Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Children  (Read 3240 times)

Soviet_Canuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Children
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »

I've been having this problem for awhile now (although I don't know if people consider this a problem) there are always a ton of children in my forts, at my current fort I have a total population of 70 dwarfs, of which 30 are children. Now I have the child cap at 10-1000 to try and get rid of this to no avail. Any solutions would be helpful. Yes, I have already tried Goblins and Magma, it just means more migrant children 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Children
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »

Well anyone who was already pregnant will have kids regardless, and many a time migrant kids may have been worldgenned past adulthood but will arrive as kids until thier birthday. I personally keep them safe. Military service solves the problem on its own.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Magma and goblins...

Tried water and zombies?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »

Or stick every kid into a room with merchant pack critters and wait for one to flip shit.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »

Or stick every kid into a room with merchant pack critters and wait for one to flip shit.

I am laughing so hard picturing this.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:35 pm »

You need to edit the D_init.txt to fix this.  I usually set children to 10-30 total & 10%.

Code: [Select]
You can set the maximum population of your fortress here. Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.
[POPULATION_CAP:200]

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress. The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children. The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here). The lower number is used as the cap. The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap. Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:42:15 am »

Come on, my children are great... they're gonna put my farmers out of business if they're not careful
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:50 am »

Seems to be a post like this about once a week.  If you set your children cap to 0:0 you will still get a few kids, but with the 3rd and 4th migrant you should stop getting them altogether. No need to worry about them, with a good food system it will be a cakewalk to feed them, and they don't kill framerate as bad as 1000's of unneeded items.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

I guess I'm out at the edge of the curve with my baby_cap setting of 1000:1000. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:46:39 pm »

I use dwarf therapist to use the children as hauling slaves. Someone needs to carry all that coal after all.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:28:25 pm »

Nobody else captures their children and pits them in arenas as warmups for the monsters?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »

Whatever happened to the Dwarven Spartan Program?  IIRC, it was that you pit the kids with chickens, cats and/or dogs so they grow up being attacked in a 1x1 pit and have to fight for there lives for twelve years.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:37:20 pm »

Nobody else captures their children and pits them in arenas as warmups for the monsters?

I place them in a burrow outside the main gate to detect ambushers. My war dogs are valuable, kids aren't.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:39:11 pm »

Project Spartaning them is too labor intensive.... I'd have to train up a blacksmith, import tons of high value metals, need to quantum stockpile everything.... And I'd need to airlock a courtyard so they can socialize with eachother to avoid loniness insanity and to prevent infections....

Megabeasthorder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:43:30 am »

How do i go about "dumping" children into my pit with a dragon in it? Dragons are people too ya know
Pages: [1] 2