Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28962 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »

Eh, I had a very long and possibly quite whiny post, but I'm going to condense it into this :

1. I don't like Biskup's attitude, from reading some of his comments from before and during the start of the crowdfunding campaing.

2. I respect his intentions to do with his IP as he pleases.

3. I really hope this project does not succeed because I completely disagree with his own evaluation of the alternative cost of his time and the general pricing method he is using.

4. It might be good if this succeeds because we might get better games with more sensible pricing and desired end result.

This is in the ADOM indiegogo project's description :

- New stable releases for all supported platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Amiga, NetBSD, FreeBSD; Android and iPad/iOS are going to be stretch goals). Operating systems have evolved since 2002 and compatibility is becoming a serious issue.
    - Bug fixes for every bug we can find
    - Game balance patches
    - More elaborate interaction for many things that are currently only handled superficially
    - UI improvements to bring ADOM up-to-date with the progress the roguelike genre has made, to be decided upon based on recommendations of players in the forums (e.g. colored message, some kind of auto-exploration and others)
    - A series of magical statues distributed across the dungeons
    - A roster of new named random boss monsters with special powers
    - Exciting new graphics for the title screen and some quest-related events
    - Audio for sound effects and music for the game areas and important events
    - A freshly revised manual

In comparison this is taken straight from Toady's july update:

June:      $3599.86
May:       $4814.94
April:     $4623.70
March:     $6777.02
February: $12586.51

Total : $32 400

And you are welcome to go through the change log to see the major changes we've gone though since 0.34.1

If I'm going to pay someone to go back and fix up his old work, it's got to be the IVAN guys.

Toady only really has to pay for himself out of those donations and even then he's not exactly living a lavish life. Dr Biskup is paying 4 people to work on this full time for a while, and also working on another project at the same time.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »

Oh that reminds me; It's July 2nd, so y'all can start a new ADOM game for that extra bonus.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »

Was your tip-off him mentioning that it was an amazing Creator's Day? =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:32 pm »

Meh, ADOM was my first and most favourite roguelike, so I will be only happy if this succeeds and goes the right way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dondy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:42 am »

7k now in the past 1 n half days. Thank you for your support.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:20 am »

Toady only really has to pay for himself out of those donations and even then he's not exactly living a lavish life. Dr Biskup is paying 4 people to work on this full time for a while, and also working on another project at the same time.

My point exactly. Toady is getting less money for his full time work on an actively developed and improving product. Tome4's donations for the last 3 months are about 1700 euro. The Chaosforge guy - the creator of DoomRL - I believe posted in one of the reddit threads that the sum of his donations for the past month was $2.

In comparison Biskup wants $50 000 for a product that has been abandoned for what, 10 years?

Again, it's his right to do whatever he wants. I just don't for the life of me see how people can agree with what he is actually doing.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:28 am »

It's not the point that it has been abandoned for 10 years. It's the point that there're so many ADOM fans which want it to be continued, so why not to try?
It's a bit daring but definitely not a scam :).

I mean come on, I've been playing ADOM in my wedding night when my wife fell asleep :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:17 am »

I think I might throw $25 at it.
I too love ADOM, it was my first true roguelike. (I don't count Caves of Qud or Castle of the Winds true roguelikes =P)
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:59 am »

I pledge $0.  And I pledge to influence people against contributing.

Frankly, his behavior left a foul taste in my mouth ten years ago, and this new stunt is just bringing it back.

(Source code in hardcopy format?  NDA?  Wot Da Fuq?)

He gets none of my money.  Not under these conditions.

I'd pay $100 to have the source code opened up.  None of this 'maybe even' stuff.  Just flat out Biskup hands the source to the world and keeps his nose out of the project.  That's all I want from him.

(He 'will personally will deliver the books to wherever you live'.  For $50,000.  We can finesse that, you know.  We just need to get in contact with Rosaviakosmos so that one of their guys on the International Space Station can act as our agent.  Failing that, I know a guy who's at a research station in Antarctica.)

ADOM's dead.  Ten years dead.  Don't necro.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 04:17:03 am »

I've never gotten into ADOM beyond a few hours of playing it, and I liked the dungeons a lot but I didn't like having to do the plot over and over (because I suck and can't get far)

That said, the whole drama (on reddit's r/roguelikes) about this thing have really pushed me over the edge and I'm trying hard not to actively wish this fails. It's his game, and he can try whatever he wants but he's also kind of a douchebag who overvalues his product when there are amazing roguelikes that are being developed for FREE and he wants more than what would be a comfortable year's salary to do a BUGFIX that would have been done for free by any number of fans in the past.

Oh, and there will be a new flash screen.

As far as the open source aspect to things goes: I don't really care if he open sources it or not. I think the game would be better today if he had, but he didn't, and that was his choice.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:22:00 am by boatie »

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 04:18:45 am »

double post
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:20:29 am by boatie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 05:43:14 am »

Ii would have actually understood if that found raising campaign was for the ADOM2 project, but there i'm rather surprised.

For a game that has been abandonned 10 years ago, in less than 2 days, so many people have been willing to throw their money at it that already 1/5 of the founding goal is reached for what is apparently a promised bugfix/content patch.

Hopefully if ADOM found raising shows that there are people that can contribute with that much money to a RL development, other RL devs should then think about following this example if they're having financial problems on their side while they're releasing generously their games for free

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 08:52:19 am »

Almost donated there (whew)...
I thought that it would be a new (from ground up) game with the spirit of ADOM. I personally believe that there is nothing that can be done for a project that was dead for 10 years (trying to code in that old and forgotten source would be waste of man-hours). Don't get me wrong i really loved ADOM and countless hours playing (dying) it, but all in all you could better spend your money donating to Toady or any other more perspective game/project. Also somehow adding a new item/monster/stuff named after persons into an old game seems like a cheap move (from my guess of work involved in that operation i.e. adding another entry to a list). Also you need to give 25$ to get access to "game" earlier as far as i understood. That seems a bit to high of the price.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 08:21:29 pm »

I thought that it would be a new (from ground up) game with the spirit of ADOM.
Just want to point out that there is an ADOM II.  Biskup stopped ADOM development so he could work on its successor, JADE.  A few months ago, JADE was renamed ADOM II.

We have a forum thread on it here.

The glacially slow progress on JADE is part of my unwillingness to throw money in Mr. Biskup's direction.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 10:21:23 pm »

The glacially slow progress on JADE is part of my unwillingness to throw money in Mr. Biskup's direction.

Somewhat pedantic, but isn't JADE largely complete, with what's remaining being content for ADOM II?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9