Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 5 - That's the last of them. [Game Over!]  (Read 62815 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 5 - The Crown of the Keeper [Day 1]
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:58 am »

Urist Imiknorris: Say someone gave you the One Ring and you're hostile non-town. What would you do if someone asked you to prove your townhood my proving that you don't have a double vote (which you would)? If you found a way to explain that away, how would you handle being asked to give the ring away? If you obtained the ring some other way (meaning that the previous owner can't confirm that you have the ring) would you risk using the ring and revealing you have it (thereby opening yourself up to the above questions) or do something else with it?
I'd claim either brother or martyr, and would only use the ring's effect after claiming. I'd probably end up using its kill as a second lynch though.

Dariush: If you obtained the Legacy Weapon would you ever use it if so why?
At LYLO, if I'm convinced that the person being lynched is town, to kill someone I'm convinced is scum.
That's a remarkably silly use for a night action.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:29 am »

Sorry for the delay.

Quote from: MrD
Hapah: If you obtained a Wand of Safe Travels what would your reasons be for targeting a person with it?
More for the protect than the track. The track is useful, but there's no guarantee that I'd catch the scum doing something naughty even if I tracked one.

Quote from: UI
Hapah: Who are you most afraid of in this game and why?
No one person in particular. Generally newer players moreso that veterans. The newer players are easier for scum to lead along, veterans have better odds to find holes in arguments and sense motives because they've been doing it longer. There are exceptions, of course (Theo did damn good in the current BM, imo), but these are my thoughts on the matter. Mind answering the same question you asked me?

Quote from: Dar
Hapah, who, do you think, would be most detrimental to town if he were town?
It's funny; every time I think about this one my answer changes. I've put the two best ones below, I'd say they're about equal. If it has to be a specific person, I'd say BMC: The deck seems kinda stacked against him. If he plays an iffy game, he very well might get lynched for newtells like he has a couple of games before where he was Town. If he plays an amazing game, he'll attract suspicion of being scum for playing "too good" relative to his past games.

Experienced players who make big slips when they "should know better". I'm talking about things like Toaster's "oops I'm an Officer" thing in the last Cybrid, or NF claiming the wrong item in Roguelike 4. Not only do you typically lose the experienced player (the only reason Toaster survived the Cybrid is because I was absolutely convinced he was a Cy and bluffed being a Guard to stall. Joke was on me that time), but it's also damn hard to glean information from people piling on the lynch because both Town and Scum have incentive to lynch(scum gets a free pass for the day, town think it's a scum that just dug his own grave).

Any lurker. A player can have the most impressive Mafia resume in the world; it won't help Town one bit if he only posts twice per game day.

Book: Can you send me some of that gin? I haven't been able to find a bottle around here for more than a month, and how can I play a Roguelike without my delicious Rogue spirits? :(

On a more serious note:

Book: Suppose you had a Scroll of Gifts/Scroll of Endless Riches. Would you carpetbomb everyone with it tonight, pick a few people tonight that you thought were less scummy, or hold it until you've got a better read?

Dar: What did you hope to gain from the question you asked me?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

?
Blackmage: If you encountered Excalibur (which allows you to be king for a day or use an inspection during the night), would you become king? When and why?
I'd use the inspection because I'd be able to better flesh out my suspicions if I could knock one person out or reveal that they are scum, and it'd be more useful to share with the rest of the town.

[/quote]
BMC: What will your strategy be for winning this game?
Making sure all of the scum and anti-town roles get lynched.

Hapah: I agree with everything you said. This won't end well D:.

zombie urist:What item do you think would be most useful on D1?

Dariush: You have two RVS votes on you. Do you think it's coincidental or that it this could end up becoming something by the end of the day?

NativeForeigner: Who do you think would be the most dangerous scum in this game?

Book: What, in your opinion, is the most dangerous item for scum to have?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

What are you going to do to prevent this?

zombie urist:What item do you think would be most useful on D1?
?oPermanent Scrying looks good. I'll be able to confirm people's actions.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 03:12:22 pm »

Mr.D:
Bookthras: If you were scum who would you eliminate? If you could protect a person from being eliminated who would you pick?
a) It would depend. Probably whoever I judge is least likely to be protected, or whoever is lurkiest.
b) do you mean if I'm scum? my scumbuddy would be first choice, of course. Otherwise I'd protect people who are engaged and hunting, or if I have a hunch of who the scum would target, I'd protect them instead.

BMC:
How?

Book: What, in your opinion, is the most dangerous item for scum to have?
Grayswandir. It gives scum two kills per night, one of them bypassing a protection. Failing that, the game the scum would be very dangerous with a scroll of solar flare (daykill) or a scroll of genocide.

Hapah:
Book: Can you send me some of that gin? I haven't been able to find a bottle around here for more than a month, and how can I play a Roguelike without my delicious Rogue spirits?

On a more serious note:

Book: Suppose you had a Scroll of Gifts/Scroll of Endless Riches. Would you carpetbomb everyone with it tonight, pick a few people tonight that you thought were less scummy, or hold it until you've got a better read?
I'll fax you some. Regarding the gift scroll, I'd probably wouldn't use it at all unless I had nothing better to use, I'm not too fond of the mechanic. If I had nothing else, I'd probably just use it on myself and on people I was pretty sure weren't scum (if any).

Zombie: Interesting choice (the ?o Permanent Scrying). How would you choose your target?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 03:31:19 pm »

Scelly9: Say you find out someone's a Warrior. What would you say the odds are that they're scum? What about Ranger? Paladin?
For warrior, my suspicions would be slightly higher. Pally and Ranger the same. I wouldn't base a case on it though, since I'm sure several people are going to choose random.

Scelley: Would you rather have the ?oEnchant Weapon or ?oCurse Weapon and why?
Curse weapon. I'd rather fuck up and block a vigilante type characters kill than fuck up and help the cultists.

Scelly, if you were town, whom would you most like on the town side?
I would say either Hapah, Irony, or Native.

Urist Imiknorris
, do you think Dariush's rage would be more useful to scum or town?

Mr. Dwarfinton, Would you rather play a town character with a kill or without one?

blackmagechill, Have you read all the previous RL mafias? Learn anything specific about this type?

You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:51 pm »

Mr. D: Suppose you had a ?oIll Will. How would you decide who to use it on?

Probably no one since I could end up screwing over a good guy.

Mr. Dwarfington: Say, as a townie, you stumbled across the One Ring (can only be given to a townie when first generated, makes you untargetable and unkillable when activated but has a 50/50 chance of telling everyone that you have it and deactivating. Non-town players get a kill and additional vote. Townies can freely give the One Ring to other players). How would you use the ring? When/if everyone finds out you have the ring, would you give it away? If so how would you figure out who to give it to?

I would probably use it since dying sucks. When I was found out then I probably would give it away to a person who was important to us townies.

Mr. Dwarfinton, Would you rather play a town character with a kill or without one?

That's a rather random vote.

Without one since I'll probably never be sure who is a bad guy and screwing over good guys is a pretty bad idea.

Scelly: I'll be throwing your question right back at you.

BMC: Say you found the Scroll of Genocide and you were scum, which class would you use it on? Say you found it as a townie. Would you use it all? If so then on what class?

IronyOwl: Who wouldn't you want to be scum if you were a townie? Who wouldn't you want to be a townie if you were scum?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 05:23:29 pm »

That's a rather random vote.
That would be the point.

Scelly: I'll be throwing your question right back at you.
If it was optional to use it, I would go with having a kill. If I needed to use it, then I would go with no.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

What are you going to do to prevent this?
Ideally avoiding stupid accusations and defending myself too much. I'd like to think I'm doing well, as we're almost two pages of game in and I don't have any votes.

blackmagechill, Have you read all the previous RL mafias? Learn anything specific about this type?
I read about half of the second one as I was following while I was in BYOP mafia 2, but that's it. So far it looks like a lot of the things that could decide the game are more up to chance than other game types, and it seems that the town is disadvantaged in that item use is hard to coordinate without an inventory claim.

BMC: Say you found the Scroll of Genocide and you were scum, which class would you use it on? Say you found it as a townie. Would you use it all? If so then on what class?
This is a tough one. If I actually ended up using it, I'd probably use it on paladins because their only intrinsic effect is that they will always show up town to an inspection, and that's only really useful for a mafioso or a third party. Paladins also start with a scroll of inspection, which is a common item that you'd have a middling chance to acquire over the course of the game. Not too useful to start with unless you want to be a one-shot cop. All this being said, I probably wouldn't use it at all for fear of a one-shot cop or a reverse psychologist scum.

BMC:
How?
Scumhunting and thorough use of items. Ideally the scum would be gracious enough to slip up and look scummy (which they invariably eventually do), but a scroll of inspection or a blocked, tracked kill would be helpful too.

Mr.D: Say you have a scroll of command. Do you use it on the scummiest looking person or the towniest person?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 09:14:49 am »

Dar: What did you hope to gain from the question you asked me?
I hoped to observe your interactions with the player you named and decide when you were trying a bit too hard for the easy lynch.

Dariush: You have two RVS votes on you. Do you think it's coincidental or that it this could end up becoming something by the end of the day?
Both. I've already been lynched on RVS votes alone (in KotM), and it's entirely possible that one of the people voting me currently is going to 'forget' he voted me at the day end.

Scelly, if you were town, whom would you most like on the town side?
I would say either Hapah, Irony, or Native.
Why Hapah?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »

Zombie: Interesting choice (the ?o Permanent Scrying). How would you choose your target?
Probably the person who's alignment I was least sure about.

Sorry for the delay.
What delay?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »

Dar: A good answer. Thanks. Unvote.

ZU: I'm normally really on top of posting, but RL has been rough the last few days.

Book: That is...not quite what I was expecting. Assuming we lynch today, you are saying that using the scroll to give yourself and the four (five?) other town doesn't outweigh giving items to the two scum? Could you outline your reasoning a little more, if possible?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »

How do you know there are 2 scum?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »

Considering all the crazy ideas I had last game (3 scum and a brother to a scum in a 10-player game? The hell was I thinking?), I'm just going to assume 2 scum until I have strong evidence to the contrary.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

Still 1+5+2 != 10.  >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18