Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131405 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Autumn 937 AAL
« Reply #1035 on: September 22, 2012, 04:18:55 pm »

I do not plan on engaging in anything that could trigger war. I only provoke. By you ordering me to support the Nobles of Dechire in this dire times, i am acting on behalf of the kingdom. I move my men there and ask them to show their loyalities. now Richard is pressed. He is in Altaregia and every Region around him is either loyalist or filled with loyalist troops. He is forced to act. Now either he starts his war, and attacks Dechire, in which case i will retreat.

At that moment we see the ture colours of Dechire. Should they proclaim for RIchard i will hang them one and all. Should they prove loyalist they will raise their levies and we gain more support. Either way i force Dechire to decide.  Then i will retreat to Stormstead. On the other Hand should he decide to attack Stormstead or Arborvent, he is forced to leave a group of soldiers to defend his province. He needs to part his troops. In that case he will fight  on two fronts.

POint is leaving Dechire undefended gives us the chance to severly stretch his resources.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 22, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

"guards, close the doors and let no servant or slave into the wing. this too much of a sensitive discussion toi be held with open doors."

Edgard intended to instruct Harald carefully on this. The squabble slowly turned int osomething bigger...

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 22, 2012, 04:49:58 pm »

Marquis Rakon heads to Stormstead and arranges for a meeting with Duc Egard.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:10 pm »

Edgard intended to see Rakon straight as he came in. He heard news of Duc Stoneson and other tidings, the old man had to be seen immidiately in Edgard's private quarters.

"My dear Marquis. we have to talk. I presume that you have a lot to tell me. My quarters are secure and my guard will keep any prying ears away..."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 22, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

"Very well, Your Grace, let's get this done with forthwith"

Rakon joins Edgards in his quarters.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 22, 2012, 05:57:07 pm »

Edgard was happy to finally let Harald do something useful. As they left the war room, Edgard said quietly to Harald:

"Now, I hope you will be usuccesful. Take haste and gods bless you."

-----------------------------
After a long talk, Edgard and Rakon left Edgard's quarters.

"That is all I needed to know, my faithful Marquis. You've done the crown a favour."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 22, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »

"It is my pleasure to serve, Lord Regent"

Marquis Rakon exits Stormstead through the western bridge, heading towards Oathbreaker's outermost borders.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:13:30 pm by Azthor »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

Osir read the short missive and laughed.

My own clanlords are afraid to speak of it! Hell must be opening in the North, and this haegar in Lionel's hands must be of importance...Now, how am I going to retrieve him?

Lionel had publicly proclaimed support for the prince, which would be problematic even though Osir had not technically itself given support for the regent. He had after all, spent more time than needed in the capitol. Never less, Osir would try.

Spoiler:  To Marquis Lionel (click to show/hide)

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:10 pm »

Despite Stormstead's position as hub of trade and commerce in Windheath, the merchant class was discouraged during the Iron Queen's reign from gaining power or influence; ships at the quay tend to be smaller and unsuitable for war.  That said, there are two ships that could carry a regiment of troops each if they needed to; the Marie-Rose and the Peregrine.

The Marie-Rose is owned by [2] a company of small traders and merchants who own it collectively; they have a small office at the docks.  The Peregrine is owned by [1] a rich old Haegar sea-dog with a suspected past (and present) in piracy.  You could try approaching the owners individually if you wished.

[3, 2] The merchants are not terribly opinionated on the matter; the general consensus is that the Treasurer probably did try and assassinate the king, but that the Prince isn't much better.  Dockyard gossip is notoriously unreliable, but you get the feeling that they are slightly more in favour of the Prince but don't care enough to do much.

Time to get to work thought Anakyrto.

Approach the Haegar, but bring the strongest fighter from my ship's crew with me. I will have only a small knife.

[4+1] You easily talk your way into a meeting, years of training in negotiation actually paying off for once.  The captain even agrees to meet in a semi-neutral location; the Drifting Chemise, a brothel near the docks.  It is a fairly shabby place, but you easily secure a private room for your meeting.  You both bring one man beside yourselves and the captain breaks open a bottle of whiskey between you as you talk.

[1+1] Captain Jorik is not especially interested in ferrying troops or taking part in this war at all - he informs you about a major embargo that went down the night before that has made him edgy.  Regent Edgard apparently raided dozens of warehouses for goods going out, and you get the feeling Jorik has things in his hold he would rather stayed hidden.  [1+1] In fact, his main concern now is getting out of town while the going is good - he'll need serious persuasion to stick around.

[2+1] He is, however, interested in taking a more active role - if he can be assured it will benefit him.  The Royal Navy has not even been assigned the money for reconstruction yet, and Windheath's shores lie undefended.  If he had a little assistance from another captain and perhaps some land forces, he could be persuaded to run raids on the coast.  With money, he could call in favours for some friends to assist.  Serious money, he adds - a ducat or more.

Emanhilde opens the letter and reads...

Jitpau's letter is long and rambling. Two whole pages are filled with an anecdote about butterflies in the southern Altanic sea.
The relevant portions amount to the following:
Quote from: Letter
Summer, 937 AAL. By hand of Jitpau Itavany, Grand Reader Servus Kninh.

To my esteemed colleague, Grand Reader Varahan. Blessings of the Gods upon you. May you find wisdom in all corners.
(etc, etc)

I write to you with a request, as one scholar to another. My findings have caused contention between myself and the local inquisition; the inquisitor quite rightly demands that I verify my research. I have been requested to provide samples of research pertaining to translations of 'blessed' as 'saved', or vice-versa, a phenomenon which he and I both recall being one to which you have devoted much time.
If you could provide chapters three through five of your studies "Pozna Eldanic Hramatyka", specifically any sections referring to the aforementioned translations, I should have sufficient material to convince my fellow scholar of the veracity of my claims. Otherwise, your testimony as to the contended nature of these translations amongst many scholars, and any conclusions you have drawn on this issue, will have to suffice.

Tiakath arrives at Stormstead and returns to her inn to find it crammed full of soldiers.

Firestorm

There is a flurry of activity in place around Stormstead, as hundreds of soldiers and messengers are sent scrambling south to assist the peasants working in the fields.  In a flurry of activity the harvest is reaped, threshed and stored in two weeks across much of the South - the Pact, the Plains, Stormstead's own fields and even from Arborvent.  Detachments of men from provinces allied to Richard attempt to intervene but the Regent displays an unexpected degree of organisation, even against the Prince's superior experience with logistics.  Fully two thirds of the harvest are drawn in to Stormstead to resist a winter siege, with the remainder left to the peasants for winter.

Stormstead can resist a siege until the end of Spring on its current stores, at the cost of 1 ducat in land tax income from the Pact, the Plains, Stormstead and Arborvent.  This tax will not be collected come Spring.

During the pressured harvest, bureaucrats and officials sweep into Stormstead's docks and begin a slew of confiscations and arrests aimed at traders working out of provinces allied with Richard; War's End, Northwatch, Altaregia, Dechire.  An embargo is immediately instituted, blocking off all unapproved trade.  Unless the embargo is lifted, trade routes to hostile provinces will receive no income at the end of Winter.  The seizure and confiscation bears some monetary rewards for the Regent, but angers the merchants in the city.

Scouts observe the four crown levies at the two bridges north of Stormstead both pull back to the city itself.  That night fire strikes the southern bridge at Stormstead, [5 vs 1] and the officers of the Regency army are all busy dealing with the overflowing granaries to respond in time.  The bridge collapses, sealing off access to Stormstead from the south.  The fire is obviously sabotage, [1+1] but no spies are able to find traces of the perpetrators.  A stricter guard is placed at the north bridge into town to prevent further sabotage.

Repairing the bridge will take a full season and one ducat.  It cannot be done while the city is being actively sieged.

A week later, more fires burn through the rich fields of Dechire and the poorer grain lands of Northwatch.  Mounted raiders attack the crops and are beaten back by peasants, but there are conflicting reports as to the identity of the attackers.  Some say they were Haegar pirates, bandits from the southern forests near Arborvent, mercenaries, noble knights and some even claim it was Richard's own men acting to deny the fields to the Regency.  Northwatch mounts a successful defence with its standing army of rangers, who keep the raiders away from the more valuable regions and the villages - the rangers report that the raiders looked Adranic rather than Haegar, but their exchanges were brief.  Dechire receives support from Richard in Altaregia, who co-ordinates a campaign to root out the riders - once again his logistical brilliant is outdone by sheer luck and the speed of horses.  The cavaliers are able to evade detection, this time.

Two ducats of land tax income are razed in the raid from both Dechire and Northwatch - they will not be collected come Spring.

A week after that, another fire starts in the highest tower at de Arborvent castle.  It is put out by the local steward's men and although the tower is obviously blackened the damage is almost entirely cosmetic.  Raven corpses litter the ashes, and feathers are found around the grounds for days afterward, leaving a deep sense of unease within the city.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:14:36 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »

All boats attempting to go upriver are stopped at Altaregia. Prince Richard's orders are clear: no supplies are to reach Stormstead under any circumstances.

[Logistics] All armed forces in Altaregia move out, joining up with Renart's forces and making for Stormstead in the quickest time possible. Once there, a siege camp is to be installed, and the siege of the Capital will begin. Any information of this is to be kept secret for as long as possible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:25 am »

Spoiler: Returning letter (click to show/hide)

Coincide with Richard's plan.

As for Osir, stay true to my word. My Steward, as well as the Haegar chieftain, those who know about his existence, and the common guard will attend.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:31:42 am by Tiruin »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 23, 2012, 12:29:20 am »

Spoiler: Returning letter (click to show/hide)

Coincide with Richard's plan.

Spoiler: Letter to Lionel (click to show/hide)

Head off to the border and wait for the steward and haegar. Bring personal regiment and Aki.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:06:20 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 23, 2012, 05:33:14 am »

After a day back at Stormstead, talk about a Messiah was going around. This person apparently didn't like foreigners at all. Considering his mothers' ancestry, that might be an... Issue to his continued service. So, Karas decided while waiting for Saer Talinth to finish his investigation, he might take in some sights, see the people, and hopefully not get into trouble.

Karas starts his search for the Messiah, to obtain answers to his questions
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1048 on: September 23, 2012, 06:46:52 am »

[4+1] You easily talk your way into a meeting, years of training in negotiation actually paying off for once.  The captain even agrees to meet in a semi-neutral location; the Drifting Chemise, a brothel near the docks.  It is a fairly shabby place, but you easily secure a private room for your meeting.  You both bring one man beside yourselves and the captain breaks open a bottle of whiskey between you as you talk.

[1+1] Captain Jorik is not especially interested in ferrying troops or taking part in this war at all - he informs you about a major embargo that went down the night before that has made him edgy.  Regent Edgard apparently raided dozens of warehouses for goods going out, and you get the feeling Jorik has things in his hold he would rather stayed hidden.  [1+1] In fact, his main concern now is getting out of town while the going is good - he'll need serious persuasion to stick around.

[2+1] He is, however, interested in taking a more active role - if he can be assured it will benefit him.  The Royal Navy has not even been assigned the money for reconstruction yet, and Windheath's shores lie undefended.  If he had a little assistance from another captain and perhaps some land forces, he could be persuaded to run raids on the coast.  With money, he could call in favours for some friends to assist.  Serious money, he adds - a ducat or more.

"Well, good man, that was exactly what I had intended. I will leave the town for certain, staying is too dangerous, no matter which side. The only work that can be done will be along the coast and rivers. But mayhaps I could persuade you to support the prince. The Prince has a large army, and coupled with our naval support, it could be made to sure victory.

"Right now, Stormstead can hold, but if we blockade this port, and I assure you a fair share of the goods, then it will fall faster. No doubt the prince, being reasonable, and a relative of the king, would reward you for your help in securing the city with fewer deaths than if it were to be done by battle. However, we could also raid the cities and coasts loyal to the "regent", or ferry the Prince's troops to give them a second route besides the bridge."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:52:06 am by kytuzian »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 23, 2012, 07:39:13 am »

After making his report Harald had gone to the outer walls of Stormstead. his green-silvery surcoat was covered in soot. Staring out into the darkness he ignored the frantic activity around him. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath. And hacked up more black soot. it stuck in every orifice it seemed. With the southern Bridge to Stormstead destroyed The Prince had but one way to reach the Capital. Silently the Marquis stared out into the darkness lost in his own thoughts.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 101