDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 12:22:25 am »

Golden prison tower where you seal all the convicts inside their cells forever, because your fortress does not tolerate crime.

And/or a golden road leading to your fortress.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 01:54:21 am »

Build a sky net and drop golden bombs on enemies. I.e. Make a checker-board pattern floor spanning entire map, and use construction+floorgrates to make instant-drop bombs. I've done it with normal stone over a human settlement (and I think even got sigged for it), but dropping gold on the enemy's heads is just pure dorf.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 02:42:06 am »

If you've got stonesense I think the only responsible thing to do is start storing your consumables inside a giant golden monument to Pac-Man.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 03:33:43 am »

This reminds me of a song I once heard a dwarf sing.  How did it go....

Gold gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold!
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 03:36:22 am »

*to the tune of WhoseLine irish drinking song*

Ohhhhhhhh.... Aye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye!
Gold gold gold gold goldy-gold. Gold gold gold gold gold gold!
Gold gold goldy-gold, gold gold is lots of gold.
We all love gold. Gold is gold. Gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold!
Ohhhhhhhh.... Aye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye-dee Dye!...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »

We should actually do an Irish drinking song about gold to the tune of Whose Line with real lyrics. I'll do the first verse.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH... Aye Dee Dye Dee Dye Dee Dye Dee Dye Dee Dye Dee Dye.
This mountain is full of gold

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 08:32:05 pm »

A golden altar to sacrifice the children to appease the gods. Large monuments to the dwarven gods
GOLD FOR THE GOLD GOD

The gold god sounds moderately pimpin'. I wonder what his spheres are?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:28 pm »

Replace the entire surface of the outside world with GOLD.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »

Well, to give everybody an update, I'm more out of practice than I thought... While still getting military/industries set up: 3 beastman squad siege. My 15 cage traps had no chance, I still have the world though, so I might try again at some point.

No chance of reclaim, I had 40 captured beastmen, who are now running around with the 20 that ended me, it would be way too much clean up.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 02:42:51 am »

I haven't built a solid gold dining room since 40d. I really ought to do my next embark on one of these ridiculously gold-endowed sites.

The gold god sounds moderately pimpin'. I wonder what his spheres are?
Wealth, Metals, and Jealousy, probably. Ideally, he'd be a dragon god as well, but since this is DF we're lucky if he isn't a muck butterfly.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?
Pages: 1 [2] 3