Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at?

1920x1050 or above
- 23 (35.9%)
1680x1050
- 15 (23.4%)
1280x1024
- 18 (28.1%)
1024x768
- 7 (10.9%)
800x600
- 1 (1.6%)
640x400 or less (ouch)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: August 17, 2012, 11:38:11 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at? (POLL)  (Read 10617 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: What is the maximum resolution you can play a game at? (POLL)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 03:54:02 am »

This laptop hits 1366x768, but my old one could do Something higher, maybe 1440x1024 or something.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 03:54:34 am »

This is really helpful responses, I had no idea the variety of resolutions out there.   Most of my game playing friends are running high-end rigs with dual monitors, and I always felt like the "little" guy only having dual 1680's when most of them are running 1920 at a minimum.   Had I not decided to post this poll, I might have ended up making the minimum resolution WAY too high.   Please keep the opinions and personal setups coming in, it is NOT going to waste!
Yeah, I wouldn't say enormous monitors/dual monitors are standard at all- especially among indie gamers, many of whom are cheapasses as well. I even once used a netbook with some godawful resolution like 1024x600, or something. There were a few games that just didn't scale small enough along the vertical axis (such as I Wanna Be The Guy).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 03:58:01 am »

1366 x 1024, oldish laptop. Seems fine to me, and is usually supported in the games I play.

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:52 am »

This laptop hits 1366x768, but my old one could do Something higher, maybe 1440x1024 or something.

Well so far I've had no problems going as low as 800 x 600, and even 640x480 looks fine as far as the graphics go.   The problem is the text.   I use a TTF, and transform down from 1680x1050, and everything looks great except the text becomes illegible below 800x600, although it's much better in full-screen than windowed.   Anything above 800x600 is fine.   640x480 is graphically playable, but the text is just a bunch of noise.   -sigh-    Working on it.  =P   

From what I can tell, unless a miracle sprouts, the minimum resolution will probably be 800x600, however all of the windows and such will be resizable.

Thoughts on inventory screens:   Do you as players prefer an inventory screen that fills up the whole screen, or a minimal screen that just gets the job done?    Currently if I enlarge the inventory screen to fill the entire screen rather than about 75% of it as it does now, it -might- enable 640x480 resolutions to have clear enough text to be playable.   
Independent Game Developer

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

Depends heavily on what the inventory screen is doing, and how detailed the items are. If the thing can be summed up as a sword icon with a +1 over it or a bottle with HP or MP, and that's the absolute most complicated they get, then minimal would work. Not as much information means not as much requisite screen coverage.

If you've got something more along the lines of balder's gate or ToME4 complexity, you need to give it (a lot) more room. Insofar as personal preference goes, I prefer fullscreen, so to speak, inventories... usually.

It also depends on now much the stuff in that inventory interacts with the playing field. Something like a belt slot (or the ability to designate inventory slots arbitrarily to go in a sort of "active inventory" window) can help if significant non-equipped utility items are being considered. Also hotkeys, of course. ToME 4 or Incursion is my go-to example of hotkeys done pretty damn right. Not perfect, but a lot better than a lot of games that could use them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:06 am »

Voted 1680x1050, but it's actually only 1600x900.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »

Running on 1360x768, so I can't really pick any of the options above.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:40 pm »

My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600.... but I'm the only person I know who can run that resolution.  I play things like DF windowed... but a window size that's probably as large as many of the full monitor resolutions listed so far in this thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

There's a point where it just gets ridiculous. If you can't see the entire screen without significant portions being in your peripheral vision, it's too big :P My 1920x1080 monitor is almost there already.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 03:31:23 pm »

My monitor is 1366x768.  I don't know how high my system could support, I doubt too high though.
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »

There's a point where it just gets ridiculous. If you can't see the entire screen without significant portions being in your peripheral vision, it's too big :P My 1920x1080 monitor is almost there already.

I kind of agree with this.  I don't actually care to have a physically large monitor.  While 30" isn't too bad after getting used to it (and sitting as far back from it as possible), I would never get anything larger.  I'm only after two things:  pixel density for a sharper picture, and more real estate.  More pixels = more stuff fits on your screen = doing more stuff more efficiently.  I think 24" is the perfect physical size, but it's near impossible to find even 1920x1200 in that size anymore.  I haaaaate 16:9 ratio for computing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 03:51:13 pm »

1920x1080, full HD. I have a gigahertz RADEON HD 7970, I run all games at max resolution, full detail and at least x2 anti-aliasing.

I should be upgrading to 2560x1600 sooner or later.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »

My monitor is 1680x1024. My computer is pretty decent though, so I could run most stuff at a higher resolution.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

Voted 1680x1050, but it's actually only 1600x900.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »

My monitor is 1680x1024. My computer is pretty decent though, so I could run most stuff at a higher resolution.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4