Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36989 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2012, 07:07:36 am »

WoWP is absolute arcade, and the controls are terriblawful. This is from looking at youtube videos, OF COURSE.

I've been trying to get into War Thunder, which I believe still uses a simplified version of the original IL-2's physics engine.

The thing is, Cliffs of Dover has servers with 80+ people on, and is more realistic. What can War Thunder really give us more? Even MORE people? Unlocks? People who like hardcore simulation don't really care much for unlocks.

What I feel War Thunder might be is a good entry point into the IL-2 series. I am hoping that's what happens, and that it revitalises the genre. Something like:

WoWP -> War Thunder -> IL2 :)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2012, 07:10:53 am »

Absolute arcade would be if they flew like x-wings. There is physics there. And it's surprisingly detailed. But it is simplified compared to, say, civilian flight sims or the Core IL2 series. I'd argue that War Thunder is at LEAST as arcade as WoWPs. *cough*regenerating bombs*cough*

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:24 am »

Well, there's stalls, but that's about all I saw. I mean, you can just yank back on the stick for all you're worth and the plane won't stall a wing. Try doing that in IL-2 in any plane, even a Zero, and you'll go into a spin. Then planes are all tiered up like in WoT, but somehow still relatively competitive... I dunno, it makes very little sense. I will concede de following: some of the air tactics used in real life are also good tactics in-game due to its mechanics. But that's really all I can say.

I am hoping War Thunder isn't going to be like that. Again, just using IL-2's flight modelling, even if slightly simplified, is enough. Anyways... here's to hoping!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2012, 12:18:48 pm »

Rise of Flight added the Felixstowe flying boat and an English channel map on Christmas Eve:

Spoiler: Wide picture (click to show/hide)

It's amazing. I love the Felixstowe.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »

When I get a computer actually capable of running ROF I might invest in a couple of airplanes :) I really the ponderous two-engined biplanes :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08:23 pm »

With the top wing turret position, a full load of bombs, and full fuel, the Felixstowe can't even crack 40mph on the water, so it doesn't really take off. I could maybe do it on really flat water, straight upwind, with a loooong run...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08:50 pm »

Posting to register interest in anything FSX, Teamspeak, Mumble... Or anything I can get my hands on.

Also going to throw Orbiter and OMP out there.
Anyone fancy building a Bay12 space program?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »

If there's sufficient interest, I could see about a Bay12 Rise of Flight/other-flight-sims-with-Linux-support dedicated server. I have one running on my webserver that's sufficient for me and a few friends. If there's $60 of interest before the New Year, I can kick in the other $60 to get a much nicer dedicated server for a year (a special with my provider), which should be able to run biggish RoF missions and probably huge Il-2 1946 missions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

Posting to register interest in anything FSX, Teamspeak, Mumble... Or anything I can get my hands on.

Also going to throw Orbiter and OMP out there.

If you still enjoy FSX, check out FSEconomy and Vatsim. I'm somewhat deep into FSE and I've dabbled with Vatsim. Both are very good communities that will welcome newcomers with open arms as long as they're willing to learn.

Vatsim is a virtual air traffic control system run by real people and can be somewhat strict(they try to follow real world rules as close as possible) but if you ask for help and mention you're new, they're pretty considerate about the whole thing and are willing to take you under their wing. (no pun intended) Can also (very sparsely, except in certain areas and during certain events) populate your world with player flown aircraft. Although can be slightly weird. If you don't have the correct model it'll usually fill it in with a plain old Cessna... which can be slightly odd if someone decides to fly by in an SR-71 and you don't have that particular plane installed. (Note: A lot of my experiences with Vatsim are from days long past. That particular bug might have been resolved, but I do know for a fact most people on there are still good people willing to help out new players with advice if they're willing to ask for it and learn.)

FSE is just... a virtual economy, tries to set up "jobs" for people to do and planes to rent/buy to do those jobs with. Also the possibility of buying lots at airports and set up gates to create your own jobs (and also take in modest ground crew fees if anyone else were to take jobs at your airport) It's somewhat slow in building up though, expect to fly other people's planes for a while unless you want to put yourself into the debt of another player. It's... interesting... and has gotten me to do a lot more flying, in very different places than I ever would have otherwise. Also has had me in a few planes I'd otherwise overlook. Also keeps me out of a few planes I'd prefer to be flying though, as well. They've just started to implement airliners as "all-in" jobs where you're simply hired as a pilot for a computer owned jet, fly the job, get paid, all expenses taken care of. But that also means that most airliners are not in the system yet. Only the 727 and 737, I believe are in there. A few exceptions to this exist, but for the most part, it's meant to be more of a charter/bush service economy rather than airliner. But they're slowly expanding the system.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2012, 11:21:39 pm »

Do we really need a dedicated server? Seems a bit much.

Just got into RoF earlier this month, having trouble finding people to play with though.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »

I skimmed the thread. Any mention of FlightGear or MS Flight?
Or how about Orbiter?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:32 am »

Eww, flight.

Anyway, got X-plane 10 yesterday. Anything cool like those things sluissa mentioned above?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »

I skimmed the thread. *snip*
how about Orbiter?
*snip*Orbiter and OMP*snip*
Skim better. :P

Anyway, got X-plane 10 yesterday. Anything cool like those things sluissa mentioned above?
Sluissa was talking about Microsoft Flight Simulator X... X-Plane is ridiculously expensive in comparison. Even if it is still maintained.
So, while there could be stuff around like that, I'm not sure there's going to be quite so many people playing it.

I've also remembered that FSX has been silently exiting for me, which means I might have to give that a miss. Even though I love the heck out of that game.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »

I'm quite sure Gamespy have pulled the plug on FSX multiplayer. Can anyone confirm this for me?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »

I'm quite sure Gamespy have pulled the plug on FSX multiplayer. Can anyone confirm this for me?
That's what I heard, but I thought Gamespy just ran the matchmaking systems.
You probably wouldn't want to use that anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24