Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 892598 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7335 on: May 26, 2021, 02:32:26 am »

But yeah, $40 that you can only use online (presumably with shipping and handling of about $9 in many cases) is garbage.  A gift card for McDonalds or whatever is the largest convenience store would be better.  But hey, free money is free money I guess...

Cost of living, my dude. Maybe $9 is a reasonable amount for you to pay in shipping, but if it always costed at least $9 where I live, no-one would buy anything online. Or use the postal system at all, for that matter. Just pretend that the price of shipping is negligible. It isn't if I'm buying lots of small knickknacks from multiple sellers (thus causing the price of shipping to accumulate), but that's an edge case.

Actually, those are reasonable rates in the US, if you don't get the shipping and handling waived somehow.  I would totally have to pay $9 to have something shipped that I paid $20 for.  Granted, the key is to either find the seller that waives shipping and handling, or the product that is worth $30+ and pay the $9.

Back to your question, in the US, a lot of stores have an online store where you can buy stuff, even pick it up at their physical location.  That might be the best option for you.  Buy stuff "online" that you'd ordinarily purchase at the store, and pick it up at the store.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: May 26, 2021, 02:57:12 am »

Actually, those are reasonable rates in the US, if you don't get the shipping and handling waived somehow.  I would totally have to pay $9 to have something shipped that I paid $20 for.  Granted, the key is to either find the seller that waives shipping and handling, or the product that is worth $30+ and pay the $9.

I apologize for not putting this upfront, but I'm not in the US. I live somewhere that's poorer than the US, hence the lower cost of living. I just write in American English to confuse people, and I used US dollars as a reference point and to obfuscate where I actually live.

Shipping and handling costs are shown upfront by my local shopping platforms, and the costs are all bundled into one single fee. There is no distinction between shipping and handling; they're treated as one and the same. It's quite cheap, too. Even buying dumbbells doesn't get you to $9 equivalent in S&H where I live. They're negligible.

Back to your question, in the US, a lot of stores have an online store where you can buy stuff, even pick it up at their physical location.  That might be the best option for you.  Buy stuff "online" that you'd ordinarily purchase at the store, and pick it up at the store.

If only I could exit my campus willy-nilly. Lockdown happened, you get me? I'm pretty sure buying stuff online and picking it up physically is a bit too frivolous for the university staff to accept as a valid reason to go outside. Especially when there's a perfectly good post office on campus ready to act as a storage place for sent items.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: May 26, 2021, 03:11:28 am »

Sorry about the full on lockdown.  Needless to say, the term Lockdown isn't quite so strict in the US.  Here, it just means some stores are closed.  Even during the worst of it, I could still leave my home if I wasn't quarantined. And to be fully informative, even if I was quarantined, there wasn't much enforcement.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: May 26, 2021, 06:34:24 am »

English speakers, on a scale from 0 to "Fuck you", where in spiciness would you place "Up yours"?

Please mention which english you are of in case of differences
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: May 26, 2021, 06:41:30 am »

Most sorts of american english I've ran into, it's about the same level as fuck you, maybe a bit tamer. It's... basically the same sentiment, y'know? Just less versatile.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:14 am »

English speakers, on a scale from 0 to "Fuck you", where in spiciness would you place "Up yours"?

Central US, American English--

8 to 8.5 out of 10

I consider "Fuck You" to be a 9, with 10 reserved for "Fuck you, and everyone you know" / "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" being closer to 10. (That is to say, bland "fuck you" is not the apex. It gets more creative and intense with added invective, when you approach 10. EG, "Fuck you" is a 9, "Fuck you, Mother Fucker" is 9.5-ish-- et al.)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: May 26, 2021, 09:01:46 am »

I have no clue which dialect of English I use. It's a mix of American and British English (+ whatever I'm influenced by), biased towards American. I'm not even sure which place's accent it most closely resembles. I just throw all the English sentences that look correct into the mind's blender and blend them together into an abstract paste.

I'd rate it a "strongly not recommended in polite company", but still below a "do not use" (these are my own personal judgements, mind you). It's like "fuck you", but just a bit lower, when you don't want to tell someone to have sex with themselves, but to instead tell them to shove something up their ass. No word on how sexual it is. I think "up yours" is the most vulgar fixed phrase that doesn't contain a swear, unless if "up" and "yours" are both swears now.

-snip-

Is there any swear that is equal to 10 on your scale, rather than just approaching 10? Anything above 10?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:09:26 am by methylatedspirit »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: May 26, 2021, 09:12:28 am »

Hard to say.  A perfect 10 is the singularity at the end of the spectrum. Hitting it would require the alignment of not only the epithet itself, but also its intended recipient's base nature.

Calling a preacher's wife a "Fucking Cunt" would be pretty close, for instance.

The same epithet used on, say, a "Chad" (Or for the Aussies among us, a "Bogan") might register as only a 6 or so, and be laughed at.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:17:27 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: May 26, 2021, 09:50:29 am »

I think "up yours" is the most vulgar fixed phrase that doesn't contain a swear, unless if "up" and "yours" are both swears now.

This was actually the exact thought that caused me to ask the question by the way :D
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: May 26, 2021, 09:57:34 am »

You could try 'get bent' if 'up yours' lacks sufficient offense. They're both the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from something rated PG-13. I'd give either one maybe a 1/3 a 'fuck you,' if that's more helpful.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: May 26, 2021, 10:02:42 am »

Usually, a "Fuck You" is higher on the scale if it is followed by the word "with"
American EST.

"Up Yours" is a straight 6.  As above, it need more description to be any higher.  Bart Simpson says "Up Yours".

For example "Up your butthole with an eel" rates hire than a 6.  A 6.3 perhaps.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: May 26, 2021, 12:19:07 pm »

I think it depends on the situation. "Up yours" is offensive, but I don't think it's quite as offensive as "go die in a fire," specifically because it's a set phrase. I think it also depends on whether the speaker would ever under any known circumstances say 'fuck you." It could be that "up yours" is their maximum and therefore it becomes more powerful.

(Edit: California)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 12:23:27 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: May 26, 2021, 12:21:54 pm »

You'd probably be able to put "Get bent" in a show for older children, but not "Up yours", so there's a metric for it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: May 26, 2021, 01:06:00 pm »

On a related issue, never say "I'm going to [insert violent act here]" or you'll get arrested.  "I'd like to [insert violent act here]" can get you arrested, although it is arguably lawful.  And remember, people WILL misremember what you say, so for example the "Go die in a fire", when transcribed by the listener to the cop, magically turns into the criminal "I'm going to push you into a fire".  Do you have a witness? Do they believe them over you?  Reasonable doubt is great, except it's not your reasonable doubt.  It's whatever impossibly high standard for finding reasonable doubt that the Judge/Jury has for the case.

So while more specific is certainly more vulgar, it also skirts the line of what is lawful to say to a person.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: May 27, 2021, 03:01:27 am »

I think "up yours" is a 4 or 5 on a the scale of shitty things to say to people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 648