Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28969 times)

dondy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »

http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development?c=comments

check it out!

And no, I`m not a spambot

Rougelike pioneering in traditional ASCII. It's worth supporting.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:16:26 pm by dondy »

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »

so...many...spelling errors... (well, only two, but they're glaring ones)

dondy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

Oh I'm sorry, I sucked at spelling especially in English. I didnt have enough opportunities to practice the language very much this days.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »

Nothing like Escaped Lunatics coming in to promote stuff.

Isn't this the same thing as JADE?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:36:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »

What, 48 grand for a roguelike?

You better elaborate...

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

Well it's ADOM, which is supposed to have been (possibly a while ago? Never been interested in this, honestly) a big story on the scene and in all honesty a pretty cool roguelike. However since there aren't enough (or possibly any) updates it starts getting more and more outdated. Then the creator starts going insane, refusing to release the source code because someone might mod the game and make it not horribly outdated, starting regular drama about how he MIGHT possibly release it, and now we get this.

Also the $50 000 award has me in tears :

As above and receive the hard bound source code of ADOM for your personal perusal (that's probably something like 10 big tomes of source code). I personally will deliver the books to wherever you live and spend a weekend talking about ADOM, ADOM II, etc. with you if desired. Please understand that you will be required to sign an NDA with this collectors item to not distribute the content.

Dude if I pay 50 000 dollars I better drat be able to nail it to a zeppelin and go on a world tour with the bloody thing, and you want me to sign an NDA?

While Crawl and Tome4 remain free, I don't see myself ever paying for an infinitely inferior (in my opinion, at least) product. But hey, guy wants to do with his IP whatever he wants - more power to him.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:23 pm »

Meh...I might be inclined to chip in $10-20 bucks. I've certainly gotten more than that value out of ADOM over the years.

@nenjin: No, this looks like "If I get $48K, I'll go back and work on the original ADOM some more." In addition to working on ADOM II.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:01:16 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:17:38 pm »

Agreed. There's not NEARLY enough info that this guy can provide something superior to what JADE has become. Sorry, it just smells too much of scam. At best, its riddled with unrealistic spectations.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »

I'm  not sure how it's a scam, he's pretty upfront with what he plans to deliver. It's no small task digging into 8 year old source code and then adding to content, modernizing the platforms, etcetera. There's also the addition of 3 more staff members (co-developer, music composer, and artist for a few select screens and icons and such). This will definitely get funded regardless of whether you think it's a scam of course. It's already at 4400 after about half a day.

Also @Graven: He intends the $50k as a joke. Hence why it's $50k. There is a stretch goal to make the game actually open source, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:26:39 pm by Tilla »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »

Heh, just reckon the OP got excited is all, from Biskup's own summation:

After a a lot of discussion and preparation today is the day to throw the dice of Fate and see where they fall: Just seconds ago I activated the crowd funding campaign for resurrecting ADOM development on Indiegogo. Now please: if you ever loved ADOM and/or still love it - go there and pledge to get some of the cool rewards and help ADOM to step into the 21st century. Or at least spread the word! Now is the time!

The campaign will run for a total of 60 days as many fans already indicated that they right now aren't able to pledge as much as they'd like to and since times are pretty tough in many places I hope that the 60 day limit can help.

I also hope that the "Kickstarter vs. Indiegogo" discussion really is moot. My impression during the last days and weeks was that having access to a great community always seemed to be most important, far more than the actual crowd funding platform - and as far as I am concerned the ADOM community is the greatest of them all!

So if you care(d) for ADOM, please

-pledge as soon as possible. It seems to be highly important for crowd funding campaigns to get a great initial momentum and this also helps in getting featured on the front page of Indiegogo! You can upgrade your pledges later so there is no (?) reason to wait ;-)
    -spread the word about the campaign and the link to the campaign. Talk to friends and family, blog, tweet, etc. Share this on Facebook, post on newsgroups and mailing lists and raise as much ruckus as possible to mobilize everyone who ever cared for ADOM and enjoyed playing it. (But don't annoy people ;-) )

I really really really hope that we make the campaign goal (and if we make it that we make it as soon as possible) as the true fun will begin with the planned stretch goals (new races, new classes, new corruptions, new items, new monsters, new artifacts, new quests [dare I say words like Scroll of Omnipotence or Red Rooster Inn]?), the ADOM pen & paper RPG, iPad and Android ports, an extendable and scriptable version of ADOM, more elaborate character generation options and maybe even open sourcing ADOM. And so much more I don't want to talk about right away... So let's have a go at it!

This is a legit project folks, as Tilla pretty well outlines above.  It will be a more ideal, modern ADOM going forward to serve as an excellent compliment and Part 1 of X in the series going forward alongside ADOM II.  There is no denying some drama, even if much of it comes down to less-than-ideal reactions to zealotry, in the tumultuous history of the project, but so few projects can even approach having all that history visible/existing period---key thing here is yet another chance for crowd funding to revive a quality Roguelike and serve as yet another example that all sorts of things have a shot with a solid plan and a bit of luck.  Personally, I would love to see more of the elder Roguelikes come back to life in the wake of this should their own devs still be with us.

We need more of this sort of thing to happen in the Roguelike and wider RPG world in general, a ray of optimism.   8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:38:08 pm by getter77 »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »

Legit project where the makings of which have been discussed for a while on the ADoM pages.

JADE [the engine] and ADOM II are the descendants of ADOM. This project is pretty much the capstone for ADOM, to clean up all existing bugs, finalize a bit of the unfinished content, add some minor stuff and shove it out the door.

The funding amount, as I recall (and I may be mistaken), was pretty much determined by "I expect this project to take X hours. I could be making Y per hour working. There will by Z in processing expenses. As such, I will set an amount equal to X*Y+Z."

And, as he states numerous times in his blog, the 50k for the source was some kind of community in-joke. (Though there is a legitimate open sourcing stretch goal somewhere, supposedly.)

As a point of reference to the significance of ADoM, RogueBasin lists it as one of the five most influential 'major roguelikes' [distinguished from 'classic roguelikes'], alongside Angband, Crawl, Nethack and ToME. The latter four all support a good deal of community development (and are open source, I believe) while ADoM has, in stark contrast, always been kept near and dear.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

Also, in general, $48K is a pretty reasonable amount given you've got 2 coders, an arts/visual UI guy, and a talented sound guy(given his sample track for ADOM II a few months back)---and sound is DEFINITELY not a cut and dry thing to try and fashion even compared to art assets where you can at least lean on deductive logic.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »

Eh, I had a very long and possibly quite whiny post, but I'm going to condense it into this :

1. I don't like Biskup's attitude, from reading some of his comments from before and during the start of the crowdfunding campaing.

2. I respect his intentions to do with his IP as he pleases.

3. I really hope this project does not succeed because I completely disagree with his own evaluation of the alternative cost of his time and the general pricing method he is using.

4. It might be good if this succeeds because we might get better games with more sensible pricing and desired end result.

This is in the ADOM indiegogo project's description :

- New stable releases for all supported platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Amiga, NetBSD, FreeBSD; Android and iPad/iOS are going to be stretch goals). Operating systems have evolved since 2002 and compatibility is becoming a serious issue.
    - Bug fixes for every bug we can find
    - Game balance patches
    - More elaborate interaction for many things that are currently only handled superficially
    - UI improvements to bring ADOM up-to-date with the progress the roguelike genre has made, to be decided upon based on recommendations of players in the forums (e.g. colored message, some kind of auto-exploration and others)
    - A series of magical statues distributed across the dungeons
    - A roster of new named random boss monsters with special powers
    - Exciting new graphics for the title screen and some quest-related events
    - Audio for sound effects and music for the game areas and important events
    - A freshly revised manual

In comparison this is taken straight from Toady's july update:

June:      $3599.86
May:       $4814.94
April:     $4623.70
March:     $6777.02
February: $12586.51

Total : $32 400

And you are welcome to go through the change log to see the major changes we've gone though since 0.34.1

If I'm going to pay someone to go back and fix up his old work, it's got to be the IVAN guys.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:10 pm »

I love the poop out of ADOM so me likey. However, I hope these new updates such as the statues and random bosses don't take away from the charm that the game already has. Really slippery slope he is going down. Bug fixes would be great but I would be wary of any actual additional content.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »

Not sure about "additional" content, but finishing "incomplete" content is something I would definitely go for.

Mindcrafter, for instance, feels like the only "complete" class.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9