Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 890747 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6705 on: December 16, 2020, 11:07:45 pm »

What is the least powerful hardware that has gotten a demo (in the demoscene sense) made for it? A very strong contender would be the ATtiny15, with only 1kB of flash, 32 bytes of RAM, and a clock speed of 1.6MHz which got Bit Banger (seizure warning, especially towards the end) by lft written for it. It's less powerful than an Atari 2600, for reference, and there's no helper chips for anything. It's doing every single thing manually.

If there's anything even less powerful than that that someone's managed to do audio and video on, I'd be surprised.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: December 17, 2020, 02:54:57 am »

Double post, sorry.
I felt the need to create a visual to represent all (technically only the ones definable in terms of male and female) the genders because my sister was confused on the whole nonbinary genders thing when I explained to her that I'm NB now (she's fine with it, thankfully). So I came up with this thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm quite proud of it. I wrote my first Python code just to make it. Heavy copy-pasting, yes, but it works. (Major props to the Coding thread. Their help was instrumental in even coming up with how to represent and manipulate the RGB values.)

I think it's fairly easy to understand. x-axis is male, y-axis is female, and each point in between is the sum of those axes at that point.

Then I wanted to place some points for reference. I put in the most common genders (or at least the ones that are well-defined), and I get this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this correct? Of course, I'm not representing every gender possible with these points, but I'm hoping to hit at the major ones. Of the ones represented, have I made any errors? I'm hoping to show this to my sister, and I don't want her understanding to be wrong.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: December 17, 2020, 04:06:02 am »

Why do people mash elevator buttons?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: December 17, 2020, 04:25:16 am »

Impulsive behavior

(rats do the same thing when they think there will be a reward)

Basically, the elevator door is not closing fast enough for their satisfaction, so they press it a bazillion times. (and or, the elevelator is not being summoned fast enough)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: December 17, 2020, 04:31:16 am »

Pressing buttons is fun.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: December 17, 2020, 04:46:34 am »

Impulsive behavior

(rats do the same thing when they think there will be a reward)

Basically, the elevator door is not closing fast enough for their satisfaction, so they press it a bazillion times. (and or, the elevelator is not being summoned fast enough)

It's logical. The door takes X amount of time to close. The more you press the button, the more of X has passed and less time remains before the door closes. Therefore if you mash the button there is less time between the last press of the button and the closing, which means that the door closes faster.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6711 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:32 am »

I feel like this might be a bit of a big one, rather than a small random question.

Why did antiquity contain so many large, contiguous empires? The ones that come to mind are the Romans, Persians, Macedonian (And subsequent states), Maurya...

Obviously to an extent it's because it was a long time period so there was plenty of time, but I can't recall many empires of that size existing after that until Europe went all "Invade the world" and they weren't all that contiguous, and those empires tended to be more restricted to the Middle East (And China, but they've been doing this for millenia).

Newer balance patches made older strategies less oppressive and more factions gained access to them.

The basic condition for empire building is a large army that can actually project force. The reason most iconic empires are from the Mediterranean and middle eastern regions is that their climate is well suited to growing wheat/other cereals -- an energy-dense food source that allows a soldier to carry enough food to fight on with them, or in a baggage train. Rice fills the same role in Asia.

As the world became more stable post-antiquity it became more possible for more societies to sustain a similar high-energy foodstuff (relationship not necessarily in this order), which allowed for general development of culture as well as standing armies since you could feed more than one person per person, as it were. I'd guess that made it easier for smaller societies to glob together in a way that made them harder to roll over by sheer force.

That said, people just don't talk about a surprising number of empires. Like my personal favourite, the Axumite Empire which was a power on par with Rome in the classical era. But there are also things like the Carolingian Empire ~900AD, which controlled pretty much all of mainland Europe except Spain, to the Balkans. And the 1st French Empire which did the same thing but probably a bit bigger, and that was Napoleon. And if we try hard enough, we can probably call the USSR an empire as well :P

They're just not as exciting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: December 17, 2020, 05:22:34 am »

Carolingians also didn't get up into Denmark. Emmm, I think. They did get the Frisians tho.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6713 on: December 17, 2020, 06:12:59 am »

No, you're right, I think Denmark is what I was thinking of when I said "pretty much". But most of my history from the kind of period is a few thousand kilometres further south, so I'm hardly an expert.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: December 17, 2020, 11:29:58 am »

I don't want to fret on the Carolingian empire but you guys seem to forget that the majority of mainland Europe is in Eastern Europe.

Speaking of which, how's Russia for a late but pre-modern Empire? Fairly stable too.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6715 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:10 am »

I don't want to fret on the Carolingian empire but you guys seem to forget that the majority of mainland Europe is in Eastern Europe.

This is a fair point and I thought it ran further east than it actually did. Around the east of Greece is where I start mentally quibbling about "far west Asia", but it didn't get to Greece at all.

Russia confuses me because I always feel like it was geographically large but not populous, but I see looking at a map that it was pretty decent. Wikipedia actually has a list of empires at the bottom of every Empire page, it seems, which is handy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: December 18, 2020, 11:21:16 pm »

In what area would a communal Bay12 religion builder be in? Like if we collectively made up deities and origin stories and myths and such, but it takes place in this world?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:18 pm »

Question: what is this?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:03:04 pm by Eschar »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: December 19, 2020, 12:02:43 am »

IDK but Jake and Elizabeth sound like broken programs, maybe the presumed humans in the story are actually personifications of very broken code, hence why their conversations are often error results

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: December 19, 2020, 12:17:15 am »

In what area would a communal Bay12 religion builder be in? Like if we collectively made up deities and origin stories and myths and such, but it takes place in this world?

I guess "Creative Projects", since its essentially a shared fictional universe.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 648