Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Quick help solution  (Read 14199 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Quick help solution
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

I have 7 dwarves and started to build a land fortress. However suddenly 10 giant albatross corpses showed up from the Tragic Waters. I ignored them, but they eventually wandered to my dwarves and started a massacre.

I loaded my fort back, since I had too much work on it, and wanted to start it as succession game. My 7 dwarves are currently unarmed, have 2 leather shields, 1 large copper axe, and 5 copper bars, 5 wood logs, 2 arrows and 600 stone blocks. They have no military skill. What is the best method to get rid of the giant albatross zombies? (going underground is not an option)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:04:08 am by towerdude »
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Quick help solution
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:00 pm »

Build a roof over the area you want safe and have roofed over trap corridors with cage traps and the albatrosses should be caught if they try to wander in. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:52:38 pm »

!!Magma!!

Solves all your zombie related problems.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »

Thanks the help but here is the fortress:

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

Why is going underground not an option? No picks? I'd have dropped under the ground first.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:50:13 am »

Because I wanted a challange, like building a fort over the sea, with only embark stones, and surviving of only above ground crops and trees, wich grow on constructed floors. Making decent rooms for nobles is also harder.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:49 am »

Because I wanted a challange, like building a fort over the sea, with only embark stones, and surviving of only above ground crops and trees, wich grow on constructed floors. Making decent rooms for nobles is also harder.

Looks like you've found your challenge then ;)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:21 am »

Hmmm... Alright, then build your self a tower and hole up in it until you've got enough trees to make bolts to shoot the birdies down.

On the other hand, six hundred stones don't make for a very big fort.

That said, might it be more challenging to anchor the fort to the sea floor? Then you could abandon land all together?

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:15:21 am »

No glass or clay?

Another recommendation, if you have the time: build artificial cave in traps on your land bridge triggered by levers in-fort. Restrain kittens under them. When bloodfucking albatrosses of doom maim said kitten, trigger trap.

Rinse, repeat.

If you don't want to do that, wall and roof yourself in, make wooden bolts. You'll need a LOT, but it will eventually work. Giant zombie birds still can't get through fortifications.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:33 am »

So actually you could kill Giant Albatross corpses with arrows?

Also I have a bridge to seal out the land, because there are two Giant Mantis Corpses there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:21:46 am by towerdude »

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:33 am »

Well let's put it this way: you might be shooting them for a few years.

Wooden bolts don't do much damage, you likely have very poor marksdwarves, and zombies can tank literally hundreds of arrows.

I'd go with a cavein trap.

xxx
xSx
xxx   Z-level one

www Z-level two

x -open space/pressure plate
S -support
w - constructed wall

Basically lure the Zeds under these and collapse them, either manually by a lever linked to the support, or automatically with pressure plates.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

I'd use floors instead of walls for the upper level. They'll do as much damage, but it'll be easier to build, since you can build a temporary stair up on one side and the dwarves can walk over the floors to build the others. By doing walls you need to build more stairs for access.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:26:59 am »

One small problem you will have, zombies aside, is that trees will not grow in constructed floor, only soil or muddy natural stone floors... so you'll either have to sneak onto land to harvest trees or rely on trade for logs. As for actually killing the zombie birds.. you'll probably have better luck putting with a dorf in the military with the axe. A roofed over path so they can't fly away should improve your odds as long as they don't all fly in at once. The downside though is that if you are over the zombie creating biome and someone dies....... fun will be had. Reclaiming from a zombie collapse is rather.. unpleasant and tends to elad to more zombies hehe.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »

You sure it's only naturally muddy? And that it hasn't changed since the last version.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:45 pm »

Well the problem got naturally solved. It may include witty humour, not-so-witty humour or bad humour.

The dwarves finished the shelter-tower just in time, and had some of the food within. The 10 Giant Albatross Zombies waited at the door for two months, then got bored and flew off the map.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6