Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131333 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:04 am »

((Left us? Nay, we were happily admiring the embroidery on the carpet while waiting. The dust makes a fine cover.  :P))

Renart stood up and bowed from the neck, "And the vassalage will happen soon enough, then." He turned to Theor as he approached the door, seeing the injured prince begin to nurse his side in the background, "What do you think about the state of affairs Lord Theor?"

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2012, 09:26:32 am »

( And Az? What the fuck? I'm insulted D: )

Theor stood up and bowed too, expectations of courtesy, which he intended to follow. "I hope the wound will heal soon enough, Prince."
He followed Renart, who asked a... delicate question. What should he answer? He decided to say the truth "I think it's reckless that crown vassals swear vassalages to other crown vassals." He couldn't supress the sharp undertone "It shifts the fragile equilibrium of power, which would always lead to...  turmoil"

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:11 am »

Finally, Stormstead, Galhard winced as Moonstrider rode onwards, he had spent much of his life on horseback, but the ride from Altaregia to Stormstead was still a rather long one, especialy as he had no money to pay for a boat. Still, 32 years and this place had changed so much, he gazed around at the houses, noting how some were little more than muddy slums, while others were beutiful constructs made of stone. As he neared Stormstead keep he began to notice the looks people were giving him, the Thunderhounds weren't the most well known house but surely the more noble people would know of them, instead they looked at him as if he were some hedgeknight, and he knew that look as he had spent much of his time as a hedgeknight in the other realms, still. He shook his head to clear if of such thoughts and begn to think of how the family would react to his return, they probably wouldn't welcome him in open arms, but he hoped that they would at least accept him back. He was glad that the north had won as this would make getting back into nobility that much easier. Finaly he got to Stormstead keep, he stopped near the guards and, making a big deal of displaying his shield with the family insignia, a snarling golden hound with jagged fur, before saying, "Galhard Thunderhound humbly requests an audience with the king, is he available?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:48:35 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 29, 2012, 04:34:01 am »

Trent left the castle in a hurry, only leaving behind a letter for the Renart, it was a simple envelope sealed with a wax seal bearing a small fairly detailed wolf on it.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)

With that done he headed for the home of the King's Treasurer, Edgard, the time spent traveling to the man's home was spent in silence with Trent constantly scanning about for anything, potential recruits or even enemies. Trent had spent his entire life doing just this, men of the Ranger Guard gave up everything to protect their nation even their vow proved this. "May our blood flow in rivers before the blood of innocents runs, we are the stone by which the lands are safe, we are the hunters of the night, and we are the first to stand true. Like wolves we guard, and like wolves we die." He spent the rest of the time thinking about what the exact amount he would need to get the new fortress built and thriving as the home of the Ranger Guard.

Arriving at Edgard's home Trent looks at it in slight disgust, he preferred buildings built minimalistic in style, and meant for use in war times not for luxury of those who owned it. "Thus is the likes of nobles." he mumbled as he got off the horse and handed it to one of two attendants standing outside a small stables, one of them looks at him questioningly and Trent explains the situation to him upon finishing his explanation the man took him to a small room and told him to wait there till his Master arrived.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 29, 2012, 05:30:35 am »

He followed Renart, who asked a... delicate question. What should he answer? He decided to say the truth "I think it's reckless that crown vassals swear vassalages to other crown vassals." He couldn't supress the sharp undertone "It shifts the fragile equilibrium of power, which would always lead to...  turmoil"

Renart stopped and turned to address the matter on vassalage as he descended down the winding stairwell. This also gave him a reasonable excuse to rest his aching legs.

"Reckless, perhaps. But you must see this from where I stand for it to make sense.

"Though, I digress. I've been studying the history of our land, and our people, and discovered that while our realm has highly improved in the last years, we are lacking compared to our neighbors.

"We are all Adranics, bound by blood and by our land. While I have enjoyed most of the Iron Queen's reign, I have to say that it wasn't a good one. A dark time for everybody, actually.

"And here is why I state my oath of service. Albert and his brother; they are capable of bringing our nation back from the gutter, perhaps into a greater age than what their ancestors accomplished. I've seen it in their eyes - passion, both for the control of their power, and what may occur because of it.

"Now, I've no doubt that Richard would have any ideas to usurp the throne. I may be an aging man, but I am confident that his intentions are for the betterment of the realm.

"After all, our King trusts him enough to give him the position of a High Commander over the royal army. And know that I trust you, Theor, as much as I trust him."

At the thought of the army, Renart's thoughts drifted to the guards posted in Northwatch, of how much they sacrificed to ensure the castle was in a suitable condition. They would be proud to hear of his commendation, he mused.

"Now, as a fellow general, what are your plans, my friend?"

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2012, 07:57:55 am »

In no time Edgard found himself at his second home, the estate across the river from Stormstead. It was a splendidyl decorated place, with a spacious courtyard and big, glass windows. It had little to no defensive elements, and Edgard valued the luxury and the presentation, especially in the vicinity of the capital. Last 30 years were secure enough to encourage people to live more openly.

Servants notified him of a guest, and the man was ushered in just as Edgard was sitting down and pouring himself a cup of wine.

"Speak, my man. What is your business with me?"

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:14 am »

Theor was not really convinced by Renarts word. Maybe the age was affecting him? He didn't know.
"Hey may want the betterment for the realm, but what if he thinks it's better for the kingdom when he rules?" He cleared his throat.
"And how do we lacking to our neighbors anyway? We are the richest kingdom here in the north and soon we will accomplish something that only Adran himself managed... Uniting the Arendal." He was confident that the conquering of the kingdoms in the west would happen soon.
"I'm just not sure if it's a wise move to swear fealty to any other man than the king. He could see it as insult... And you bow under the whims of the Prince, just to support him? You can do that as free man, as vassal of the crown himself."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 29, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »

"The King has sent me to meet with you regarding a small transfer of funds to my hands to be used in further fortifying the lands around Northwatch, and recruiting men into the Ranger's Guard. I've come simply to request that these funds, a total of eight ducats, be handed over to you, and if you feel something is to big with this number then I can break down the exact amounts and costs of the project if you desire. Of course I have a feeling a man such as yourself will think this is to much, but it is indeed how much I need, three to found a fortress on the border, three to bolster the ranks of the Ranger Guard with new highly skilled men, and two to begin founding a basic infrastructure in and around said fortress." With that Trent sat back slightly and waited for the man's reply, he had no doubt that Edgard would try to bring the amount given to him down as a low as possible, but he had to try to get this much atleast.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »

Edgard nearly choked as he was drinking when he heard the sum mentioned.

"EIGHT? Eight ducats? Are you mad? And for what? Are you seriously hoping that I hand over a third of royal treasury to you? What are you planning to do with it, if I may ask? Haegar border is quiet, the last several years the most silent we've ever had. All I know of you is that you do nothing but prance around the forest and expect me to shower you with gold."

Edgard looked sternly at Trent.

"Either you explain yoursel clearly and start making more sense, or I will send you away with a purse of wolves, instead of ducats."

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:28 pm »

After two years of slowly meandering, Karas found himself in Stormstead. plenty of obstacles to run and jump across, and plenty of people to blend in with. He looked again at the dagger he'd 'picked up' from that bandit leader... shame they never look up... that would come in handy for the work he hopes the King would send him to do. With cloak concealing the left side of his body and scabbards, hood up, he set off to the first gates of the castle. No running, climbing or jumping. Just walking.

When he arrived at the gate, there was a guard.

"I seek an audience with the King"

whilst awaiting a response, look at the Heraldry of the armour of the Guard, and Admire the scenery
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:23:10 am by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:14 am »

Trent glared at the man from under his hood, and spoke "I do not desire all these funds immediately of course, I simply need them over a time, for this season I need only three ducats to rebuild the Den of Wolves, the fortress we once lost long ago. The border may be quiet, but the Haegar will not keep it so forever, soon enough they will attack us again and greater force then ever having prospered from raiding far weaker nations then us. The second we show a weakness the raids will begin again, people will die, our nation will be weakened by rodents feeding on it, I seek to construct this fortress to deter the Haegar a little longer and rebuild the glory that the Ranger's Guard once had, I wish for the Ranger's Guard to once again be the great Guardians of the North we once were. And with restoring us further the efforts of our nation to unite all of Arendal, I know many nobles seek to do this, and with our borders more secured we can focus on that with less fear of the Haegar. It is time the nobles of this land see that the Haegar will never accept peace with us, there may be moments of what you think to be peace but it is simply the calm before the storm, if you leave your foes to their own devices they will only return just as strong. I do not desire all this money now, over time is best, three ducats for this season will suffice." He gripped the cloth bundle tightly as he finished, this man infuriated him, a noble who had never seen battle insulted his men, and the legacy of the Guardians of the North, but he contained his anger as he waited for a reply.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:02 am »

"I'm just not sure if it's a wise move to swear fealty to any other man than the king. He could see it as insult... And you bow under the whims of the Prince, just to support him? You can do that as free man, as vassal of the crown himself."

Renart sighed, the two were nearing the bottom now. "I am a servant of the royal family, a follower of the wielder of the Dragonspine Sceptre." He gave Theor a look that reeked of seriousness, "I have lived to see the start and end of wars, including all it's hardships and troubles.

"Believe me when I say that I know what I am doing. A vassal also has the privilege of breaking their vassalage if, and only if, dire circumstances present themselves between both parties.

"I will never betray Albert."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:23 am »

"You seem to presume an awful lot, my dear man. How would you know if Haegar are coming? And what do you know of kings and dukes and what do they plan with Arendal? Do you believe me to be a pampered idiot who cannot see more than the end of his arm?
I'm King's treasurer for a reason, and you will not make demands on me."

Edgard sat back.

"In our present international position and regarding North, I see it fit to grant you 3 ducats. And no more than that. If you have a problem with this, go back to our monarch and ask him if I'm being unreasonable in not wanting to hand you over several chests of gold to fight an imaginary border war."

Grant Trent 3 ducats out of royal treasury. No more money will be given.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:09 am »

"I made no demands of you, simply requests, and need I remind you that it was you who insulted me first, what is worse is the fact that you insulted the Ranger's Guard. We've sacrificed everything to protect the people of this realm, and you nobles, however conceited some of you may we still follow our duty of protecting this realm. Need I remind you that it was us who have thrown back the Haegar dozens of times when they've attempted to attack our lands, it didn't matter what price we paid we still stood our ground. I know more of the acts of nobles then you think, I myself was one if only a lesser noble, I know how you most likely despise those nobles of the north being a defeated south noble. I know this because it was we the Ranger's Guard who threw back your army. Do not think yourself so mighty you can openly insult a man who openly stated it was a request for funds, I never demanded anything from you, but insult the Ranger's Guard again and you may find yourself without a tongue to wag about as you do." Trent said as he turned and left Edgard's House, he made his way into the city and the events of the day had been enough, nobles were to much to deal with when they believed themselves above others.

He found himself at a small inn, the Iron Hound he left his horse to a young kid and went inside to find a few patrons scattered about, most with their faces in their mugs, but as he scanned about he noticed the nobleman with the bandaged face sitting at the bar. ordering a flagon of ale he made his way into the corner of the room and sat back. He mainly focused on the table and the drink the barmaid brought not long after, but from time to time he glanced up at the man as he drank the ale. "Wonder where the Woman Knight is, unless they have no connection in which case it might be easier to recruit her to the Guard." Trent thought before sitting back and waiting, perhaps she would show up and if not he could ask the man about her later.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:07 am »

Edgard was as much astounded as he was amused. "Blithering idiot, he really knows nothing of politics." He said to himself.

But he was feeling generous. He would not ask for the man's head, merely send the town guard on a chase after him. Edgard was curious how much mess would the man get himself into before he could explain himself to the king. A bit of entertainment with the self-righteous treehugger would be fun.

King's Treasurer sends a request to the Stormstead city guard that Ranger Trent is to be detained. Reason: attempted theft from the treasury.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 101