Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65006 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »

Athens, Sparta and Macedonia? It will be fun kicking Rome's ass with them. I certainly intend to change the meaning of of "Phyrric victory" into it's opposite ;)
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:19 pm »

Athens, Sparta and Macedonia? It will be fun kicking Rome's ass with them. I certainly intend to change the meaning of of "Phyrric victory" into it's opposite ;)

A total, decisive victory, then? In the historical context, a total, decisive victory against Rome. Good plan.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:33 pm »

I told myself I wasn't going to get it...but its Total War. I was really disappointed with Empire Total War (that was such a huge screwup and they completely abandoned it for napolean that I didn't like at all) and played Shogun 2 but didn't like it...but that isn't my favorite era anyway. So that may be more personal than anything

I haven't even read any of the reviews or anything...and yet I see that its for sale and "must" have it. The roman era is probably my favorite era in history.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of mods compared to RTW 1 and Medieval 2. Unless they went back to support modding (and no, DarthMod, while great, isn't what I'm talking about. I loved europa barbarum for RTW. Third Age for M2 and Stainless Steel for M2).

Really, that is only reason I'm not jumping up to buy it. I do have the money, that isn't an issue at all. And even if they still don't support mods...ITS ROME! And I don't honestly care about launch day issues. Nearly every major game has those.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:59 pm »

A total, decisive victory, then? In the historical context, a total, decisive victory against Rome. Good plan.

Or a loss with only one casualty, I suppose.

...I think I'll go with your one.
Love, scriver~

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »

What's it called when the losing side still takes out lots of enemies, like Battle of Thermopylae. "Phyrric Defeat" ? Although I do know that in the Phyrric Victory they didn't lose as many men as the Romans, it's just that they couldn't afford to lose the number of men that they did.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »

Not sure what the term for that is. I call it 'Making them pay for their victory'.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 03, 2013, 01:49:13 pm »

Its Phyrric Victory for them, its just a close defeat for you. As I recall there is no term similar to a "Phyrric Defeat"
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 03, 2013, 02:02:27 pm »

A "glorious last stand" would be what you call it, I suppose.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 03, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

The AI on hard is pretty good. One interesting thing I saw during my short time in my campaign is barbarians completely abandoning their cities in the face of massive armies to go attack undefended cities like pirates. One instance was where my allied barbarian nation to the north was about to siege the last city of another barbarian faction to my northwest. As soon as both our armies were about to hit the enemy city (missed it by a tile) the massive army, which might have successfully defended the capital against us considering they also get free garrison troops, abandoned the city entirely by getting on boats and sailing south to my other cities. We easily took the city obviously but now I have a roaving group of death just moving through my smaller settlements areas attacking cities, regardless of owner, they can take with minimal resistance.

Edit: Just adding how frustrating, which is fun, it was that not only is the enemy causing a huge headache with their raiding nonsense now but that in the way they abandoned their capital my ally took their city instead of me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:41:14 pm by Shadow Creator »
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »

I have one niggle, before I had to put the game down I managed to get all three agents... They seem to all do the same thing to be honest it's just worded differently and what the hell happened to the little movies! They were the most enjoyable part. Atleast in shogun there was a buff enough difference between the ninja and the geisha were different enough to be enjoyable.

Also you would think the diplomat would do well diplomat things.

Liking the game, disappointed with the agents they were my favourite part of the other games
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:15 pm »

Might be strategic victory if it actually has a purpose like to delay/turn back enemy army, if it's just in pure defiance though with no real overall goal (other then kill as many of the bastards) then Last Stand is probably appropriate, the margin of defeat will signify whether glorious or foolish.

And to re-iterate be careful when playing on hardest campaign difficulty, any enemy you are at war with will treat you as their sole target regardless of how many other enemies they have.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 03, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »

The spies and champions have some awesome differences and I believe what they were doing was making more of a rock-paper-scissors game with the agents. I for one love the champions ability to be stationed with armies and actively train them to gain ranks without fighting. If you train that tree on the champion the training gets insane. Spies have been invaluable for poisoning cities like crazy before an invasion as the garrisons are all dead which on harder difficulties is huge.

Spies beat diplomats, diplomats beat champions, and champions beat spies... at least they have advantages against each other in that order.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 03, 2013, 07:26:43 pm »

don't know exactly what is wrong but it kind of lack epicness.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »

don't know exactly what is wrong but it kind of lack epicness.

I demand your people become a client state and pay tribute for your horrible insults! Refuse and I shall taunt you over the internet!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2013, 05:32:20 am »

lot is changed. some is good, some is bad.

here is a random collection of thoughts based on the first stages of a quick grand campaign

too many settlements, it looks like you are conducting one million petty wars not one grand campaign

generals arrow immunity is at its peak

very nice you can disembark from ships during sieges

you can embark anytime you want for 'massive instant free fleet' unless I missed some hidden cost
also you are sieging a port with three ships suddenly the army arrive and there are 20 brand new ships

seen enemy cavalry charge trough triarii formation just ignoring them and passing behind to kill leves
5 second later my cav was slaughtered while passing in a mob.

menus all over the places, finding the right tab is a mess (like when an army is in the city and you have to upgrade the general)

chose between super zoomed in campaign map or unplayable outline map

settlements don't readily shown garrison strength

AI is a bit better in battle, at least a bit more dynamic

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41