Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will this run DF decently  (Read 4695 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Will this run DF decently
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »

DF is a 32 bit app, regardless of what your OS happens to be. This limits the amount of memory it is able to address, so the game is limited to at most either 2 or 4 GB of RAM (can't remember off hand which is the "per allocation" limit right now, still sleepy).
2GB by default, but there's a third-party workaround to enable the game to use up to 4GB. The only time the game uses more than a tiny fraction of this is during worldgen, however, and even then you have to be using one of the really big mods like Masterwork or Dwarf Chocolate before you'll start getting crashes because you're running out of RAM.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 03:38:54 am »

My old computer ran it just fine. It was seven years old, took about ten minutes to boot up and when I looked it up, I found out the processor was about three times worse than the i5 I have now (which has been tested to run a 90+ dorf fort perfectly).

My computer from seven years ago has a single core and runs at 2.7Ghz while my any of the four cores on my laptop have a maximum clock speed of 2.5Ghz. Needless to say, they both run DF at the same speed.

This thread is falling for the megahertz myth pretty hard, here.
Actually, clock speed plays a huge role in how well a CPU can handle DF.  This is due to the insane amount of individual calculations that need to be done each tick, especially if temperature is on and changing (e.g., during winter freeze, spring thaw, or when magma is flowing around).

Yes, but even when you compare a 2.5gbz processor from 2005 to a 2.5 processor from 2012, the 2012 one will be faster because of pipeline improvements, etc. One clock tick != one instruction.

Actually, you're completely wrong. They've just been gluing cores together for the last 10 years.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or genuinely believe that, but that is definitely not the case.

I don't. In my experience, glue doesn't tend to go well with electronic components.
[Signature]

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:06 am »

My old computer ran it just fine. It was seven years old, took about ten minutes to boot up and when I looked it up, I found out the processor was about three times worse than the i5 I have now (which has been tested to run a 90+ dorf fort perfectly).

My computer from seven years ago has a single core and runs at 2.7Ghz while my any of the four cores on my laptop have a maximum clock speed of 2.5Ghz. Needless to say, they both run DF at the same speed.

This thread is falling for the megahertz myth pretty hard, here.
Actually, clock speed plays a huge role in how well a CPU can handle DF.  This is due to the insane amount of individual calculations that need to be done each tick, especially if temperature is on and changing (e.g., during winter freeze, spring thaw, or when magma is flowing around).

Yes, but even when you compare a 2.5gbz processor from 2005 to a 2.5 processor from 2012, the 2012 one will be faster because of pipeline improvements, etc. One clock tick != one instruction.

Actually, you're completely wrong. They've just been gluing cores together for the last 10 years.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or genuinely believe that, but that is definitely not the case.

I don't. In my experience, glue doesn't tend to go well with electronic components.
Huh. That explains why i have alot of rouble with my appliances.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:16 am »

I want to know how a 1600 x 900 display counts as "HD+".

I guess what they want to say you can watch the little HD (1280x720, rather than full HD) plus you have a nice black box around it. Or you can watch it scaled up.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)
Pages: 1 2 [3]