Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687583 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #8550 on: September 15, 2022, 09:47:30 pm »

No, but then I'm not suffering for it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: September 16, 2022, 03:47:55 am »

Do you also posit you have a right to be angry if you cross a woman at night and she switches the sidewalk because she is uncomfortable?

Do you also posit that people have no right to be angry if a cab refusest to give you a fare because of your skin colour?
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: September 16, 2022, 07:48:33 am »

Ok then it's settled, when someone asks: did you just fart? You scream: RACISM

So we can conclude that yes mctraveller, there is a objective standard of evidence  where everybody should naturally know when it's ok to join in to start gossiping a person on a public plattform, but people are not bad people for not being omniscient about it and overstepping when to discuss something, because the only way one could ever be bad is by accusing somebody else of being bad, even if the accusation was made in a state of distress. Follow these 3 steps to be a saint.

When I brush through a crowd, and some chick start shrieking "that guy just gropped me", I scoff and say: "show me the evidence" like any rational person would.

If there is 6 people at the table at the library, and the pens etc got spread out over the course of the time spent, and one of them suddenly gets a panic and says "fuck shit, nobody move I lost my pen drive, nobody moves until I find it", you get real indignate about the small inconvenience to you, that is so much worse than losing all the work, because need I remind you this is a matter of principle sir!
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: September 16, 2022, 08:03:49 am »

did you just fart?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: September 16, 2022, 08:57:02 am »

*sitting around randomly testing the pressure in my intestines with little pushes, so I can come in and write yes, what are you going to do about it?*

let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: September 16, 2022, 03:45:41 pm »

I think I have finally found words for a recent observation about society.  Maybe I'm wrong...

So often it seems like the response to something in society is an assumption of guilt without evidence.  This is in opposition to the philosophy with which I grew up, which is innocence until proven guilty.

This can be in things like accusations of impropriety or corruption, it can be in statements like "the elite are out to get the poor", it can be in statements like "all cops are brutes" or "all Republicans are fans of Trump".

Wouldn't it be better for everyone's health if we did give people benefit of the doubt until there is real evidence (not just stuff on Twitter)?  Especially people you don't know personally?

1) This isn't recent. I'm kinda sick of people assuming everything is "new" and "recent" when the World's been a Giant Ball of Shit for a Very Very Long time, and this world view distorts the actual progress we've made as a society. The backlashes of today are mild in comparison to the generally accepted injustices of the past.

2) This is also a misunderstanding of the American Legal System. It isn't "innocent until proven guilty". It's "innocent until proven guilty at trial".
Most people believe that means "innocent is our view until proven guilty at trial." That is NOT my observation. The realpolitik is "Innocent until proven guilty is ONLY APPLICABLE at trial, and the REVERSE applies until Trial"

did you just fart?
You obviously farted, your question admits your guilt.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: September 16, 2022, 03:59:27 pm »

This is in opposition to the philosophy with which I grew up, which is innocence until proven guilty.

Emmett Till says "boo"

He was just one person, but he illustrates the point I want to make: for the majority of the people living from coast to coast, our United States government has, since its inception, not offered a presumption of innocence.

People use heuristics in order to navigate the world; we have to do that because there's just too much information to act on, much of it about who will help you and who is dangerous. There is a reason why the standard of a court of law is not used on a day to day basis; because on a day to day basis, that standard is unnecessary.

I actually wish that people would act more on their personal experience and the personal experience of others and less on insubstantial rumor, too.

Then maybe people would listen to me when I say that I'm actively afraid of the police, I have never met a Republican who made me feel at home in my own skin (although I would love to meet one and have a soft spot I regret for the late John McCain), and that elitism prioritizes form and surface so that, when interpreting the same, ambiguous events, the elite's actions are perceived more favorably than those of the commoner trash -- but no one gives a shit!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: September 16, 2022, 11:35:53 pm »

I put a second tie on my ponytail, near the end, to keep it out of my eyes while doing ladderwork.  I think I sorta like this two-tie look.  My dad joked about it (he has a ponytail too but mine goes down to my tailbone *easy*).

I'm ridiculously bad at remembering and judging hairstyles, but surely someone else has tried this before?  It has to be a thing?

A "ponytail" that's bound tight-ish against the back of the head, then bound again near the end of the shorter hairs.  So the entire tail is secured back instead of splaying.  Much like a simple braid except I haven't gotten the hang of braiding behind my back.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: September 16, 2022, 11:48:31 pm »

It's pretty common for braids, iirc, and you see it occasionally with looser tails, particularly in exactly the situation you used it for (I tend to just tuck mine into my shirt when I'm doing something like that). So yeah, folks tie tails with multiple bands, sometimes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: September 17, 2022, 12:14:33 am »

Nice!  This tail has (for years) a strong (annoying) preference to rest in front of me, on my left.  After a quick check I think this is related to my "part" being pretty far on my right side.  None of this really makes sense to me, but a full investigation would be more than a small question.

I did have to tuck it in the front of my shirt though.  S'just, I know from experience that it wouldn't have all stayed there without the lower hairband.  It was always getting free and causing problems - though it was considerably shorter for a lot of those years.

eeee it feels somehow longer like this when it doesn't splay out.  <3  Good tail, best hair.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: September 17, 2022, 06:03:49 am »

I used to have 3-4 ties in mine back when it was fairly long, just to keep it orderly and out of the way.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: September 17, 2022, 09:05:07 am »

Who here would be interested in a thread (in Creative Projects) about my mostly-hard-SF worldbuild?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: September 17, 2022, 01:06:21 pm »

Who here would be interested in a thread (in Creative Projects) about my mostly-hard-SF worldbuild?
Sounds interesting!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: September 17, 2022, 01:44:29 pm »

Yeeeeaa
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: September 17, 2022, 09:56:48 pm »

What wound up happening with the whole EU-Meta showdown that was going on at the beginning of the year?

I remember the EU telling them to stop something, and Meta going "Well you do that and we'll" *GASP* "SHUT DOWN FACEBOOK IN THE EU!" and the EU replying with "K" and then... nothing.

What happened after that? I assume FB is still accessible in the EU.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 637