Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131636 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #585 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:16 pm »

In Drachengrab...

"Tell me, Your Grace, what is it that holds the most sway over men, peasants and lords, merchants and clergymen? Is it not only fitting that the greatest threat to the Crown would also prove the most profitable for the King should their lands and title be revoked? Albert may yet make a good King, but for now, he is naive, an easily exploitable trait; it is he who even now bends our liege's naivety to fit his whims, gorging himself on that which is not his by right, that you seek"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »

"Simply put, a way to marry Ria without any political backlash nor any loss of prestige for marrying a lowborn, pardon the term."

The King seems a bit shocked-but there's something else read in him as well, hope.

"Well, I'm all ears, Duc...Gods know I've looked for a way not to give the Kingdoms enemies a handhold to declare my heirs illegitimate-such a thing starts wars, and no one-not even Ria...is worth that risk."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 14, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

In Drachengrab...
"Thus we have our target. I trust you'll find evidence of said lord's treachery Marquis, as well as informing the king on your progress on finding the traitor."

In Stormstead...
"'Tis a fairly simple measure as well. I can adopt Ria into my house, and if need be I can alter some records afterwards to have her be a lost member of my family that was recently rediscovered and put back into her proper place as a noblewoman of windheath."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »

"That doesn't exactly fix the problem....many have seen her around the castle. Her low-born status is well known. How can I ask the Nobility to be so willfully blind?

Someone will use it against me-against her. They are waiting for the opportunity Duc...they will tear our country to bloody flinders with the slightest provocation. Already they plot around me, I have heard the rumors. Traitors and Crows-bloody Hounds, barking at the gates again."

The King sighed.

"...I cannot make this decision now. My heart and my mind are at war with one another. Make yourself comfortable if you'd like, Duc. I must think upon this."

With that, Albert exchanged pleasantries and departed...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

As the rays of sunlight that announced a new day filtered through his bedroom's window, Talinth swiftly rose from the bedsheets, moving on to take care of breakfast, already fully awaken and brimming with the energy that came with a young age. Sahainn, which had been resting at his feet, yawned and followed him as the knight walked to the simple kitchen, .

When they meant feeding his worg, it probably included the knight as well, seeing as he hadn't been lacking in supplies aside from meat. Although some of it was a bit different from what he was used to eating, the blacksmith wasn't picky. It was food, and he knew how to cook just in case it was needed.

After the breakfast, he bathed, took care of Sahainn's fur and did some light morning exercising before donning his armor and setting foot into the streets. Now on to find assignments and tasks to complete while his acceptance into the blacksmith's service was being waited for and the King didn't send him in any mission. He had been only a couple of days in Stormstead but he had already managed to memorize its layout, or most of it, he supposed.

From what he picked up during his walk around the town from random conversations, there were probably two drake hunts starting this season - apparently, cold drakes had been disrupting business and there was an urgency in killing off some of their numbers to protect the population. There was the prospect of both danger and a measure of gains, but he was still bound to the King, and the knight wouldn't get tangled into a campaign far way from the man he had just swore his services to.

He also heard about preparations for a marriage feast, but it was an event for nobles and it was supposed to be more or less a showcase for women to be picked like fruit by the powerful men of Windheath. The different culture sounded strange and in some occasions offensive, but he had been taught about how problems about culture was one of the reasons his people had been attacked by the Haegar.

Visit the master blacksmith's wokshop or search for simple smithing jobs if the former is not applicable (easy as in not needing constant rolling for results).
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 14, 2012, 04:47:51 pm »

Have Darnell, and Tellard prepare to go into the Haegar fort, sharpen knives, dampen sound of clinking or stomping with rags, etc.
Sharpen my knives, and use the pitch jar to make two fire arrows for a just in case scenario. Also dampen my sound as well
Give the pitch jar to Ardella, and the Woman to prepare fires when it become nightfall.
Wait till night fall then examine the fortress from the forest once more.

[3] You fail to find rags, and it turns out the knives are already sharp. [?] You dip the arrows in jar, but since you have so little you do not test it to see if it works. [2] Ardella does not really understand your instructions - do you want a campfire, or another kind of fire? Anyways, she doesn't have enough jar for either. [5] You manage to get a clear look at the fortress - the guards' torches illuminate it, but they blind them and allow you to remain unseen. [3] It looks like there's at least a regiment in there, [5] but they don't seem to have special training or equipment. [3] The door is closed nearly all the time.

Ice Drake Hunt! Bring the priest.

[5] You leave for the hunt [insert date here, early in summer if you don't care about the wedding feast thing, later if you want to join], with the minor clan lords and the priest. The clan lords, determined to impress you, all bring their household guards with them. [1] The Haegar summer welcomes you on the way: it snows at night and rain during daytime, making for the worst possible weather for these kinds of things. [1] You spend a long time without finding any traces of cold drakes; it seems they've left the usual territory. [4] You do learn from one of the clan lords that there are stories of cold drakes sighted to the south of their usual ranges, in Northwatch's lands.

[3] Once in the holdings of the marquis, you start finding signs of drake presence, but no specific sign that would indicate where their lair is. [4] The clan lords speculate that at least three are in a relatively small valley, based on the footprints leading that way and the unrest amongst the hounds. [4] The priest gives you a mute blessing (the Silence of Victory, followed by Dead Men do not Talk) to encourage you on the hunt, which cheers the lords up.

You can seek the assistance of the Marquis (and collect some glory if you save him from this trouble), continue to look for a lair or venture into the valley. What is your choice?

Start a Witch Hunt. Let My Military Support the Priest in any way he needs.

[4] The priests, helped by the peasants and your soldiers, go wild for a few days in their search for witches, sorcerers or heretics. They have a remarkable efficiency, and they find [1 x 3] three potential heathens.

They are [3] an old woman living isolated and 'acting queer', [4] a man who dresses in black and speaks with a strange, 'devilish like accent' and has a 'skin that is as yellow as the eyes of a demon' - besides, he's very impolite - and [6] one of the village elders, who is very well versed in medicine but has been known to refuse to visit temples for years, since the death of the last of his grandchildren.

Now, the laws are clear. If potential witches are found, they must be judged and, if need be, dealt with. The part of the law which is unclear is who exactly judges - the liege lord, the church or both. Letting the priests judge the heathens may please them, but they are known to sometimes be... Overzealous.

Learn about the villages, hold a mini open court to them and find out what available reasources they can gather

[/] The villagers do not know you, but they know you are not their liege. They refuse to hold an open court with you - you don't even have a court! - but they do send reports to the nearest lord, who happens to be the Marquis of War's End.

Be ready for a fight.

[2] The bandit frowns.

"Are you dull, boy? I asked for your belongings, not to start a conversation with you. Now give me your purse and I'll let you go - killing simpletons is dishonorable."

Action: Organize a Marriage Feast for the Kingdom-invite ladies of High Station, most especially Elise and Eliza. Invite all other Nobles to attend, who are looking for wives.

Spoiler: Nobility, read this (click to show/hide)

All the lords of the Kingdom are invited to the feast. Not all come, but a good many do. [4] There are about half a hundred potential brides that are brought in, ranging from baronness's daughter to duc's sister. [5] Another half hundred come from other kingdoms, trying to get opportunities in the rich land that is Windheath. [6] The highest ranking guest is no other than Charles IX, King of Arendalis and of the Adrans, descendant of Adran IV, Rightful Heir to His Kingdom, Champion of the One True Faith, Just and Honorable Ruler of Northern Aldania, Guardian of the Arendal and Member of the Council of Three. Along with him will arrive William III of the North, King of Normark. Neither have arrived just yet, but there is much speculating about who they will bring with them. A daughter could only be the king's potential bride; but if they brought sisters, an ambitious and particularly audacious noble might manage to get the hand of one of them... If he's lucky.

It is up to the king to do the opening speech.

[Any lord can come. If you do come, specify what you're looking for (Rank, beauty, skills, hair color, juggling talent... Whatever you want) and I'll roll if you find someone who fits these specifications, or is near enough.]

Visit the master blacksmith's wokshop or search for simple smithing jobs if the former is not applicable (easy as in not needing constant rolling for results).

[What are you trying to do?]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:54:18 pm by Shootandrun »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 14, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »

"As you wish Mi'lord. I shan't be staying in the palace itself, due to an event you'll holding in here. T'would be unlikely that I'll appear during it..."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 14, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »

Now, the laws are clear. If potential witches are found, they must be judged and, if need be, dealt with. The part of the law which is unclear is who exactly judges - the liege lord, the church or both. Letting the priests judge the heathens may please them, but they are known to sometimes be... Overzealous.
"Lord Stonewood... the plague, as you may know, has spread beyond your lands. It may threaten the entire kingdom. With respect, this is no matter for the... inexperienced. A grand court of the Faith should be held in Stormstead, where experienced priests may determine the guilt of these people, who their assosciates are, and what foul sorcery they have employed. The fate of the kingdom may be at stake."
Long Live United Forenia!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 14, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »

Try and track down a more skilled spymaster for personal training.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:23 pm »

"These aren't our lands, men. It would be utterly rude to just come in and take a few drakes without saying anything. Besides, I'm sure the lords of the land wouldn't mind some...help."

The lords groaned and snickered and laughed, depending on how cold they were at the time. While they settled in, Osir sent off a message to Northwatch. He didn't really have time for a formal letter with the cold of winter and no fire to sit by.

Spoiler: To Renart Lionel (click to show/hide)
Send a message off to Marquis Lionel, alerting him that I have entered Northwatch and that I plan to hunt some drakes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:38:03 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:29 pm »

Quote from: Bandit Guy
Be ready for a fight.

[2] The bandit frowns.

"Are you dull, boy? I asked for your belongings, not to start a conversation with you. Now give me your purse and I'll let you go - killing simpletons is dishonorable."

"Tell me this, then. merchants are... rich, right? Well, I am off to... Kill this merchant. However, all of his stuff isnt taken. So, instead of my dagger, crossbow sword that will get you arrested, why not... a ship? certainly a prospect. All if you let me go."

Targets will turn hostile awfully soon. Outnumbered, enemy has ranged weaponry. Courses open to me are fleeing, smooth-talking or fighting. Second option, owing to Bandit's love for 'shiny'

Use Ban Yi Soong's ship as bargaining tool. Tell them it is a Merchant ship, and remind them what it has.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:05:20 am by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »

Galhard rolled his eyes, he'd forgotten how stubborn peasents could be, perhaps he should ask the king for some official documents or something to prove that he owned the land now.

Attempt to explain to the peasents that I own these villages now and ask the king for some documented proof
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 15, 2012, 01:51:46 am »

Spoiler: To Renart Lionel (click to show/hide)

Renart read the words thrice to ensure that he didn't miss anything important. It seemed that the very man he planned to talk about (that peasantry war and such) was interested in participating in the hunt that plagued his lands.

For glory and honor, too.

Honorable Comte,

I am very pleased to see you in my lands, my fellow Adran. The hunt would begin shortly -- about two or so weeks from now, perhaps after the King's Summer Feast, or before it. I have sent word to the surrounding areas and to his Majesty for any help in the matter, and also for the spoils to be shared.

The opportunity presents itself, I and my men will be gladdened to see your banner amongst ours in the coming hunt. Until then, make yourself at home in my lands.

--Renart Lionel, Marquis of Northwatch

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 15, 2012, 02:36:41 am »

Honorable Comte,

I am very pleased to see you in my lands, my fellow Adran. The hunt would begin shortly -- about two or so weeks from now, perhaps after the King's Summer Feast, or before it. I have sent word to the surrounding areas and to his Majesty for any help in the matter, and also for the spoils to be shared.

The opportunity presents itself, I and my men will be gladdened to see your banner amongst ours in the coming hunt. Until then, make yourself at home in my lands.

--Renart Lionel, Marquis of Northwatch

Osir read over the letter, fumbling over the words. Adran? Had Osir been quite a bit less wise about this, he would have hastily wrote back about the insult. Instead, he shrugged and told himself it was for the better. Still, two weeks was a long time. A very long time. His clan lords would soon get bored and begin to leave. And it was cold too. Not a good hunt at all. He shrugged, and wrote back.

Marquis Lionel,

It's a shame; we cannot wait so long. The longer those ice drakes live, the more of your peasants die and them more my lords get bored. We're going to clear the drakes ourselves.

Regards,

Comte Revechig.

Sending the letter off by horse, Osir gathered his men together.

"The Lord of Northwatch wants to hunt in two weeks time, so that he can attend the "king's" feast. Of course, we can't be waiting that long. We'd lose track of the drakes and we'd all go bored waiting out here. Besides, not like we need some southerners to help kill a few drakes, eh?"

Of course, being Haegar, the lords agreed, although some did complain about the cold. Again.

"Well come on, the drakes aren't gonna be killing themselves, ya know."

Enter the valley and hunt the drakes.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:12 am »

Marquis Lionel,

It's a shame; we cannot wait so long. The longer those ice drakes live, the more of your peasants die and them more my lords get bored. We're going to clear the drakes ourselves.

Regards,

Comte Revechig.

"Steward. Can you tell me anything wrong with this letter and it's relation to our current predicament? And to the other letter, here?"

Spoiler: Other letter, there (click to show/hide)
((I'm using the sky blue color while Dwarmin uses the Light blue color.  :P))

"...That Lord Rivechig is referring to himself and to his troops in the latter, and he knows about our situation in the former?"
"Correct, my good man. These are my lands, yes?"
"True."
"And our dear Comte is but a guest, yes?"
"Aye, milord."

Renart strode over to the messenger and returned his quarry with a friendly smile, waiting for him to ride off into the distance before turning back to his trusted men.

"Dispatch spies to track the messenger. I want to know what Osir is up to and why he is barging into my lands with this idea." It surely can't be a different set of drakes. These are the only ones I know about! Betrayal can't be this early...but it's not good to beat the horse while alive...

"Hold it. I'll take my full Cavalry Regiment to check this out, personally."

Trace the messenger back to his people along with my PG Cavalry Regiment.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101