Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 36985 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:35 pm »

Not exactly combat, but I'm starting to get into modding X-plane. I'm going to start with this plane, the X-02.

I have the canards done! :O

EDIT 1: I've got those monstrosities of wings done, but I'm having difficulty adjusting the sweep of the wings correctly; it only allows me to go -90 degrees when I have to have it sweep far farther. (The wings act as a kind of "switchblade" mechanism; when the X-02 goes fast enough, the forward-swept parts of the wings fold in to the backward swept part).

EDIT 2: Ugh. I've found a workaround, but it look pretty stupid. The wings have to sweep back to 38 degrees and retract into the other wings.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:20:03 pm by Putnam »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2012, 07:59:03 am »

Looks like my squad's getting back together for another bout of Pacific Theatre. I'll draw your attention to this topic.

They are CST/EST while I am GMT, which makes it tough, but it's an absolutely hilarious group of people that get pretty competitive score-wise  (always in good fun), and they're looking to hire :) I'll be flying with them when I can, usually weekends/Fridays or so, as my sleeping schedule allows :)

Also, Cliffs of Dover's last patch has been pushed onto Steam. That's about all we're getting out of it. Lots of people report improvement, but some of the community keep complaining, as I feel they would no matter what. The game is definitely not perfect, but I have heard wonders compared to when it was released. My computer doesn't run it (relatively old laptop), so I can't really tell. It's definitely a lot more realistic than it's prequel. You'll have a hard time flying without a throttle quadrant, is what I'm saying :)

The plan is for them to develop the sequel, which will contain the content of the first game, and which will further develop the engine and so forth. That's what they did with the previous games in the series. The original IL-2 was out in 2001, and they kept adding, and adding, and adding, and finally we got IL-2 1946 which includes all the content ever.

Also, I hear RoF added its first seaplane, which is awesome. One day I'll get a computer that can run modern flight sims :) I keep dreaming about that day, but it doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon :)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2012, 09:37:31 am »

RoF has added the floatplane, but not the Channel map. Fortunately, the floatplane is a peppy wee thing, so dashing in and out of the various rivers and lakes in the north of France is plenty exciting. That said, I would gobble up an Inside Passage scenery pack if it looked like RoF does, even if I had to use WWI-era seaplanes to explore it.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »

The 13th could probably win bowling championships with the Avengers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZv-675if0

:D

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2012, 05:08:34 am »

Also, the latest and final Cliffs of Dover patch actually makes it run on my computer, between 20 and 30 fps even with other planes on screen. I am a happy camper! Now I need to get used to the godawful interface and learn how to drop bombs from a Blenheim, and I'll be good to go. Gave it a whirl last night and the radial engines on the Blennie are definitely a lot nicer now. It doesn't overheat nearly as much as it did at launch, which actually makes it possible to, you know, taxi to the runway.

Haven't managed to drop bombs yet, but I will... in time :)

Also, I just got accepted into World of Warplanes. I might give it a try tonight. Anyone else in there?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2012, 07:00:13 pm »

Oh, there's a new patch? Does the ammo belt editor thingy actually work now?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2012, 07:05:36 pm »

I think mostly everything mostly works now. Since this is the first patch that runs on my old card, I never did get to try out the game too much and don't know what changed. I'm guessing that it works. I've also seen 80 people on the ATAG server, which is crazy!

Also, it turns out World of Warplanes is the game by the makers of World of Tanks, and I got it confused with War Thunger: World of Planes. WoWP is ultra arcadey!

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »

Yeah, I am in the beta. I am disappointed at how arcade-y it is. And it had so much potential....
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:20 pm »

The good news is that War Thunder, from Gaijin (the makers of the somewhat realistic Wings of Prey), is now in beta. I'm not entirely sure it's going to be worth it.

For me, there are two important things in flight sims. First, is the online community. It needs to be relatively serious, mature (I'm guessing the average age of IL2 pilots is closer to 40 than 30) and organised. There is always going to be a bit of lone wolfing, but squadrons are where the game really shines. Formation flights make a much more interesting experience. Whenever the 13th is out "en masse", formation flying and going for objectives, we get appreciative comments.

Second is the number of players. IL-2 '46 is starting to become less and less populated, but get this. I've seen the ATAG Cliffs of Dover server with over 80 people on at the same time. That's 40vs40, or roughly 3 full squadrons of 12 planes each for each side. It's huge. And it's happening right now! Plus, this is from people migrating from the IL-2 '46 community.

So Cliffs of Dover has the mature community and the numbers. I'm not sure what War Thunder will bring more... except graphics, which I don't really care that much for.

All CoD needs is a Pacific expansion now :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »

Good grief, that game looks GORGEOUS....

Also, how did you make the camera move that way? It looks pretty natural, and like the plane is being filmed from another plane.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

Yeah, Rise of Flight delivers the eye candy, and can even do so on a non-top-end system if you're okay with 30fps instead of 60. A few patches ago they added the camera jitter as an option, so I didn't have to do any of it (although I fight it with the mouse in some places). It makes for great-looking external views, but the jitter speeds up under time compression, so it's kind of a bother during singleplayer missions.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »

I still need to get a beefier computer for RoF to run smoothly :)

Anyway, there's a big sale going on. For $15 or 18€ you can get two of the following list:
- DCS Black Shark 2
- DCS A-10C Warthog
- Take On Helicopters
- IL-2: Cliffs of Dover
- Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition
- Hinds Add-on for Take on Helicopters

Get them here.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2012, 06:24:21 am »

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is on sale at GoG.com for $4! :)

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:50 am »

For reasons I can't disclose(I believe I still can't disclose them, anyway. Haven't checked recently.), I have certain opinions on both War Thunder and WoWP.

First. War Thunder. It has interesting gameplay, but the servers seem to be only in Europe. It's minor issue for a US player, but it's constant, and always there. Realism is on its side, but the tech tree is clunky and the grind is kind of harsh.

WoWPs is slightly better on the server front, except that there happens to be some serious routing problems about 3/4 of the time between my place and theirs. They've been no help on that front. It's still playable, but only barely, and only with much frustration. It is somewhat arcadey, but not horribly so and I actually find that I'm able to focus more on tactics and spatial awareness rather than constantly making sure my mixture is perfect. There are many more options in how you can customize your planes and once past the 3rd or 4th tier, you can really specialize in a lot of ways, perhaps making you a much better bomber or interceptor.

They both still need a lot of polish, and network issues keep them both from being really enjoyable for me at all. But if I were to pick one, I'd still pick WoWPs. War Thunder is still a good game, but WoWPs just scratches my itch a bit better. I do hope they take notes from each other though. I feel both could stand to take a few cues from the other.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24