Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64982 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:51 am »

In medieval ii i had an army of spare generals - 16 of them - as a quick response unit against small stacks

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:54 am »

Ugh, the game is released, but I'm stuck in school and can't play  :(
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2013, 06:49:18 am »

so how's the game so far? worth the 60$?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:17 am »

The silence seems to be a good sign. Reviews are iffy, but steam stats before release seemed to show a very small percentage of reviewers actually even completing a campaign...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2013, 07:00:57 am »

So for the last 3 hours I've dicked about with the settings, done the tutorial stuff and begun my first campaign. This game is pretty awesome. The AI seems to have improved since Shogun 2, it plays more aggressively and less reactionary than in previous games.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2013, 07:09:16 am »

I have to stop playing for now but so far it is amazing. It is quite a bit different from the first and there are a lot of things to learn. Espionage is way easier but costs money per action. From the start I am killing people off left and right without consequence. The building system is going to take getting used to. Right now I don't like the change to building trees but I will get used to it. The fights are pretty awesome as they are forcing massive armies with the change to armies only being allowed to move with a general. Also, all towns have automatic garrison troop types depending on the various buildings you have so sieges get large. Diplomacy is huge in this compared to the old one and making client states is not only easier but much more necessary with the way there are province wide morale issues. There is also internal political struggles you have to deal with depending on what people you play along with random events you'd see in 4X game like GalCiv.

Example: A local beauty is killed by jealous women in a town. If you do nothing Aphrodite is pissed and you suffer. If you put the women to trial or kill them then the population is pissed off. You could choose to try and appease Aphrodite but as I didn't choose that not sure what would happen.

Currently playing on hard difficulty with extreme graphics at 1920x1080 and I must say the game is stellar so far.
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2: totally a game now!
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2013, 07:43:27 am »

Whoo!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:33 am »

The silence seems to be a good sign. Reviews are iffy, but steam stats before release seemed to show a very small percentage of reviewers actually even completing a campaign...

This is why I stopped listening to reviewers and only take opinions from you, but even then I will buy a game if I think it's good
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:56 am »

This is why I stopped listening to reviewers and only take opinions from you, but even then I will buy a game if I think it's good

Wait, you buy games completly on my opinion? Wow, that's a lot of responsibility you've put on me, geez. Haven't even played the game yet (work). But ya, I'm in the same boat. Game reviewers are paid to nitpick, and do it quickly, which will ruin any game.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2013, 10:21:03 am »

On the otherhand, nitpicking is fun. Good reviews tell you the good and bad so you go in eyes open. If a few flaws made something unenjoyable, we'd never enjoy anything since everything has flaws.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2013, 11:09:18 am »

True enough, though often they are flaws I wouldn't really notice until they point them out, and it just depresses me a bit. anyway, I should have a good time with the game when I get home tonight.
Also, this game is another reminder to avoid forums dedicated to specific games. Ugh.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »

The biggest complaint that review sites seem to echo is that it's too complicated.

They say this and all their gameplay videos show them charging cavalry into spears or doing other incredibly stupid things.

I mean... You're always going to sound pretentious when you call someone dumb but come on... At least try to understand how it works.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »

That's because most 'game reviewers' aren't gamers nor do they have brains. We have the later TWs to blame for the expectation of nil difficulty in battle. Right click to win does not apply when there's actual balanced mechanics to troop types that doesn't consist of just numbers.

I just hope the campaign AI isn't terribly pitiful.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:36:39 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2013, 12:42:41 pm »

I just hope the campaign AI isn't terribly pitiful.

I've put 5 hours into a campaign and I can tell you it's not. While fighting a war with the something something League (I forget), I had them using agents to incite unrest really far away from the front lines, forcing me to pull troops out of the main fights to quell rebellions. I also had them use guerilla tactics on me after I took all of their provinces on the mainland; their armies scattered into visual cover (on the campaign map) and I lost sight of them all. Every now and then I get ganked by a hidden army. It's like when you spill lego all over the floor and you keep standing on pieces for days. Only fun.

The campaign AI also seems to be able to use navies properly now. Where in Shogun 2 their strategy consisted entirely of "make navy, sit navy on trade route, forget", I now have them blockading my ports, actively protecting (instead of reactively clearing) their ports, and using them to cover coastal invasions (which are AWESOME, by the way).

So yeah, campaign AI is definitely good, imo. The battle AI is pretty awesome, too. I had it split it's army into 2 groups and use the visual cover of a hill brow to sneak around my line and hammer and anvil me pretty hard. It was awesome.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »

SO, is it worth the £30 on steam, or the ~£25 elsewhere?

I still have R:TW installed and it's an incredible game. Will I naturally love this?

Shame we can't play as Epirus without the DLC, would be fun to kick Athens', Sparta's and Macedonia's ass with them!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41