Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 505428 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #5040 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:25 am »

Thus did the end days truly signal their approach...

How the fuck can we possibly explain the clusterfuck of 2016 and 2017 (so far) to future generations?

'Well, damn near everyone awesome died, brits went a bit silly and we laughed at them, then we elected an orange buffoon as president... uh, he endedup getting north korea--oh, that's the big cratery looking spot on the map there--to try and nuke seoul but the task of launching a missile+detonating a nuke was too much for them, with the only successful detonations at altitude not far past the old no-mans land region at the border. With that out of the way we decided that since we had been so successful cleaning up the big plastic continent out in the pacific using genetically modified yeast, why not see if we can use it to clean up fallout, the resulting radioactive sporulation event was massive enough to fuck up weather patterns and put a serious strain on crop production in the northern hemisphere until it cleared up, beautiful sunsets though.'

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: April 25, 2017, 08:43:17 am »

Microbial colonists of "mini-mothra" present efficient mechanism for rapid decomposition of plastics.

Or, how microbiologists and etymologists discovered a solution for the pacific gyre (and doom anything made of plastic)
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39694553
Though did you also notice, on the main Science And Environment page, the article "Can plastic roads help save the planet?" ;)

(It's a link to a video page, so until I'm settled on a better link I hadn't yet tried to watch it.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: April 25, 2017, 09:46:36 am »

Or, how microbiologists and etymologists discovered a solution for the pacific gyre (and doom anything made of plastic)

Who knew all you needed was to know the origin of a name to make the thing disappear! :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:47 am »

Who knew all you needed was to know the origin of a name to make the thing disappear! :p
Fear names. Names have power in identity. Others can use names as weapons. Names are a hook that can be used to track you across the planes. Remain nameless, and you shall be safe.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »

you can blame my phone for that one. It does not know what an entomologist is, and happily corrected it for me.

Because people who study the root origin of words get invoked far more often on the internet than people who study insects, apparently.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: April 25, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

You should really read Darwin's 'On the Origin of Words'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: April 25, 2017, 03:47:51 pm »

I much prefer the etymologists' cookbook.

That's some fine cooking in there. A little dry at times, and a bit wordy, but mighty fine. ;) (You should try the salad!)

(Yes, this time I used it purposefully, and ironically.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:51:45 pm by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:40:00 pm by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:32 am »

Etymologists are best served while still alive, so you can savor the warmth of their wordy ichor while it is still fresh.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:48 am »

130,000- old mastodon bones that looks like they were fractured by humans using stone tools found in California

Like, that is so cool. It would mean a first wave of human colonization before H. sapiens.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: April 27, 2017, 03:52:09 am »

Origins of Indonesian hobbits finally revealed. Apparently they're a pretty distant offshoot of humanity, being sister species of Homo habilis.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:18 am »

130,000- old mastodon bones that looks like they were fractured by humans using stone tools found in California

Like, that is so cool. It would mean a first wave of human colonization before H. sapiens.
Damn good science there: this is going to be a claim which involves constant uphill struggling to get past the giggle factor, so what do they do?

Make sure the in situ placement is documented and unlikely to be chance.
Investigate that the possible artifacts exhibit certain traits which stone tools used by homo possess and can be used as sound identification criteria.
Make sure that the bones also illustrate the related stone tool impact/scraping/cutting/etc traits.
Obtain rocks which are similar to the ones found at the site, make tools, and use them to crack open bones.
Confirm that the bones flaked and fractured the same way the ones at the site did.
Confirm that the markings and scrapes on the experimental tools match the hypothesis that the ones at the site are also tools.
Slap every bit of date bracketing information and tests you can throw at it in there.
Try to break your previous findings, and if you can't do so, publish them!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: April 27, 2017, 03:16:56 pm »

Damn good science there: this is going to be a claim which involves constant uphill struggling to get past the giggle factor, so what do they do?

Make sure the in situ placement is documented and unlikely to be chance.
Investigate that the possible artifacts exhibit certain traits which stone tools used by homo possess and can be used as sound identification criteria.
Make sure that the bones also illustrate the related stone tool impact/scraping/cutting/etc traits.
Obtain rocks which are similar to the ones found at the site, make tools, and use them to crack open bones.
Confirm that the bones flaked and fractured the same way the ones at the site did.
Confirm that the markings and scrapes on the experimental tools match the hypothesis that the ones at the site are also tools.
Slap every bit of date bracketing information and tests you can throw at it in there.
Try to break your previous findings, and if you can't do so, publish them!

Bigfoot did it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: April 27, 2017, 03:20:35 pm »

Origins of Indonesian hobbits finally revealed. Apparently they're a pretty distant offshoot of humanity, being sister species of Homo habilis.
pretty sure we knew that already seeing as i learned it in class last year.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339