Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64965 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #510 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:55 am »

Rome II: Total War has recently gained a new bit of DLC. "Beasts of War" adds seven new units involving variations of existing units like Celtic Warhounds, Armoured Elephants and Camel Cataphracts, as well as some new units like an onager that fires beehives and ballista that launch pots of snakes and scorpions (two different ballista, not a pot containing both snakes and scorpions).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/267630/'

Other then that, there was a recent spat between the creators of Rome 2: Total War and Company of Heroes 2. The result was CoH2 won and gained a small piece of DLC including some new units. I don't know whether "Beasts of War" is what Rome 2 would've gained if they'd won or not. I would guess it is.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 18, 2014, 07:51:37 am »

Honestly, I'd have just combined the two. I mean, yeah, the snakes might be stung to death by the scorpions before the pot lands on the target, but if it's raining pottery shards, snakes and scorpions around you, are you going to care?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »

Other then that, there was a recent spat between the creators of Rome 2: Total War and Company of Heroes 2. The result was CoH2 won and gained a small piece of DLC including some new units. I don't know whether "Beasts of War" is what Rome 2 would've gained if they'd won or not. I would guess it is.

It would have been free for five days.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »

some new units like an onager that fires beehives and ballista that launch pots of snakes and scorpions (two different ballista, not a pot containing both snakes and scorpions).

I am imagining a scammy cut-rate Archimedes trying to sell the Roman emperor on a whole new onager design. "Yes, Caesar," he says, "but my onager is designed to fire bees!"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 18, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »

Didn't realize Archimedes built a time machine as well. Should have pitched that.

Don't know about the bees and scorpions, but Hannibal used snake-throwing catapults to amusing efficiency in a NAVAL battle against the Greeks.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 18, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »

Didn't realize Archimedes built a time machine as well. Should have pitched that.

Don't know about the bees and scorpions, but Hannibal used snake-throwing catapults to amusing efficiency in a NAVAL battle against the Greeks.

.... Well... that's terrifying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now
« Reply #516 on: February 18, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »

Just for the record, Hannibal was working for the another Greek state at the time. This was long after Rome had driven him on exile from Carthage.

Oh, and they also mention what historical event/tradition are the grounds for each unit in the DLC description. It's just short blurbs, but yeah. Good to see Epirus getting some love, anyway. Gotta love Phyrrus.

It's a shame they missed out on this perfect opportunity to give the Persians battle cats, though.
Love, scriver~

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:01 am »

So...I don't get the negativity about this game. Got gifted it+all DLC the other day.

And...maybe vanilla sucks...or...people just on the hate train (which has happened with other games). Or maybe it has improved a lot.

But, I got Divide et Impera, some submods, unlock all factions...

And I'm having a blast. Way more fun to me than first Rome Total War, which was my #1 favorite Total War game (second was #2 Medieval 2 Total War).

Maybe it was because I never played Shogun 2 (I don't find the time period that interesting and the game was such a small map for me, but the Samurai's were awesome)

In any case...I also liked Empire Total War...and most didn't like it *shrug*

Then again, I never played Rome 2/Empire TW/Rome 1/Medieval 2 all with mods...didn't really play them vanilla. But R2TW with at least the mods I got are epic and a lot of fun.

Don't get all the hate though...maybe its just me or people refuse to use mods or something
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46:34 am »

The game has improved a lot since it was released 11.5 months ago.  It'll be entering beta any day now.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:12 am »

I've never had major problems with the game, honest. The units for me controlled just as well as previous instalments and it is a lot more stable than "Empire: Total War" is.

The biggest bug I had was enemy troops getting stuck while disembarking their transports during a land battle. Couldn't shoot at them and they weren't moving.

While the release might not have been as good as it could've been, Creative Assembly have done quite a good job on continuing to patch the game frequently, quite a while after other companies would've let it be.

For interests. I remember seeing a mod for "Rome II: Total War" that introduced medieval units. I'll go dig it up... here it is. No release yet but the model work is nice so far, though I think some of it is taken from "Mount and Blade".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:30 am »

So, have they fixed the testudo already? Followed patch notes for a year then get bored.  What's the situation now?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:40 am »

Testudo seems to be fixed...or at least better than it was...haven't used it much myself but it did seem to make the AI roman hastati last a good while against wall towers...

That said the siege AI is still broke as shit and mostly incompetent. Me and another friend usually play it with mods like Radious to polish it up to be more fun than I suspect vanilla is.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:50 am »

Rome 2 is more fun today than it was at release. But my main beef is that battles are over waaaaaaaaay too fast. A normal battle can be over under 10 minutes, a massive siege can be wrapped up in 20. Nice way to save time, sure, but it throws all sense of tactics out the window. A unit makes contact with one another, wrestles a bit and then POOF, bodies on the floor and one unit routing. It's just over in the blink of an eye and forget trying to do anything fancy as flanking. The fight will be over by the time your flankers hit the enemy.

My main beef with the game, that is. Everything else I can live with to some extent (even the AI that is less than stellar).
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:09 am »

Are there any good mods out there yet that fix the super quick battles? I haven't played the game for a long while, but after reading all the GoT books I'm getting the itch again.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:36 am »

I've been having a brilliant time with this recently, finishing up my Roman Empire game. The West has been mine for a long time, though the few vassal states look ugly on the map. Africa is an allied or vassal blue - I might take them in after I'm done otherwise. I'm at war with the whole of the remaining Hellenic world - that is, half of Anatolia, Seleucids, Egyptian Sparta (I kicked them off Greece), but crushing them one by one. The amount of agent warfare is ridiculous. I can get dozens of enemy agent actions in the same province in one turn. Hella fun, too - my spies have a Cappadocian nemesis who I've tried to hunt down for decades. I can imagine the shadow war so well.

Four legions are rolling up from the north - going through Crimea and all that and now striking at the huge Cappadocian empire from there - including the experimental Legio Scythica, largely composed of auxiliary horse archers (and led by Marcus Aurelius, heh).

I seem to have lost Titus Pullo, though. Pity. He was in someone's retinue, but I can't find him anymore.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41