Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687589 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2250 on: April 10, 2016, 06:37:51 pm »

Shouldn't. Two semi-permeable membranes to stop the solute entering the pure water.
But if it has to flow down to...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 10, 2016, 07:14:44 pm »

As the water is re-filtered at the upper membrane on the way down to the generator, glucose would build up on the membrane, removing it from the main chamber below. Eventually there would be too much glucose jammed at that filter and not enough left down below to sufficiently raise the water level. Equilibrium reached.

I have no chemistry or maths training, so that's an educated guess. No idea how long it'd take.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:32 pm »

Let's see what would happen if there weren't a second membrane: the water goes up, flows through to the generator, then raises the amount of sugar in the pre-membrane side until it equalizes. Basic stuff.

So, what happens when we block it with a second membrane? You're trying to reverse-osmosis the water through that membrane using gravitation. That is impossible. Osmotic pressure is pressure, so it's not gravity you're looking for, it's pressure - and you need a gradient of it.

How much depends on the composition of the solution, but it's far more than you could reasonably generate by a water column of any reasonable height on Earth.

The solution simply wouldn't pass through the upper filter.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 10, 2016, 07:24:17 pm »

(Not actually adding anything to the conversation)
How much depends on the composition of the solution, but it's far more than you could reasonably generate by a water column of any reasonable height on Earth.

What do you consider reasonable?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 10, 2016, 07:43:19 pm »

I figured it must be something like that.  If we had a simple vertical tube with a membrane half way down and poured glucose solution into the top, it wouldn't go through?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 10, 2016, 07:59:27 pm »

Can you restart polls after it expires? More specifically, once it goes over the date you set it to expire on.

Edit: Problem has been solved, ignore this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:43:29 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 11, 2016, 02:33:31 am »

I don't believe so, that's a known issue. :-\
The only real workaround is to set the poll to never end at first, then you can just count the results yourself and re-use the poll when you want to.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: April 11, 2016, 03:24:45 am »

Or use a third-party site like Strawpoll.me.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:25 am »

(Not actually adding anything to the conversation)

What do you consider reasonable?
The amount of pressure depends on the concentration of the solution. Fresh water requires a minimum of 2 atm going by Wikipedia, requiring roughly a 10m (~33 feet) high column at least.

For solutions with higher osmotic pressure, like seawater, it's an order of magnitude larger and then some, and the column height scales accordingly - even if it was pretty low, to simplify calculations, it would require a 100m high column.

Now, don't forget, we're trying to get that column going by water's own osmotic pressure, that's where the logical fault lies. No matter how big it were, the pressure differential you're trying to get on the upper membrane cannot exceed the pressure you've gotten on the lower one.

The free energy you're apparently getting from the generator at a glance is in fact the energy you'd need to use to overcome the osmotic pressure at the upper membrane. If you artificially applied additional pressure on the water on the upper membrance, you WOULD get that kind of motion and generate power on the generator - except what you generate would inevitably be less than you used to power the piston.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: April 11, 2016, 12:12:50 pm »

Can you restart polls after it expires? More specifically, once it goes over the date you set it to expire on.
The answer is no, you shouldn't set an expiration date for polls. Just lock it and count manually, and unlock it the next time you need a poll in the thread.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2260 on: April 11, 2016, 12:38:23 pm »

So I have a set of data, each with a different uncertainty. To propagate the uncertainty to the average of those data is

(sorry about the LaTeX image weirdness), where A is the average of my values, u(ai) is the uncertainty of the value ai, and n is the number of data in the set, yes?

The A seems wrong to me, but I'm not sure.

E: never mind, my brother just confessed to accidentally giving me faulty information. I should just be able to average the uncertainties.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:02:07 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 14, 2016, 10:06:00 pm »

Would it be inappropriate to use the letter Thorne (like a B but with only one bump in the middle, used for the th sound/the letters th themselves as a pair) when writing in english?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:28 pm »

... usually, yes. There's very rare occasions when it's appropriate, but it should pretty much never be used in anything even resembling normal writing.

The vast, vast majority of english readers will have no idea what that is, or that a "letter Thorne" even exists. E: Tellingly, autocorrect set it to "Throne" and doesn't even recognize it as a word.

Though checking google shows that's because you misspelled thorn, heh. Still, no, it should pretty much never be used in modern english.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:15:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »

I ask because it's really convenient to me, it just seems like a very useful letter and should be reused. (Yeah I know me of all people wants to correct something in the English language)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »

... well, you're welcome to try, but don't expect anyone to know what it is, and expect to be marked points off for spelling if you use it in anything graded :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 637