Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335429 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF?
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »

I still dont think the moon is a good idea for invading earth, as we would have to rely on trade from earth (derp). How would we invade then!? Plus, there would be a huge state if anarchy after, which would be a pain in the ass to deal with.

So, lets come up with a super overly complicated plan for taking over the earth, were all the possibilities of things that could go wrong are covered.

^Only on this forum could i post that. This derail is BADASS.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »

I still dont think the moon is a good idea for invading earth, as we would have to rely on trade from earth (derp). How would we invade then!? Plus, there would be a huge state if anarchy after, which would be a pain in the ass to deal with.

I had assumed that our colony would be cooperative anarchistic community to begin with, so I'm not seeing the problem with that. I'm also not really for the whole "Invasion" deal, either. Assimilation/conversion is more my cup of tea.

This derail is BADASS.

As are most things that I involve myself with.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »

Sieging Earth. What a grand concept. We wait until toady implements attacking other places of course, to rack up experiance. I see no one has found a embark. I shall put all resources I have and all i can borrow to this endevar.

'Sir, they took out West Africa! We need Japan down here right the fuck now!'
"Aim at the big red spot! Fire everything!"
'Sir, we hit for maximum damage! Jupiter is retreating! The moon has pulled back to bombardment distance, and Io is still floating out there somewhere. I thought Venus was going to support us? WHERE IS OUR SUPPORT?!'
"We've spotted Venus. What's left of them, anyway. It appears Mar was fully operational."
'Great mother of mercy. We're doomed without that support.'

My life is now complete. I have achieved nirvana with this derail.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:22 pm »

I always thought there was only 1 DF player and Bay 12 member. A schizophrenibc, insane genius with thousands of different people as personalities.
In that case, a lot of me is really stupid and annoying.

So, lets come up with a super overly complicated plan for taking over the earth, were all the possibilities of things that could go wrong are covered.

^Only on this forum could i post that. This derail is BADASS.
Oh, for the love of...Read The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, then we'll make our lunar military plans. In the meantime, note that if we aren't stupid enough to ship our water to the Earth in the form of wheat, we should be able to manage a biosphere if we can restrain from flooding our own farms with magma every time something goes wrong or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2012, 09:09:27 pm »

Olympus mons. We need to go there. Largest Volcano in the solar-system, possible life-forms, lots of clay, sediments below volcanic formed rock layer. Underground water. Iron. Oceans of Magma below surface.
Size compared to the state of Hawaii:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HOWEVER, If the plans for invasion of earth are leaked, we may need a farther away spot. This would need to have alot of material, and be far away from government interference/ethical standards.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:17 pm »

On one hand, Olympus Mons is probably the best place to go if we want dwarfiness. If we still want contact with Earth--say, if we leave during the early days of space colonization--somewhere on the Moon would be best. Titan, perhaps Europa (if we solve the temperature problem and/or live in underwater habitats), or an extrasolar terrestrial planet would be the best bets if we don't want to spend a fortune on terraforming.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2012, 09:25:16 pm »

Olympus mons. We need to go there. Largest Volcano in the solar-system, possible life-forms, lots of clay, sediments below volcanic formed rock layer. Underground water. Iron. Oceans of Magma below surface.
Size compared to the state of Hawaii:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HOWEVER, If the plans for invasion of earth are leaked, we may need a farther away spot. This would need to have alot of material, and be far away from government interference/ethical standards.
Butttttttttttttt
I hate to ruin you plans, but it would be a HUGE project to be able to settle there. Since we are talking about an invasion of earth, for some reason, we would probobly have to be self sufficiant, as in engineering plants and animals that can grow/live there, or making places that we can plant/farm things, and sleep, and even just breath. Though i havint really looked it up, i would guess that the air there is toxic/we are unable to breath it, and that its insanly cold. Water is another problem im not even going to bring up.

As for the "life forms", that probobly just means a small chance of there being single-celled bacteria, not very complex(or is it??????).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »

As for the "life forms", that probobly just means a small chance of there being single-celled bacteria, not very complex(or is it??????).
Well they don't kow about the magic material deep in the earth, so how are they expected to know everything. Hell, They don't even believe that GCS exists!

The place has magma, which pretty much completely in one stroke solve the heat problem. Better still, it is mostly underground, allowing for us to heat water with minmal chance of !!FUN!!. Another, possibly more crucial point is it has water underground. Sure, by water I mean "water-saturated clay", but still, we could distill it. Or we could set up a auxilliary putpost in the far north for importing ice, and melting it down with our magma. And with your air problem, your solution is to go to the moon? Where there is lots of air? Never! We will import air in the begginning until our plants could allow for sufficient replacement from our carbon intake.

The oft-mentioned "muscle weakening" which is common in low-gravity eniroments would be irrelevant since we're all clearly working our ass off/training for war.

Also, trading is limited, as i believe the time is 4 years from earth to mars and back. Clearly, we need to make it worth their while.

While I was typing this, a thought occured that the current problem with space traval, mainly, little use and massive costs, could be avoided if they send us stuff and we send stuff back. Until we rebel, but it will be pretty good for earth, until that point.

What about relatives? I want some of my relatives along, as well as other people. We ned to set up some system, a majority of DF palyers is needed, excepting the neighbors/laborers. Plus it'll get all sad when people want to go but relatives want to stay. It'll end up like the migratory master weaponsmith and his family of cheesemakers, but on a far more expensive scale.

EDIT: Sorry, in the night my spelling skills suffer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:28:05 am by misko27 »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:36 am »

Well theydo't kow about the magic material deep in the earth, so how are they expected to know everything. Hell, They don't even believe that GCS exists!
Dude, lay off the shrooms. We're smuggling them, not eating them. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2012, 02:11:00 am »

If no one's mentioned it, the Dwarf Fortress Players steam group has almost a thousand people. I doubt steam represents the majority of the community, but it might give you an idea.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dfplayers

There's also another kind of big group, but I don't remember it, and the two probably overlap a lot in members. Someone's probably already linked it.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:06 am »

So, what I think is... Wait, what was the question again?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »

So, what I think is... Wait, what was the question again?

Uh, well, first it was how many people play DF, then it was could we colonize mars, then it was test tube babies, now its:
So what is the question again?
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »

Where would a invasio of earth take place? where is our landing site I mean? We need a place that is incapable of ounting sufficient defense, set up a bridge-head (or what ever is the corresponding term for inter-planetary warfare), and use nearby esources to crush our enemies. Switzerland? Australia? some place eweak, but with much in the way of resources.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

Where would a invasio of earth take place? where is our landing site I mean? We need a place that is incapable of ounting sufficient defense, set up a bridge-head (or what ever is the corresponding term for inter-planetary warfare), and use nearby esources to crush our enemies. Switzerland? Australia? some place eweak, but with much in the way of resources.
I agree. Before we go yelling random things that we are going to do, we need to make a damn plan, like, example, were we are going!?! Come on guys we need to come up with this simple stuff before we can be like "lol magma waTr invad erth".

First, we need to find out were we are going

Second, we need to come up with an overly complicated plan to thrive there independantly without Earth (If we are planning to invade)

Third, if we are going to invade, we cant just show up unarmed, we need to be well-equiped, well trained, etc. We also need some really clever battle plans, as we are probobly going to be taking on force mach larger then our own 100% of the time, but that shouldent be to hard, considering we all play DF. I have a one right here that can easily wipe them ou- [Content deleted by the American Government]

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:08 pm »

What the hell has happened to this thread.

This topic needs a badge or medal. This is the largest and greatest topic derailment I have ever seen; This needs a topic of its own.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 192