Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65011 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »

What IS the counter to war dogs?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:15 pm »

Ships. Dogs can't swim. I hope?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »

Is it similar like Rome 1 where as long as handlers are alive it doesn't matter how many dogs die? Roman armies in Rome 1 loved war-dogs, could face armies with 10 stacks of wardogs but they weren't too scary.

Also slings should not be that effective vs shields, they can indeed be powerful and have a long range but stones/bullets bounce of shields while arrows can stick in shields and weigh them down or cause more damage to them. Armour wise slings can be effective just because of the impact so a shot to the helmet can cause blunt force trauma and knock someone out while an arrow might bounce off without causing as much damage. Javelins are deadly vs shields and armour though.

Slingers should require a lot more room then archers though, a formation of archers or javelin-men can fire/throw over each others heads while slingers would need wide lines just not to entagle each other while slinging let alone to avoid hitting each other.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:37 pm »

So since the patch, my game now hangs for 30-40 seconds whenever the camera is moved automatically. Immensely annoying, anyone else having this problem?

What IS the counter to war dogs?

War cats
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2013, 04:04:55 pm »

I just had a rebel slaughter my about 5 stacks of farmers and 1 stack of slingers, only for another stack of slingers and some levy spearmen I accidentally forgot about and left floating in boats to drive the army back. The enemy cavalry all died in the initial charge against the Farmers, so the Slingers just skirmished some sword bands into submission whilst the levy's got a lucky flanking ambush and decimated the spread apart armies.

Playing as Britannia is fun :) Unifying Britain is pretty easy though once you take over another settlement they line up to enter the British Confederation. I always liked playing as a British in Rome/Medieval because it gave a very clear goal at the start before moving on to Europe.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:20:11 pm by MorleyDev »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »

I see a lot of people complaining about the campaign and battle AI, saying it's too easy. Is this actually the case, or are people just whining? Because if it's true, then holy crap am I bad at this game. I get my ass handed to me on normal :/
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »

I'll say what I told my friend when he asked me why everyone was whining about bad AI.

"Yeah, the siege AI is quite dumb, there's no doubt about that. But out in the field, the AI is monstrous, especially on the higher difficulty levels. The diplomacy and overworld AI has improved dramatically too, not being completely nonsensical any more.

The guys who complain about AI are the same guys who play on normal and then say it's too easy. You've also got the guys with selective memories who forget all the times the AI outwits them and only remember the moments when they outwit the AI. You've also got those who only autoresolve every single battle. Those who savescum nonstop and conveniently forget the reasons why they savescummed.

Dozens of roads leading to the conclusion that "the AI sucks".

What people say and what they mean are completely different things. If you looked to the root of the complaints, you'd probably find an answer completely different to what they were claiming."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:20 pm »

the wiki article on sling is interesting, albeit ridden with [citation needed]

"The sling is mentioned by Homer[7] and by other Greek authors. The historian of the retreat of the Ten Thousand, 401 BC, relates that the Greeks suffered severely from the slingers in the army of Artaxerxes II of Persia, while they themselves had neither cavalry nor slingers, and were unable to reach the enemy with their arrows and javelins. This deficiency was rectified when a company of 200 Rhodians, who understood the use of leaden sling-bullets, was formed. They were able, says Xenophon, to project their missiles twice as far as the Persian slingers, who used large stones.[8]"

this passage in special shows how slingers were at least revered and respected by narrators, even accounting for their typical exaggerations, albeit it seems unlikely that 200 slinger could hold armies that numbered in thousands.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSsbCPeocU

I like this guy, lots of stuff about slings and other interesting crap

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »

Huh, sudden massive performance improvement. Campaign turn waiting times are much less, and my framerate in battles has gone from ~20 to ~45 without any changes to graphical settings. This is weird since right after the patch downloaded it got much, much worse. Has there been a secret hotfix or something?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »

As for siege AI. I had a group of four Eastern Spearmen (or whatever their base infantry is called) with one ladder each approach the walls of a settlement defended by five archer units... And not a single arrow was fired at them. I was kind of baffled.
Love, scriver~

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:42 am »

Yeah, the AI seems kind of split, sometimes it's absolutely fantastic, using hills as visual cover, mounting flank attacks, harrying infantry with skirmishers, etc etc.

Then sometimes, as just happened to me, they bring all their javelin throwers down off their walls, run out the gates towards me like "COME AT ME BROICUS" and try to engage my spartan hoplites in melee.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 07, 2013, 06:12:30 am »

if anyone is interested me and blank door are doing a stream of Rome 2 multiplayer campaign
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:21 am »

Yeah, the AI seems kind of split, sometimes it's absolutely fantastic, using hills as visual cover, mounting flank attacks, harrying infantry with skirmishers, etc etc.

Then sometimes, as just happened to me, they bring all their javelin throwers down off their walls, run out the gates towards me like "COME AT ME BROICUS" and try to engage my spartan hoplites in melee.

I had the AI attacking my city gate. They moved their troops into range of the gate to throw the torches at it, then when it was burning they moved back outside of tower range to wait for it to open. That was a neat bit of cleverness to see.

Though, I've also had enemy troops get stuck while jumping off of ships, not really unexpected that that can happen.

Another point had enemy troops sneak around behind my line and charge from hiding.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:47 am »

if anyone is interested me and blank door are doing a stream of Rome 2 multiplayer campaign

When, where, and why didn't you tell meeee
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41