Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687376 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3990 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »

Looks like it's just a long sleeve shirt a few sizes too big, t'me. Oversized long sleeve t-shirt, maybe try "long sleeve t-shirt dress", sans quotes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:10 am »

Wow earphone jack is a super cutie in that picture thank you for blessing me.

Uh, try shirt dress. I think those are a thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: September 09, 2017, 02:30:48 am »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3993 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:31 am »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: September 09, 2017, 07:15:19 pm »

In American media, Russians speak in broken English. In Russian media, do Americans speak in broken Russian?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: September 09, 2017, 07:38:35 pm »

I would think that they still speak english, just with a terrible-fake russian accent on top, because most americans cannot even mutter half-sentences in another language. (and certainly not russian.)

That's assuming Russian media does an accurate portrayal anyway.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: September 10, 2017, 03:01:19 am »

You guys don't want to know the kind of accent British and American guys have in French movies.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: September 10, 2017, 04:49:20 am »

Nowadays Russian TV and film production uses actual native English speakers for roles that need English. Or some guys with minimally noticeable accent - Russian has more phonemes than English, I think the only one we don't have is "th"? Makes it easier to learn the proper pronunciation. But it's not like we even portray Americans or Englishmen that often.

Americans are getting better at this, I think - saw Hitman's Bodyguard, and like 70% of Belorussian hit squad guys spoke Russian like they were speaking it all their lives (which is often the case in Belarus). Gary Oldman was kind of funny, but he tried pretty hard and did pretty well.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: September 10, 2017, 06:35:36 am »

You guys don't want to know the kind of accent British and American guys have in French movies.

'Allo 'allo?
Love, scriver~

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: September 10, 2017, 11:14:31 am »

Nowadays Russian TV and film production uses actual native English speakers for roles that need English. Or some guys with minimally noticeable accent - Russian has more phonemes than English, I think the only one we don't have is "th"? Makes it easier to learn the proper pronunciation. But it's not like we even portray Americans or Englishmen that often.

Americans are getting better at this, I think - saw Hitman's Bodyguard, and like 70% of Belorussian hit squad guys spoke Russian like they were speaking it all their lives (which is often the case in Belarus). Gary Oldman was kind of funny, but he tried pretty hard and did pretty well.
Huh. Thanks!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:19 am »

Are there any diseases it's possible to catch more than once?

I don't mean something like a cold where there's lots of different strains, I mean a disease that doesn't mutate or have different strains that can bypass your immunity, but you can catch more than once anyway?

Dengue hemorrhagic fever comes to mind. Getting infected once leaves you with antibodies effective against that serotype alone; subsequent infections by a different serotype trigger antibody-dependent enhancement repeatedly, and thus DHF. It's not common to see multiple cases of DHF in a single individual, though, since the mortality rate is so high.

In a similar vein, many pathogens will trigger an immune response that looks a lot like a disease response even once someone is immune to the immunogen itself. Oh, and there are no pathogens that don't mutate, because nucleic acids don't work that way, so the overwhelming majority of them have different strains anyway. So you can catch most diseases more than once.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: September 12, 2017, 05:55:54 am »

One of the dangers of e.coli is that different strains will war with one another over control of your gut enviorns, this is the source of many of the horrid symptoms of the disease.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: September 12, 2017, 06:02:16 am »

Are there any diseases it's possible to catch more than once?

I don't mean something like a cold where there's lots of different strains, I mean a disease that doesn't mutate or have different strains that can bypass your immunity, but you can catch more than once anyway?

Dengue hemorrhagic fever comes to mind. Getting infected once leaves you with antibodies effective against that serotype alone; subsequent infections by a different serotype trigger antibody-dependent enhancement repeatedly, and thus DHF. It's not common to see multiple cases of DHF in a single individual, though, since the mortality rate is so high.

In a similar vein, many pathogens will trigger an immune response that looks a lot like a disease response even once someone is immune to the immunogen itself. Oh, and there are no pathogens that don't mutate, because nucleic acids don't work that way, so the overwhelming majority of them have different strains anyway. So you can catch most diseases more than once.
Well, I didn't mean "Don't mutate, full stop", I meant "Don't mutate to such a degree the immune system's unable to recognise them" (eg not having different antigens present).

I'm just curious if there's any diseases that have managed to outright ignore our immune system's immunity system.

Well, if that's what you're after, there are intracellular bacteria; they don't so much ignore our immune system as hide from it inside our cells. Salmonella is among them -- and Salmonella not only ignores our immune system by doing so, it intentionally triggers an immune response in order to have the immune system kill the other gut flora with oxygen radicals.

The by-products of which it then eats, by the way.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: September 12, 2017, 06:22:33 am »

Do we lose anti bodies over time? Doesn't it get crowded if we don't?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: September 12, 2017, 07:04:15 am »

This is if my 6th form level of education is A) being remembered correctly, and B) Correct
basically, yeah
related wiki reads for those interested
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_cell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_cell
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 637