Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20735 times)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 6: Run, Murkal, Run
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2012, 01:28:29 pm »

"Oh snap i got the ZAPPY HIT STAFF!"
Follow my new friend to the pub wait for night fall.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2012, 01:42:14 pm »

Murkal will head to any local fighter's guild or something similar, and ask around for any stories about these tentacle demons. Warn people that there might be more of the beasts lurking around...But, mostly try to garner information. Adventurers should know what these monsters are!

Also: WOO-HOO! Wizards again! Magic! Mystique! Enchanted daggers of +3 stabbing!

It's back!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:45:07 pm by Caerwyn »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

Del was tired of this fool. Not brave enough to fight, not smart enough to hide.

He put bow to violin, intent on playing a glacially slow dancing song he liked to call the 'Leaden Bolero'-it snagged the targets feet, turning them in place uselessly. He knew where the man was standing-that was enough.

And hopefully Lady Raven would hear the call, and finish this.

And maybe he'll get away, another part of Del says

Action: Cast an Earthgrabbing spell, pinning and spinning him in place, while calling out to Lady Raven in my mind.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:49:32 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »

"Oh god. This guy with lightning?"
Follow Derm. Take the two surviving rats, see if they can be healed w/flesh magic.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »

"Let purifying flame burn your souls of sin!"

Continue the attack! Another fireball at the water mage! He can't last much longer!
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »

Heal Cohen!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »

Stone Shape to make my club easier to wield. In other words, shape a hilt on it.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »

[Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades]

Just up and haul everybody off to the Port district.
You tell your companions to follow you and leave the nest for someplace seedier and way more fun. [Tavern Quality: 5][Tavern Safety: 1] A while later, you arrive at the Drunken Grue tavern in the Port District, which, according to rumors you've heard as an apprentice, is only a 'tavern' in a very broad meaning of the word.
Sure, it started out as a mere gambling den that served strong drinks, but then the Grue's owner bought out a whorehouse nearby and gave the working girls a 'perfect opportunity' to work for their own customers. Now, the drinks and playing cards are served by half-dressed ladies who will always try to get the customer turned on enough to, shall we say, give them an unusually generous 'tip' somewhere intimate.
The Grue is one of those dens of vices where you can find adventure behind every corner; said adventure usually carries a very sharp, very stabby knife on them and seeks out those who can't defend themselves. That's exactly why the Grue is mainly visited by bandits, bounty hunters and adventurers of the shadier sort - people who are eager to spend their money and bash in some skulls. If you want to find a rogue or a particularly thuggish fighter, this place is where you'll need to look.

You are standing in the Drunken Grue's crowded foyer. There are a couple of free tables, but most of them are standing in dark, suspicious corners where no one will pay attention to your screams if anything happens.
Many tables are taken by gamblers playing dice and card games, some of which are already fighting for each other's money. Many more are occupied either by people drinking themselves into oblivion or by those who have already done so. [Quest: 2] Out of these, the most notable one is a man in a fancy grey suit lying face-down on a table; there is no pouch to be seen anywhere on his body.
[Rogue: 1] When you look closer at one of the occupied chairs in the tavern's darker parts, you see someone dressed in leather armor. His skin is white as snow, and there's blood coming from two punctures in the side of his neck. His pouch is still hanging on his belt, and there is a dagger lying on the floor under his left hand.
[Fighter: 6; 6; 4] Next to the bar tap, a dwarf in heavy armor is downing whiskey like it was water. There is a pile of empty bottles slowly accumulating at his side, and a crowd of amazed onlookers cheering him on.

Spoiler: dermonster/Derm (click to show/hide)

"Oh snap i got the ZAPPY HIT STAFF!"
Follow my new friend to the pub wait for night fall.
You follow Derm to the pub... which turned out to be the legendary Drunken Grue, the No. 1 den of vices in the City... and try to wait there until the nightfall.

Three minutes later, you stop waiting. There are ladies here! Lightly-dressed ladies! And booze! And gambling! And a dwarf drinking booze! And a mysteriously dead person! And booze!
Despite the fact that you've graded above-average on your willpower tests in the Academy, you can't ignore so many distractions at once. You have to do something.

Murkal will head to any local fighter's guild or something similar, and ask around for any stories about these tentacle demons. Warn people that there might be more of the beasts lurking around...But, mostly try to garner information. Adventurers should know what these monsters are!

Also: WOO-HOO! Wizards again! Magic! Mystique! Enchanted daggers of +3 stabbing!

It's back!
Your mind turns red for a moment! You probably shouldn't have thought any red thoughts. Black thoughts work just as well.
You hear a violin playing from inside the hotel, and think it's a sign that you have to get the hell outta here. You jump from the tree and run for the Fighter's Guild: it should be somewhere near, on the neighboring street.

[Fighter's Guild: 5] The lobby of the Fighter's Guild looks pretty empty this early in the morning, but you can see a couple of heavily-armored people discussing something near the Guild's fireplace. You approach them and ask if they've heard anything about demons with huge tentacles who mask themselves as pretty women with hypnotic voices.
[Disposition: 6, 5] The youngest one of them - a tall man in his early twenties, wearing chainmail and wielding a spear - enthusiastically nods:
Youngster: "I don't know about any demons, but lots of renegade shapeshifters have been causing trouble lately. The Order of the Labris has even put a dead-or-alive bounty on people with illegal Flesh augmentations. What, did you see someone grow tentacles? Where did it happen?"
[Raven vs Murkal: 3 vs 3] You're about to tell them everything you know, but then consider whether it'd be wise to tell them the truth. After all, the basement you saw her in was a crime scene, and you broke into it to steal some nice booze. Maybe a small white lie would be in order?

Spoiler: Caerwyn/Murkal (click to show/hide)

Del was tired of this fool. Not brave enough to fight, not smart enough to hide.

He put bow to violin, intent on playing a glacially slow dancing song he liked to call the 'Leaden Bolero'-it snagged the targets feet, turning them in place uselessly. He knew where the man was standing-that was enough.

And hopefully Lady Raven would hear the call, and finish this.

And maybe he'll get away, another part of Del says

Action: Cast an Earthgrabbing spell, pinning and spinning him in place, while calling out to Lady Raven in my mind.
[Spellcrafting, Earth Lv2: 2] Unfortunately, you... can't really remember how to play the Leaden Bolero, let alone the details of the spell keeping the target in one place.
[Spellcasting, Earth Lv2: 1] You can, however, remember how to play that nameless song that causes all rocks in the vicinity to batter the target, and start playing it. And guess what? You, in your haste, have managed to designate the wrong target for the rocks: yourself. [Luck: 3] Fortunately, the only objects of stone that could fly at you are tables, and they've been fused to the tavern's floor.

[Raven, Flesh Lv2: 1] You hear Raven's voice saying something in a language you don't know and a jolt of ghostly pain shoots through your back. A scream comes from the basement; it sounds like Raven's.

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

"Oh god. This guy with lightning?"
Follow Derm. Take the two surviving rats, see if they can be healed w/flesh magic.
[Is It Aliiive?: 3] You perform a quick diagnostic spell on the rats to see if their vital organs are still salvageable. The one zapped by Bruce is undeniably, irreparably dead and it's probably no good for anything but a soup, but the other one seems to have its brain intact and functioning.
[Spellcrafting, Flesh Lv1: 3][Spellcasting, Flesh Lv0: 4] You put together a quick life-support spell that should keep the rat's lungs and heart pumping oxygen to the brain. The rat itself will remain comatose until further treatment, though.

After a while of walking with Derm, you arrive at the Drunken Grue. There are three things worth of note here: a heavily drinking dwarf in plate armor surrounded by worshipful audience, a noble in a fancy-looking suit who passed out from drinking too much, and a dead guy in the corner with bite marks on his neck.
And, of course, there are always the Grue's prostitute-barmaids serving drinks, if you're in the mood for a drink and some company.

Spoiler: Spinal_Taper/Mehrik (click to show/hide)

"Let purifying flame burn your souls of sin!"

Continue the attack! Another fireball at the water mage! He can't last much longer!
[Ardimis, Fire Lv2: 4] vs. [Cohen, Water Lv4: 3] The mage, healed by that witch accompanying him, rises and magically throws the cauldron's contents all over you and a little over his captives, disrupting your concentration and cutting off your current source of flames. Your fireball explodes, but the explosion is confined by water.
Judging by the look on the mage's face, he expected you to be boiled alive rather than just get soaking wet. Even so, his expression is oddly smug.

Before you can retaliate, the wall opens and some hunched figure drags the mage and his companion outside. A few moments later, the newly-opened tunnel mysteriously collapses, filling the room with dust.
Now the only enemy left is that tentacled... thing... that's blocking your only way out.

Spoiler: Orb/Ardimis Maximus (click to show/hide)

Heal Cohen!
[Spellcrafting, Lv2: 2] You try to remember a healing spell fitting the occasion, but the only thing that comes to your mind is the intuitive, spell-less healing, which could easily kill the target if done improperly. That said, Cohen is about to die anyway, so...
[Spellcasting, Lv2: 5] You heal Cohen better than you expected to. His burns recede, and he finds himself strong enough to cast some spell of incredible power.

Suddenly, the wall behind you opens and a long, muscular arm snatches you by the waist; you hear a gruff voice whispering into your ear:
Morul: "It's me, Morul. We're leaving. Don't wiggle around: I gotta do this one fast."
He then grabs Cohen and retreats deeper into the tunnel, whispering something; as soon as the whispering stops, the entire section collapses before your eyes. When the dust settles, Morul puts both you and Cohen on the ground and dusts himself off. Morul's red eyes glisten with a hint of a smile as he casts some spell at you and gives you a grandfatherly pat on the back. [Perception: 4] His breath smells strongly of wine - by which you mean actual wine fresh from the bottle, not the smell that people get after drinking it.
Morul: "Good job keeping Cohen alive, Vira; didn't think I'd see that boy alive again, not after he soaked up so much damage. You might have the affinity to be a good healer one day! Speaking of healing, did my spell get all of the burns?"
Checking yourself, you find nothing out of the ordinary: it's almost as if you didn't get hit by a fireball just now. The dwarf nods in contentment; he then turns to Cohen and starts whispering to him. Eventually, Cohen's eyes glaze over and he slumps down; Morul puts the mage over his shoulder and gestures for you to follow him deeper into the tunnels.
Morul: "The boy's a good Water mage, but lacks talent when it comes to tactics and battle. Plus, he's still hungover after last night, so I can't really judge him. He's going to walk around with no beard until he's applied those brains of his, though!"
Morul: "Now, Vira, I've seen that you don't know any good combat spells in Flesh or Soul schools. I can give you a couple if you want, but we'll need to establish a Soul-Link for that. You ready?"

Spoiler: IronyOwl/Vira (click to show/hide)

Stone Shape to make my club easier to wield. In other words, shape a hilt on it.
[Talarion, Stone Shape Lv1: 1] You morph a new hilt onto the club. It's... not at all the hilt you intended to make.
Good news is, this club will now break at least a few bones even if your hit glances off the target. Bad news is, these bones will probably be yours.

Quote from: Burly
Keep these tentacles away!
Burly: "Ardimis! Catch!"
[Give Healing Potion: 6, 1] Burly throws a healing potion to burning Ardimis, but the heat of battle makes his throw unsteady: instead of landing in Ardimis's hands, it smacks into the wall and shatters.

[Flesh Golem, Lv1 Grappling: 1] vs. [Burly, Axe Lv2: 4] The warrior chops off the new portion of tentacles about to wrap around his neck, and the creature that launched them staggers into the room.

The creature in question is a hairless, earless, eyeless humanoid, each of its arms replaced with eight long tentacles. Its skin is covered in black scales, and the long tongue hanging from its mouth is covered in black, shiny, pointy-looking crystals.
It's still wearing leather armor, a quiver with ten arrows still in it and tattered remains of a pilgrim's robe. Those allow you to identify the creature as Lanky, the fourth member of your little group.

Spoiler: Burly (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Cohen
Boil the Fire mage alive! And extinguish all possible sources of flames in the vicinity, while I'm at it.
[Cohen, Water Lv4: 3] vs. [Ardimis, Fire Lv2: 4] Healed by Vira, you find it in your power to rise and cast one more spell. This time, you'll have to make sure the thrice-damned pyromaniac will be completely unable to throw fireballs again.
You take all the water you can out of the cauldron and fling it at the mage and the burning prisoners next to him: they'll be extinguished, of course, but they'll also cease giving hot plasma for the bastard to collect into abnormally hot fireballs to fling at you and Vira. You take extra care to fill the mage's bag with water: you think you saw coal in there, and you don't want him to have any fuel.
Oh, wait, somebody cooled the water while you were rolling around burning: it's now merely unpleasant to touch rather than scalding. Well, that's a disappointment.

Moments later, the wall behind you opens and Morul's hands drag you into the tunnels. He collapses the tunnels behind him and puts both of you down on the ground. He then addresses Vira with... something you could call a grandfatherly smile if it wasn't placed on a face as monstrous as his own.
Morul: "Good job keeping Cohen alive, Vira; didn't think I'd see that boy alive again, not after he soaked up so much damage. You might have the affinity to be a good healer one day!"
He then turns to you, and a tone of displeasure enters his voice as he starts whispering:
Morul: "As for you, boy, you could have used the golem a lot better than that. You had control over it even before the transformation was complete, and it didn't need tentacles in order to distract the mages. And... what should you do right now?"
What should you... oh, right. You focus your mind on the blue wisp circling around your neck, your connection with the golem:
Cohen: "Kill them all."
Morul: "Well, at least you remember that much. Not going to give you your beard back until you show a better grasp of tactics, though. Keep an eye on our captives until we get to the safehouse, will you? Make sure the golem doesn't try to kill them as well because of your poor phrasing."
You nod and concentrate on one of your bracelets. The captive you're trying to possess, a bandit, is too distracted by the nightmarish creature before him to resist; you enter his body with no effort at all and start watching the battle.

Spoiler: Cohen (click to show/hide)

@Orb: Last turn, I forgot to roll your Roll Against Wounds for being on fire. This mistake has been fixed, and you got a 1.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:41:16 pm by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2012, 03:36:24 pm »

"Right. One of you go for the dwarf and the other go for the unconscious guy. I'll check out bitey."

Investigate apparent vampire victim. Attempt to invent "Get the fuck up you pansy" spell.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

"I've got the un-concious guy."
Drag the un-concious man out, mug him, and use water magic to drop some water on him.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »

Attempt to invent "Get the fuck up you pansy" spell.
((Hmm. Alas, the spell's name is too vague for me to divine the intended meaning behind it. What is it supposed to do?))

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »

((I noticed, but decided not to say anything  :P))

They got away! Blast it.

What is that thing!?....The captives!

"Keep that demon spawn at bay!"

Ardimis quickly looks over the state of the captives. He tries to free as many as he can, inventing an earth spell to break the restraints if he has to.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:31 pm »

((Well the intended result is that he is conscious, coherent, able to stand and speak/fight.))
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »

((Well the intended result is that he is conscious, coherent, able to stand and speak/fight.))
((But who do you mean by 'he'? Is it the vampire's victim or the unconscious noble?))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

"Right. One of you go for the dwarf and the other go for the unconscious guy. I'll check out bitey."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16