Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at?

1920x1050 or above
- 23 (35.9%)
1680x1050
- 15 (23.4%)
1280x1024
- 18 (28.1%)
1024x768
- 7 (10.9%)
800x600
- 1 (1.6%)
640x400 or less (ouch)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: August 17, 2012, 11:38:11 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at? (POLL)  (Read 10624 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at? (POLL)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 05:05:12 pm »

You're missing 1366x768 from that poll. Its a laptop resolution.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:19 pm »

Depends heavily on what the inventory screen is doing, and how detailed the items are. If the thing can be summed up as a sword icon with a +1 over it or a bottle with HP or MP, and that's the absolute most complicated they get, then minimal would work. Not as much information means not as much requisite screen coverage.

If you've got something more along the lines of balder's gate or ToME4 complexity, you need to give it (a lot) more room. Insofar as personal preference goes, I prefer fullscreen, so to speak, inventories... usually.

It also depends on now much the stuff in that inventory interacts with the playing field. Something like a belt slot (or the ability to designate inventory slots arbitrarily to go in a sort of "active inventory" window) can help if significant non-equipped utility items are being considered. Also hotkeys, of course. ToME 4 or Incursion is my go-to example of hotkeys done pretty damn right. Not perfect, but a lot better than a lot of games that could use them.

My inventory serves two purposes:   The normal one of equipping your own character, and a secondary one of before combat you can use it to swap items between members of your party.   It uses an inventory screen that displays a paperdoll on the left and one on the right, with character cycling buttons above each.   You can then swap items between sides by holding SHIFT and clicking on an item.  So you can quickly equip lackies or exchange items fast.   

I currently solve the information problem in much the same way that ToME 4 does:  I use hover-over mouse pop-ups.    I plan on expanding the current display to include comparing the item you are equipped with to the item you are hovering over, such as Diablo 3 and Skyrim and such do.   

I have not addressed hotkeys yet, but definitely will look at ToME 4's method and see how they do it.   

Voted 1680x1050, but it's actually only 1600x900.

Noted, will test it as well.   

Running on 1360x768, so I can't really pick any of the options above.

Thanks, will add that resolution to the list to test.

My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600.... but I'm the only person I know who can run that resolution.  I play things like DF windowed... but a window size that's probably as large as many of the full monitor resolutions listed so far in this thread.

Well now I have no way to test a resolution that big..    I may have to recruit you at some point.  =P

You're missing 1366x768 from that poll. Its a laptop resolution.

Indeed, seems quite a number of people are using that resolution.   I believe my laptop supports and uses that resolution, so I will definitely add it to the testing list.   

----------------------------------------------------

As it stands, I believe I'm going to be able to implement a custom resolution option.   My options screen will include the "standard" resolutions listed in the poll and the ones commonly reposted here in the replies, and also a "Custom Resolution" option.   You select that, and enter in the dimensions you want.   It will bounds check them for minimum size and for aspect ratio conflicts.   I don't see any reason why that won't work with the way the game currently works. 

Tested and working:  1680x1050, 1440x900, 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, 1366x768, 1600x900, 1360x768, 1366x1024, 1400x900
Not working:  640x480, anything lower than 800x600

I noticed with some of the resolutions, such as 1366x1024, there was a one to three pixel margin of error with the mouse detection routines.   Meaning sometimes you could be on the border of an icon rather than on the icon and still get the hovertips or click on it.   That may end up being something that just gets accepted since figuring it out could be like splitting strands of hair.   

Independent Game Developer

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:43 pm »

My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600.... but I'm the only person I know who can run that resolution.  I play things like DF windowed... but a window size that's probably as large as many of the full monitor resolutions listed so far in this thread.

Well now I have no way to test a resolution that big..    I may have to recruit you at some point.  =P

I would be happy to help!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:05 pm »

Have you considered making text a minimum number of pixels, and truncate it or give it more screen real estate if necessary? That might help the tiny resolutions.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

I should offer my 2 cents, You should offer minimum 1366x768 as that seems to be minimum for most current generation laptops (except some older netbooks go lower, 800x600 would be ideal minimum resolution)
Maximum resolution or even native you shouldn't really need to go above 1920x1080 as that's HD tv format and pretty much standard these days.
By all means test different resolutions above this, but i don't see anyone having problems if you make the game 1920x1080 and they try to run it on a larger monitor as they should already be able to scale down to a standard HDtv resolution with ease, for things like playing blueray movies and etc.
Edit: I think my last CRT monitor could reach stupidly large resolution, something like 3200x2400 (yes that's an insane resolution, my desktop couldn't go this high, it ended up with something like 2000x1500 taking up 2/3 of the screen, with the rest black space.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:33:18 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 03:23:08 am »

I should offer my 2 cents, You should offer minimum 1366x768 as that seems to be minimum for most current generation laptops
What about the 34.2% of people who voted at something below 1366x768? Making the game unplayable for 1/3 of the target population isn't a good thing.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:37 am »

1920x1080 here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 03:47:45 am »

mine is a laptop res of 1600x900 (i think).
I voted 1680x1050 because thats the closest.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:27 am »

1920x1080.

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 05:13:38 am »

Have you considered making text a minimum number of pixels, and truncate it or give it more screen real estate if necessary? That might help the tiny resolutions.

I'm currently putting the text problem on the backburner, since it's something I can work with at anytime and continue on with the rest of the development.  I know the game runs from 800x600 and up, and the text is legible 100% at 1024 and up, and mostly read-able at 800x600.   For the 800x600 resolution, I think simply giving all text a solid black background to increase contrast will address the problem quite neatly.  So all future text displays I'm making sure they have the capability of having a black background.   

I should offer my 2 cents, You should offer minimum 1366x768 as that seems to be minimum for most current generation laptops (except some older netbooks go lower, 800x600 would be ideal minimum resolution)
Maximum resolution or even native you shouldn't really need to go above 1920x1080 as that's HD tv format and pretty much standard these days.
By all means test different resolutions above this, but i don't see anyone having problems if you make the game 1920x1080 and they try to run it on a larger monitor as they should already be able to scale down to a standard HDtv resolution with ease, for things like playing blueray movies and etc.
Edit: I think my last CRT monitor could reach stupidly large resolution, something like 3200x2400 (yes that's an insane resolution, my desktop couldn't go this high, it ended up with something like 2000x1500 taking up 2/3 of the screen, with the rest black space.

Minimum resolution barring anything new causing problems will be 800x600.   Every resolution above that including custom is already working.   You can plug in 1384 by 905 if you wanted and it would work.   I even tried 1024x1024 and it worked.   Looked weird but it worked and was playable.   For resolutions above my own 1680x1050, when I reach a stage where I'm comfortable letting the executable out into the wild I will request some playtesters to help out.   

mine is a laptop res of 1600x900 (i think).
I voted 1680x1050 because thats the closest.

That works fine!  Both resolutions are working and supported.   Thanks for adding it. 
Independent Game Developer

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »

Would it be horrible of me to tell you that my Maximum is Zero?

(Sorry, couldn't resist anymore.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »

1024 x 768

Now, that is not to say my computer is bad, far opposite. In fact I'm not very knowledgeable about far far it can go when it comes to running games, it is more powerful than any other computer I've had.

However it is the monitor that limits me, it cannot go any resolution higher than 1024 x 768. I'd upgrade it, but I have far more important things to spend my meager amount of money on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 12:00:47 am »

1024x768 is a perfectly reasonable resolution, nonetheless.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 03:44:08 am »

1280x1024... :( Ever since I switched to flatscreens.

One of these days, maybe a year and a half from now, I'll be able to afford to build a new computer from scratch for the first time in 7 or 8 years, and I'll go hardcore on the monitor.

But upon inspection it appears they're still just as bloody expensive as I remember them being years ago. Usually, improvements in computer technology combined with my being broke all the time mean that when I can finally afford an upgrade, it looks like WICKED SHIT to me, even though it's the cast-off obselete garbage.

But not with monitors of high resolution. The price to resolution ratio feels like it's not going anywhere as the years go by. Just more contrast and stuff like that.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 04:03:31 am »

1280x1024... :( Ever since I switched to flatscreens.

One of these days, maybe a year and a half from now, I'll be able to afford to build a new computer from scratch for the first time in 7 or 8 years, and I'll go hardcore on the monitor.

But upon inspection it appears they're still just as bloody expensive as I remember them being years ago. Usually, improvements in computer technology combined with my being broke all the time mean that when I can finally afford an upgrade, it looks like WICKED SHIT to me, even though it's the cast-off obselete garbage.

But not with monitors of high resolution. The price to resolution ratio feels like it's not going anywhere as the years go by. Just more contrast and stuff like that.

Keep an eye out for good deals.  I got mine for more than half off, and it was only a couple months used with a full transferrable warranty.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4