Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Open source Dwarf Fortress  (Read 16722 times)

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OS Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:52:21 am »

I don't actually see anything that complex - admittedly there's a couple of areas, but that's the idea of an open source effort in any case - it wouldn't be isolated to one person, so in terms of 'man hours', it might take some time, but spread that among many people, or a few very competent people, its not so bad.

I point and laugh in your general direction. Somehow you seem to think there is nothing complex in DF (that you could possibly think that while simultaneously thinking that you have the ability to clone DF is almost mind-boggling, except that this is human nature), and you seem to think that it will be easy to clone everything you intend to clone while removing all the flavor and making it more generic, and that by making your clone open-source you will magically get an army of genius-level monkeys to do the coding for you, because open source = free coders, obviously. Not going to say anything about your choice of language.

P.S. You completely miss the point of DF, too. Calling adventure mode "a leach (sic) and sideline," and "unnecessary?" Oy. Saying unnecessary to you doesn't make it better since you're saying that since you don't like it there's no reason for anyone else to have it either. :V

P.P.S. This thread is going to get locked and we're all going to get banned for arguing about it, aren't we?

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the mind-bogglingly complex areas?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OS Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 09:54:38 am »

You sound like a pleasant, well-rounded character.

Apparently you have trouble with criticism. SL's post was drizzled with unnecessary vitriol, but instead of addressing the valid points in there you just insulted him. I recommend you adopt a more open stance to peoples' legitimate (not trolling) feelings on your possibly grand project before outright dismissing them.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the mind-bogglingly complex areas?

Yes. Like that, right as I was about to post. Much better.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Open source Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:35 am »

You owe me 40 seconds I wasted glancing through this thread and another 30 I spent writing this post. I hope you're happy.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:19 am »

You owe me 40 seconds I wasted glancing through this thread and another 30 I spent writing this post. I hope you're happy.

Guess I forced you into that ;) 10 internet points refunded.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

I think your idea is fine, but your marketing pitch kinda sucked. Instead of "let's take the things I like from DF" try something like... "I'd like to make a castle builder game in the same vein as DF, but open source and more extensible. Think FreeCiv!" and go from there.

You'll also want to draw up a detailed design document with bullet points on the major design decisions and an overall outlined goal. If you are looking for a team, you'll get much better responses this way. As-is, you're basically saying "Hey, who wants to make a car with me?" when you need something more like "I'm designing a new car and need people skilled in mechanical engineering, electronics, vulcanizing tires while I wait, and dyeing upholstery."
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:46 am »

I guess it wasn't so much a marketing pitch, more like 'who would be interested?'.

It strikes me I picked a terrible forum, given the responses, and I apologize if that offended anyone. Pretty unpleasant series of responses, but I guess fair enough given the forum. My mistake. It won't happen again.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 10:14:41 am »

That's what I meant, though. You are trying to sell people on your idea if you want them to be interested, so presentation counts for a great deal.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:19 am »

That's what I meant, though. You are trying to sell people on your idea if you want them to be interested, so presentation counts for a great deal.

Well, yes and no. I was hoping to speak to people that had a similar vein of thought, not to convert or persuade. The former would see people in a good discussion, the latter is not what I want.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:22 am »

I guess to me the confusing thing about this thread is what you hope to achieve.

Dwarf Fortress is already free.
Dwarf Fortress is closed source not because it's a business idea but because it's Toady's hobby. He loves making video games, he loves making games the way that he likes, and he doesn't want anyone interfering with his pet project.

So... seriously. Why would you even bother remaking DF from the ground up?
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

Would anyone be interested in an open source Dwarf Fortress?

If it looked good I'd play it.  :)  Don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you build it, people will play it.  There are a couple non-open-source DF inspired games out there, so I see no reason an open-source DF inspired game wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:24:26 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 10:24:34 am »

If it looked good I'd play it.  :)  Don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you build it, people will play it.

Yeah! I'd still try it out/bugtest. These things, after all, have a way of taking on a life of their own.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:21 am »

If it looked good I'd play it.  :)  Don't listen to the nay-sayers, if you build it, people will play it.  There are a couple non-open-source DF inspired games out there, so I see no reason an open-source DF inspired game wouldn't work.

Nor do I. My motivation is a more in-depth game that I can also enjoy (tough if you a part of making it, hence the exploration/randomizing/, and modding aspect).

To the negative responses, well fair enough. On the one side the last thing I'd want is to take away from Toadies income stream as it were, as if I could. Absolutely wouldn't want to.

I still think there's a lot of people out there that would love it, and hence my original post. As it stands, I think def the wrong forum to ask it in ;) given the responses. As an academic exercise, I'm still keen to do it.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:38 am »

Oi, I disliked that you made this thread. Not because I don't think its a good idea, but it brings out the bad side of Bay12... something I like to pretend doesn't exist.

If you get any reasonable progress into doing this, count me interested, but I agree that you could probably pick a better forum. Best of luck to you, anyway.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 11:25:38 am »

Yes, people would be interested in playing that.  You should make a design document.  Get the features working from Dwarf Fortress released in August 2006, I'm sure you'd get a couple people to help then.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:34:13 am »

Probably because Toady spends time focusing on things many people might not care about. Not a slam on Toady. He has created a great, fun game, but he sometimes focuses on things that he loves but don't add to (or even detract from) the experience of some. Hence the desire to create a game that focuses on the things an open source community would like. At least that is what sprung to my mind when opening this thread. The more games for me to play, the merrier.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5