Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895821 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3975 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:00 am »

Perhaps this excerpt from MLK Jr's The Other America speech will help shed some light on the question.
But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. [snip] And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.
My personal interpretation is that riots are what happen when protests, violent or non-violent, are not successful. Thus, "Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention."
Here's the full text of the speech. It might help you dig deeper into the question.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: August 24, 2017, 04:56:18 am »

Ah, but you wouldn't talk about the 'Occupy Wall Street Riots'. And Stonewall certainly was successful.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: August 31, 2017, 05:22:16 pm »

I want to send a file to a friend.  It's over 3MB, or whatever the new limit is for Skype.
How can I do this.  It... it has to still be simple, right?

It's just one man! /s
but really, it's just one person.

Edit: I had a private server for months after I was fired, which was so useful while I was employed.  It's gone now.  Help?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: August 31, 2017, 05:24:32 pm »

Send him a link to mediafire, dropbox, or whatever other temporary file hosting service you choose. Dropbox is my favorite and IIRC the easiest to set up a new account for.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: August 31, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »

Dropfile may be useful, too. Don't need an account at all. Only stores stuff for 24 hours, though, which may or may not be a benefit. Upl.co is like that, too, just with a (much) longer hosting period. I forget exactly what sort of files it's okay with, or what its limits size wise are(n't), though. Is what I use for most image hosting I do, these days.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:30:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: August 31, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »

Does anyone know what actually happened to the Chinese treasure fleet?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:24 pm »

Ah... apparently? Checking, anyway. They went out a few times, came back, and then idled around until decommissioned, or whatever the equivalent of it was at the time. Far as folks seem to know they were either broke down or rotted out and subsequently sunk.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: August 31, 2017, 06:16:20 pm »

Wrong, they were lost when they discovered Rook Island and attempted to claim its riches. Ultimately, the power of that place consumed them, like a whale before the world's mightiest plankton.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: August 31, 2017, 10:42:54 pm »

I want to send a file to a friend.  It's over 3MB, or whatever the new limit is for Skype.

It's just one man! /s

Edit: I had a private server for months after I was fired, which was so useful while I was employed.  It's gone now.  Help?
Email it?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:14 pm »

It's just one man! /s

Probably the lowest-overhead solution is to just scp it -- or, if you must use Skype for some reason, tar it and split the tarball. tar -czvf and split -b 1 should do, at which point the parts can be rejoined on your friend's end with cat.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:55:16 pm by Trekkin »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: September 01, 2017, 01:07:04 am »

You can email stuff up to 25 MB (IIRC), so that's probably by far the easiest.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: September 01, 2017, 02:21:28 am »

Is snot recyclable?
Or, rather, would traces of snot adversely affect the recyclability of an otherwise-recyclable item? I just blew my nose on a serviette whilst standing next to rubbish bins of both varieties, and found myself hesitating a moment before consigning it to the landfill option. Was that necessary? Would a li'l bit of noise juice really be enough to mess with the recycling process?

Somehow I doubt it, but then some folks go to the trouble of washing their recyclables before throwing them out, so what would I know.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:11 am »

I think email would have worked...  Though there might be a file size limit for Gmail too.
Ended up using Megaupload, that worked fine.  I was just drunk and frustrated/surprised that Skype had a limit.  Thanks all!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: September 01, 2017, 10:14:00 am »

Yeh, gmail's is 25 megs, checking... though you can apparently receive attachments up to 50? Which isn't the most useful thing in the world, since most email services cap sending at around 25.

But yeah, bucketload of filesharing stuff. Particularly so long as it's not very sensitive it's dead easy to toss something big(ger than normal email attachment limits) at someone. Least so long as you got the upstream to get it online, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3989 on: September 07, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »

I'm trying to figure out what this kind of shirt is called so I can search for more pictures of shirts like it: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/6e/82/676e82b852f5b6b14f4a855a5b879744.jpg

What are some search terms that are going to show me more of these?
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 649