Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335059 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #2250 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »

My point is, we need some other ship to take us to Mars and the asteroid belt. It needs to be reusable, easily maintained, and capable of keeping a few thousand people alive for...let's say two years, several months minimum but the two years gives us time for the asteroid belt operations.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:38 am »

My point is, we need some other ship to take us to Mars and the asteroid belt. It needs to be reusable, easily maintained, and capable of keeping a few thousand people alive for...let's say two years, several months minimum but the two years gives us time for the asteroid belt operations.

The sheer cost of utilizing one ship would be enormous, and it would jeopardize the entire mission.  Therefore, I propose that we send multiple rockets with 100 people or so to keep costs lower and so that one catastrophic failure does not end the entire mission.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:27 am »

The sheer cost of utilizing one ship would be enormous, and it would jeopardize the entire mission.  Therefore, I propose that we send multiple rockets with 100 people or so to keep costs lower and so that one catastrophic failure does not end the entire mission.
Actually, the more rockets you use, the more your operation costs. For instance, you're going to have to carry much more weight (engines, and stuff) and loose much more energy and need more hull material (square cube law). The bigger your ship is, the cheaper the operation becomes, and the larger the survival chance of the people inside.

You only get a launch frame every 2 years, so traveling in a group or travelling in one ship doesn't really matter. The proposed 250 man orbiter ship is reuseable, and has it's own build in lander.

Also, unless you're using Vasimirs, 2 years are not going to be enough to go to the asteroid belt and back.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:59 am »

Are we entering B.O.O.Z.E. territory? There will be an A.I., but it is best to have powerfull political figures remain organic so they can appeal to the masses. We could make a backup of their brain, by taking a random migrant, erasing his brain and then uploading the leader's brain.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »

GUYS

Do not go for the diamond planet.

Diamonds are worthless crystals that are only valuable because of monopoly control - when word gets out that you're hauling fifty tons of perfect diamond back to Earth, the value would plummet astronomically (haw haw).

Instead, to make money on Earth, build a nuclear goods company. Mine and enrich uranium, preferably in international waters or Lichtenstein. Blast off to space with nuclear rockets (nobody will care, because you're in international waters/Lichtenstein). Set up an asteroid-mining operation on a sizable asteroid like Pallas, get more uranium, enrich it in space, and launch from there. Nuclear power will work for your base and additional rockets, bringing the right materials will allow you to build more rockets while already in space. Rocket around, collecting valuable minerals (platinum! bonus is that you can use it for labware) and materials necessary for your space base.

This way, your Earth business will be profitable, it will make even more profits once you start asteroid-mining, you can seamlessly switch to space mode once you've developed rockets and you'll have a self-sufficient space base with the means of making more self-sufficient space bases.
My wooden badge was delicious.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »

GUYS

Do not go for the diamond planet.Is there a diamond planet? I prefer my insanity sligthly logical, not completely random.

Diamonds are worthless crystals that are only valuable because of monopoly control - when word gets out that you're hauling fifty tons of perfect diamond back to Earth, the value would plummet astronomically (haw haw).

Instead, to make money on Earth, build a nuclear goods company. Mine and enrich uranium, preferably in international waters or Lichtenstein.Nuclear goods embargo. The US has the habit of invading/ embargoing anyone who has nuclear capabilities and doesn't fit exactly to their whishes. International waters ain't going to save us. We're not going to get any of the needed tech, Blast off to space with nuclear rockets (nobody will care, because you're in international waters/LichtensteinInternational space treaty. Unless you're using a standard nuclear powered rocket, which only works in space.). Set up an asteroid-mining operation on a sizable asteroid like Pallas, get more uraniumAsteroids don't contain uranium or other heavy minerals. The further out you go, the lighter things become., enrich it in space, and launch from there. Nuclear power will work for your base and additional rockets, bringing the right materials will allow you to build more rockets while already in space. Rocket around, collecting valuable minerals (platinum! bonus is that you can use it for labware) and materials necessary for your space base.

This way, your Earth business will be profitable, it will make even more profits once you start asteroid-mining, you can seamlessly switch to space mode once you've developed rockets and you'll have a self-sufficient space base with the means of making more self-sufficient space bases.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: October 11, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »

Lichtenstein, then.

And there are multiple planets composed of graphite and diamond it was mentioned in another thread like look it up omg srsly gaiz
My wooden badge was delicious.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »

Lichtenstein, then.

And there are multiple planets composed of graphite and diamond it was mentioned in another thread like look it up omg srsly gaiz
Nope. Lichtenstein, nor any of the other (European) micronations is going to save you. Really, these days nations are trying to keep a rather thight leash on things.

Besides, if you come barging in, saying we have shouldn't do anything that hasn't been planned, mentioned or referenced at all and follow on by stating a plan that looks similair to what we were already planning, only with several errors and illogicalities in, you can expect people to be confused.

Despite common believe, not everyone reads every page of the forum.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: October 11, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »

Lichtenstein, then.

Dude. Focus on getting out of the solar system before going for carbon worlds.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: October 11, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

I agree. We should build our (Mars?) Colony first, build our own planet after a long time of terraforming, build another ship while we're on Mars, and then go even further.
No. Put the brains in spaceships. With plenty of processing power and the ability to produce humanoid avatars.
Not what I had in mind, but something like this. A Dorfputer on steroids, maybe.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: October 11, 2012, 04:49:45 pm »

I think we could make money through a combination of exporting power (solar power would be cheap to produce; a band of solar panels 5-10 meters wide around the Lunar equator would let us export tons of power and make a profit), tourism, and selling overpriced crap to the tourists. Agriculture could also be somewhat more productive on Luna due to the lack of weeds and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: October 11, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »

Yeah, but that's kind of canceled out by the fact that we'd have to import arable soil.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 11, 2012, 04:57:53 pm »

Well, we'd need to do something eventually if we wanted to attack Earth. What else would we do once the groundhogs cut off food imports, eat our own...our own...
Excrement.
We could fertilize the soil with feces!
Sig

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 11, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »

There's no soil on the moon. Only regolith. Regolith not like soil. It is like finely ground glass shards.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: October 11, 2012, 04:59:50 pm »

There's no soil on the moon. Only regolith. Regolith not like soil. It is like finely ground glass shards.
Export incredibly fine glass paper?
I'm sure that's valuable.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 192