Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64963 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #495 on: January 27, 2014, 12:16:05 pm »

I thought this looked interesting, and I kind want to play it. Sadly I have mac.
Anyone know how to get this to run on mac? Thanks.

I don't think the game is mac compatible, and it has some pretty hefty system requirements.

Yeah, while possible with older games, there's no way Rome 2 is going to run on modern Mac hardware.

The Mac Pros that we've LAN'd Rome 2 on at work with maxed settings would beg to differ :P I also have buddies that play Rome 2 on iMacs and MacBook Pros, albeit not on maxed settings.
[/quote]

Welp, I stand corrected. Also, your mac is more powerful than my desktop.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »

So I might get this, but it has a 3.9 user score on metacritic.  Is that just fans being weird, or is the score justified in some way?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 30, 2014, 11:59:12 pm »

I'd say that's mostly fan backlash. The game had problems on release but nowhere near as bad as Empire: Total War was. I think for me the most issue I had was frame rate drops during battles, which isn't really a big issue for me. Though from peoples accounts, issues had are very subjective. There's images of messed up troops for some people which I've never seen in my 200 hours playing.

I think it's a pretty good game, nice variation in cultures, large map to conquer, land/sea battles. It also has steam workshop support so mods to address some issues are bound to exist.

The ninth patch has just been released and as I understand it the majority of major issues people had have been addressed.

The issues people had upon release would certainly warrant a rather harsh reaction against the game, but I do think most of them are fixed by now.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:41 am »

So I might get this, but it has a 3.9 user score on metacritic.  Is that just fans being weird, or is the score justified in some way?

Mostly just the fans being disappointed. The game was pretty unfinished at release, (like every other total war game) but most of the problems have been patched out, and it's pretty decent now. Though the battle AI kinda sucks.

Also, the game has some hefty system requirements, although that might just be my system being outdated.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 31, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »

The game in its current state has shallower mechanics, worse AI and poorer performance (seriously, I even get the occasional framerate drop with crossfired 780tis) than any previous Total War game. 
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 01, 2014, 02:40:09 am »

worse AI 
Even Medieval 2?  I loved that game, but it takes a lot of tolerance to love 3 infantry getting wiped out by 2 archers because they marched back and forth in front of them instead of attacking.  Or the reinforcements that don't help for the whole battle and then steal your rams and march off to the map edge right when you have to take the citadel, making the fight unwinnable.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:21 am »

People's opinions are subjective. Some people's opinions are even more subjective than others.

Every person has to decide who to listen to and who to ignore.

I'm on the "the game is fine" side. But I believe my opinion has been made clear several times.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:10 am »

I think the game is fine as well. Never had any major problems since the first or second patch or so. As for the AI... Well, don't get me wrong, it's not super good or anything, but it's at the very least better than the previous games and equally bad at worst. Once thing in particular I've noticed is that the AI doesn't just stand dumbstruck while you're manoeuvering around it as much, and there's fewer stand-perpetually-in-one-spot-while-getting-showered-with-arrows moments (except for from ships - the AI really doesn't seem to understand how to deal with sea-to-land missiles, which can lead to some really stupid scenarios). During sieges, for example, if a unit is under fire, the AI will try shift units around to keep the point defended but move hurt units out kf harm's way. If possible (like during small town surges, where there is no wall) they might also attempt to charge the missile unit rather than just stand around like in previous games.. Oh, and walls actually help a little against arrows now, so you won't repeat silly scenarios from Shogun 2 where you could attack castles with mainly archers and kill every enemy without even setting foot in the keep. Well, okay - you won't get them as much - unless you play Parthians, anyway.

So yeah. The AI still isn't great by any means, and you'll certainly start noticing patterns (and be able to take advantage of them) sooner or later, but I still think there's been an improvement. And I'm one of those who's always complained about how their AI has been getting worse over the years (and I would still complain about them focusing on shiny graphics over better AI if you'd give me the chance - that's still an unfortunate truth).

Maybe it's because I really like the setting or just because of the sheer variety of units, but R2 is certainly the most fun TW game I've played since Medieval 2 or maybe the first Rome. The thing k would complain the most about is the continuing lack of campaign events and filler. The whole faction thingy had promise (and I particularly like the concept of having to watch out for "Caesars" among your generals) but proved completely biteless (at least if you prefer playing non-Roman factions, which doesn't get more than one faction and one "others" - which doesn't count because it's dull - to begin with*. Maybe factions were better done with Romans, I haven't played them enough to know), which was sad.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:27 am »

worse AI 
Even Medieval 2?  I loved that game, but it takes a lot of tolerance to love 3 infantry getting wiped out by 2 archers because they marched back and forth in front of them instead of attacking.  Or the reinforcements that don't help for the whole battle and then steal your rams and march off to the map edge right when you have to take the citadel, making the fight unwinnable.

I've seen the 'infantry doing formation drills in front of enemy archers' problem crop up many times in Rome 2.  Can't comment on the second as nobody has ever tried to reinforce me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »

I think a large part of the perception of the games state comes from the fact that it started on a really negative note and the community over on the forums for it have been relentless and non stop negative and whiny since....one of the worst communities I have ever seen

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2014, 02:50:20 pm »

worse AI 

I've seen the 'infantry doing formation drills in front of enemy archers' problem crop up many times in Rome 2.  Can't comment on the second as nobody has ever tried to reinforce me.

It was MY reinforcements.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »

It's worth adding that pike infantry are more flexible in this game, they can actually turn on a dime now. They're also way better at maintaining formation than melee infantry, who can never seem to maintain a cohesive formation when in combat, which kinda sucks for romans.

Come to think of it, pikemen are kinda op, in my experience.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2014, 04:19:05 pm »

As they should be.

I believe a recent patch made it so it's far more difficult for infantry to fall out of formation now though. In fact, I do recall being kinda frustrated that all my troops weren't engaging in the melee they were supposed to be engaging in. Content to stand there watching the men next to them fight and die.

You can remedy that by double clicking on the enemy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:19 pm »

Pikemen? OP? Maybe that I've mostly played Parthians might be related, but I've never found them to be ;D
Love, scriver~

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2014, 06:03:41 pm »

Looking forward to getting my new pc, so I can actually play it without suffering from pc-induced heat stroke.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41