Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131270 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Autumn 937 AAL
« Reply #1245 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »

Osir looked at Sigurd and noticed that he had little on him. An axe and some leather, but no real armour, while this Erik wore Adranic steel. Not fair in the eyes of the gods at all.

Osir readied his own drakescale and unsheathed his blade, seeing Sigurd do the same. Before commiting himself to battle, he made a small plea.

"Fine armour Erik, fine armour, and yet you've not given your opponent even the lowest of protection! There is no honour in this, and for that the gods judge you."

Convince Erik that he needs to give Sigurd some kind of armour, for honour's sake. Whether he doesn't or not, go into defensive stance and try to get behind him, forcing him to leave a side undefended to either Sigurd or I. Aim for his legs.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 13, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »

Osir looked at Sigurd and noticed that he had little on him. An axe and some leather, but no real armour, while this Erik wore Adranic steel. Not fair in the eyes of the gods at all.

Osir readied his own drakescale and unsheathed his blade, seeing Sigurd do the same. Before commiting himself to battle, he made a small plea.

"Fine armour Erik, fine armour, and yet you've not given your opponent even the lowest of protection! There is no honour in this, and for that the gods judge you."

Convince Erik that he needs to give Sigurd some kind of armour, for honour's sake. Whether he doesn't or not, go into defensive stance and try to get behind him, forcing him to leave a side undefended to either Sigurd or I. Aim for his legs.

[2+1]  "So be it.  Jord, hand the exile a shield that he may fight evenly.  Now, which of you will duel me first?"
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 13, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »

Ril felt out of place in the thick woolen, fur-lined over coat he wore, resting in on of he cots, staying silent. He had to plan now, instead of just survive until Stormstead...and a multitude of plans were indeed racing through his sleep-deprived mind. A hand reached out for a sweet-meat, before he dropped it back to his side, fist clenching, before it slowly relaxed, thoughts of the game he caught and the mutton he poached drifted through his mind, eyes going blank, a strange smile curving his lips.

....Once you live the life of a vagabond and a thief...life doesn't seem as sweet as it did... he mused to himself, staying silent, reaching out to take a gold-crusted piece of white bread, if only to stare at it dully, then to drop it back on the plate, the hand reaching up to rub his throat, now, and the scars that ring it.

His hand drops back to the hilt of the sword under his jacket, tilting his head down and closing his eyes, shaggy blond hair falling about his face as he pretended to rest, the smile of peace finding his lips, even as his knuckles went white as they clenched and unclenched around the hilt of his blade.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:10:17 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 13, 2012, 09:26:48 pm »

(Ha, thought he meant we were to fight him at the same time  :P)

"Sigurd, mind me going first?"

Go first if Sigurd doesn't mind. If I do go first, then defensive stance and strike when he tires.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:29:19 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:04 pm »

As Ril feigned sleep, clutching his sword and axe in both hands, the door of the chamber opened almost without a sound.  A masked man in dark leather armour slid into the chamber and drew a sword of unfamiliar make.  He raised the blade for a clean stroke to the heart, then stabbed down hard - (3 vs 1, Surprise!) just as Ril rolled aside, drawing his weapons and aiming one clean stroke with the axe to his groin.  The assassin pulled away at the last moment, the axe-blade biting hard into his thigh.

Ril dropped to a crouch, bringing one leg around in a smooth roundhouse sweep, but the assassin leapt out of the way in a display of grace and agility despite his wound.  The assassin's sword sliced down in a smooth arc and cut away a piece of flesh on Ril's arm - which immediately began to burn with pain.

Ril and the assassin both decided to stop being fancy and just murder each other.  The assassin began a classic swordsman's manoeuver to trap his opponent, but Ril pulled off Scarlatti's Deception and turned a parry into attack, slashing the assassin deep in the back with his sword.

[4+1 vs 2, Escape!] The assassin turned tail and ran as Ril tried to drive home his advantage with another swordstroke.  He yanked open the door to the chamber and fled into a concealed servants' passage.  Ril hurled the handaxe after him, which lodged in the wall.  Ril decided to pursue, taking up the axe again and yelling after him.

"Hey!  Where do you think you're going?"

"Away!"

"You know I'm just going to make you hurt more if you keep running!"

Ril chased the assassin all the way to the roof before he lost him, the assassin's blood trail leading off the roof and toward the palace stables.  Ril prepared to follow, but felt his vision blur.  The pain in his arm had spread up and into his chest, which now burned.  He started to vomit blood.  Ril stumbled back into the palace, calmly requested help and then immediately fell into seizures.

Ril Emanhilde has been poisoned in an assassination attempt and is like to die!  Players in the palace or city may attempt Healing checks to save him.

(Ha, thought he meant we were to fight him at the same time  :P)

"Sigurd, mind me going first?"

Go first if Sigurd doesn't mind. If I do go first, then defensive stance and strike when he tires.

Your drakescale armour, besides being pretty damn impressive, is far better than even Erik's mail.  On the flip side, Erik is a skilled duellist with his axe, whereas your own skill is merely passable.  It will be an even fight.  He starts circling you, swinging his axe in the air.  You hold back, conserving your energy and guarding yourself at the expense of attack.  [4] He has the body of a boxer, so you'll need to hold for a while before he tires.

[2+1 vs 6] Erik starts with a full-on charge, which catches even your defensive stance off-guard.  His axe bites hard into your shoulder and you scream as he pulls it out.  [1+1 vs 5] He smashes you clean in the face with the shield, [5+1 vs 5] though you stumble out of the way as he follows up with the axe.  [1+1 vs 2] Erik pushes you to the edge of the circle of carls with a series of vicious strokes, which you narrowly block with your own shield.  [3+1 vs 1]  You force him back with a charge of your own, but don't bring your axe into it and pull away the moment you have space.  The two of you circle again and you see Erik's energy start to fall.  You press the advantage with an all-out attack, [5 vs 1-1, crit!] driving the edge of your shield into his gut and your axe head into his pelvic bone.  [2 vs 2-1] You wrench the axe out of his hip and force him to his knees with the shield, then bring the axe down with a firm clop! on his head, breaking both crowns.  The jarl falls, striking the hard earth of his longhall and spilling brain out upon the ground.

You reach down with a quivering hand and pick up the split circlet.  Leaning heavily on your axe, you stumble up to the high seat and collapse upon it, placing the broken crown upon your temple. You feel a smile touch your lips as Sigurd and the housecarls, uneasily at first but then with gathering speed, bend knee to you in service.

Then you pass out.

[4+1] The local holy man, another mute, dresses your wounds and sets your shoulder.  He seems confident it will heal by midwinter.  When you awaken and have conference with your second, Sigurd, he explains the details of the clan situation to you.  Although the clan at home does possess a number of berserker warriors for your campaign, the bulk of the war force is in the allied clans in the countryside.  They will come to your banner if you will offer them the loot and carnage they desire.

The question is how much loot you will offer your men when they invade your lands.  Two-thirds is customary, half is considered onerous, a fifth generous.  The remaining portion will go to your own coffers.  The greater a share you offer, the more clans will rally.  The lesser a share, the more loot you will receive.

You have heard nothing from Windheath since your journey, which is not surprising.  For all you know, Richard has already taken Stormstead.  On the other hand... you are a Jarl now.  Perhaps you should act like one.

Comte Osir Rechebig has become Jarl Osir of the Mjolndir Clan, which has three regiments of Berserkers.  Sigurd Mjolnsenn is his second.  Many more warriors can be raised if sufficient loot is offered.  Osir's Jarlship is dependent upon his offer to raid Windheath.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:19:06 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »

"Greetings, Milord. What brings you here?"

"Karas!"

Renart was astounded to see the assassin on Albert's case.

"I'm taking on the mantle of responsibility for aiding the King and heard of people who were also on the search from his bravos. Is anyone else on the case other than you? I'd like to aid in any way possible.

"Unless...this is a solo case that you've come up with. If you have any others, I'd like to extend my support to them. Do you have any leads me and my men can commit to?"

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 13, 2012, 11:32:41 pm »

"I was assisting Saer Talinth, and he was the one that found the cloth. So extend your gratitudes to him. But he was also afflicted by, but survived, the Grey Death"
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 13, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »

Make Sigurd explain the Kraken NOW. As jarl, it is of practical importance.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2012, 12:21:55 am »

Renart turned to give the Assassin a serious, flat stare.

"A Knight, going by the name of Talinth, surviving the Grey Death?!"

The man wasn't joking, based on his expression.

"May we meet with him now? Both of you, if any requests are made which I can fulfill in my power, please ask."

If the King is afflicted by the same thing that hit the knight...then this is a strange course of fate indeed.

"Bring me to him, if you may. I would like to meet him personally."

For while he would've done it the other way, it didn't hurt his pride to meet up with the people who were concerned directly to the King.

"And could you tell me more of that Knight on the way?"

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:07 am »

"He is a Blacksmith-Knight, and has a white pet Worg, hard to miss. His eyes, as Mary told me, are grey, caused by the Grey Death. And an Assassin who follows Liodnya tried to kill him, and she is the prime suspect. Mary told me about the Assassin. I believe he is staying with this Mary. That's all I know."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:24:01 am by Kestrel_6 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2012, 12:41:25 am »

"Then let's pay him a visit, shall we?"

On the way, Renart hears about Ril's troubles and gives what little he can to aiding the man.

"Lead the way, my friend Karas."

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:55 am »

Heads to Mary's place to ask where Talinth went.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2012, 07:40:11 am »

Edgard turned around and went back inside, disinterested in in the discussion between the nobles. The most important thing was accomplished, the kingdom was now united again.

As he sat at a table and picked up another batch of letters to be read, he went through all the reports he got. troop movements, demobilization, Grey Death investigation....

Wait a minute, that is interesting...
Letters from Talinth indicatd that the case went deeper than just Arendalis. An elaborate plot within the kingdom... Edgard was happy about the blockade of Arendalis nonetheless. The kingdom was isolated and Charles was strangled.His demise was already laid out in the mind of the Regent.
One last piece remained to be solved. Edgard did not forget about come Osir, and he feared what would happen, now that the man is gone north.
He immediately wrote a letter, to be carried directly to Osisr's castle, and from there, to wherever the man has gone too. Edgard did not know if he would manage ot get the message though before the winter, but it remained to be seen...

Spoiler: Letter to come Osir (click to show/hide)

A letter is sent to Osport, to be delivered to Osir, wherever he is.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2012, 11:47:16 am »

As Richard returned inside, silently cursing Harald's greed, he heard  someone collapse in a room nearby. As he went to investigate, he saw nearly instantly the blood all around him and the would-be chancellor of the realm having a seizure on the floor.

As calmly as he could, he called for a doctor.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 14, 2012, 12:03:23 pm »

((Ignore if Ril is too seizure-riffic to talk or do anything.))

Ril was trying to push himself to his feet, resting on the carpeted floor, palms clenching and unclenching, lean body struck by seizures, bile mixed with blood dripping from his mouth, body convulsing, his blade laying beside him, his other hand still unflinchingly grasping the hilt of his hand-axe.

Not like this.

Ril spotted Prince Richard, "Your...Ma-..." his words were interrupted by a cough of bile and blood, "-rshal...ness."

Then he lapsed into silence as much as he could.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 101