Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Quick help solution  (Read 14170 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help solution
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 07:34:56 pm »

Pumps to move the water out of your way so you can reach the ocean floor via an enclosed stairway.  It will take nine (9) blocks per z-level minimum to avoid flooding (8 walls and 1 up/down stairway) if you have to build all of it yourself.  So 9x<levels to the floor> blocks minimum then you have to dig in and hope you don't have an aquifer to deal with as well (though I must admit it would probably be easier to deal with than an ocean).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:44 am »

Thanks, I will try that.

On the second question does anybody know how to deal with that? Can marksdwarves shoot it down? Also, how do you convince marksdwarves to pick up ammo? Does a quiver required? I both have an archery range, and training enabled on the squed screen, but my dwarves don't pick up the ammo from the stock pile. When I say kill something they always try to hammer it with the crossbow, but since they enemy is on top of an unreachable wall, they just say: No soldier activity (cannot reach valid target).
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:17 am »

The new version don't have the order dwarves stay inside anymore.

You do this now by creating a burrow that only includes an area inside the fortress, and setting up a new alert through the military screen that tells all civilians to report to that burrow and stay there.  Unlike other burrows, this one they'll stay in, when the civilian alert is active.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 11:04:09 am »

Thanks, but where do I set the civilian alert? (a key combination would be appropriate).

However I would like to see a solution of the bigger problem, or at least a better soggestion, because my dwarves roam like a madman between the stockpiles and the trade depot, because of that frikking upper right chitin arm.

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

Activate civilian alert by going to the alerts screen under military and then go to Active/Uniformed and selecting the burrow of your choice on the rightmost panel.

How about deconstructing the trade depot and moving it out of dwarven sight ranges?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »

Activate civilian alert by going to the alerts screen under military and then go to Active/Uniformed and selecting the burrow of your choice on the rightmost panel.

How about deconstructing the trade depot and moving it out of dwarven sight ranges?

The problem is to deconstruct the depot, I need dwarves to deconstruct it, however they are afraid to go near it, they even refuse to grab stuff, and even if they do grap stuff, they almost immediately drop it in 2 meters.

Here is a taste of the "action".

http://www.2shared.com/video/YI_pCU0M/Dwarf_Fortress_2012-07-10_19-2.html

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 07:51:18 pm »

Have you found the necromancer responsible, or is this a self-raising evil biome?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

Have you found the necromancer responsible, or is this a self-raising evil biome?

Lol, just solved, evil biome by the way (did you see the video?). I have tried everyting in DF hack, from killing it with magma, trying to change the material required to quivers, making a burrow at the trade depot, force equipping the arrows to the marksdwarf, finally I realized, that you can also place obsidian floors.

So I connected the ramp on the left with ten obsidian floors, and sent in the military for the kill. Then channeled out the the floors. I gained no surplus resources, so I don't consider this cheating.

-----

If anyone is interested I am planning to include the file to make a succesion game. Those who want to play post their names so we can make a list.

Remember, this is Terrorhounds: the plague of plagues.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »

So nobody wants to get into a succesion game with this fort? (pic related: my achievements on marksdwarf training)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 09:56:54 am »

Need some urgent help with farming and irrigation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have all the upland seeds, irrigated the floors, they are all muddied, and yet it says no seeds available for this location.

Please help!

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 10:54:48 am »

I don't use that tileset so I can't tell exactly what's happening there but if you have mud then you should be able to build a farm plot.  Make a seed stockpile next to the plot (no barrels allowed is highly reccommended). You'll probably want seperate stockpiles next to your underground seeds and your "normal" seeds.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:24 pm »

Need some urgent help with farming and irrigation:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have all the upland seeds, irrigated the floors, they are all muddied, and yet it says no seeds available for this location.

Please help!

There's a good chance you're on your own here, since I doubt anyone has ever tried to grow crops in the middle of the ocean before :p

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »

Ohh is it an ocean?? Only certain biomes allow the above ground crops. Ocean is likely not one of them.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2012, 01:19:33 pm »

Ohh is it an ocean?? Only certain biomes allow the above ground crops. Ocean is likely not one of them.

But one duded said he could grow stuff on microcline floors. By the way it is pretty ridiculous to not being able to grow stuff above oceans, since even in the stone age people were able to do that, for example on ancient artificial islands in the pacific.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

But one duded said he could grow stuff on microcline floors. By the way it is pretty ridiculous to not being able to grow stuff above oceans, since even in the stone age people were able to do that, for example on ancient artificial islands in the pacific.

Something working in one place doesn't make it work in another. Salinity for example... Also stone age artificial islands?!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6