Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64996 times)

iamthelol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »

uh huh :)

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:41 am »

PTW!

I've never really thought that artillery was effective against infantry in the total war games. With the exception of cannons against mounted units.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2013, 11:24:51 am »

PTW!

I've never really thought that artillery was effective against infantry in the total war games. With the exception of cannons against mounted units.

Well, I had a blast using siege weapons against the Gauls last time I played RTW as the Julii, especially when defending up a hill. I also had good luck using them against phalanxes, who generally aren't too good at dodging anything because of the tight formation.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:06 am »

Catapults will destroy ai infantry, should they hit. Just put a line of legionaries on either side.  No fire!  bad!

For their parts scorpions and ballistas are great for sniping out ai leaders (or otherwise stationary units).  Fire is okay on these if no friendlies are in front of them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:38 am »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/23/total-war-rome-2-reveals-its-plan-for-post-launch-free-dlc/

Well, that's interesting and nice to hear. So on top of paid DLC, they plan to add free stuff here and there too. Including the Seleucid faction in October. For free. Weren't people clammering about them? I didn't play the first Rome, and I don't know much about the period, but I'm pretty sure I saw a few  riots or some such when they weren't announced as playable.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/23/total-war-rome-2-reveals-its-plan-for-post-launch-free-dlc/

Well, that's interesting and nice to hear. So on top of paid DLC, they plan to add free stuff here and there too. Including the Seleucid faction in October. For free. Weren't people clammering about them? I didn't play the first Rome, and I don't know much about the period, but I'm pretty sure I saw a few  riots or some such when they weren't announced as playable.

If I remember correctly, the Seleucid faction had pretty much everything. Good pikemen, legionaries, heavy cavalry, chariots, even elephants. Their few downsides were also easily manageable too. I'm not surprised that they were one of the more popular factions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »

They were also very important historically, being the Persian remnant of Alexander the Great's empire.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »

In most field battles siege weapons are fairly useless unless you already have overwhelming odds in which case they can be useful for having to waste less men on the enemy, in an evenly matched battle I would prefer a unit of cavalry instead of an onager or ballista, that being said I have managed to win completely outnumbered battles by turtling up in the corner and having my siege weapons just go crazy on the advancing enemy but it's a bit mean because it's exploiting a limitation of the game to be immune to flanking and forcing enemy to bunch up.

I'm having fun in a new campaign as Scipii on hardest difficulty, managed to take Apollonium in turn 2 with the assistance of the Brutii who didn't siege it and actually did all the work in killing everyone and then handing over the territory for me :D

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2013, 03:01:22 pm »

If I remember correctly, the Seleucid faction had pretty much everything. Good pikemen, legionaries, heavy cavalry, chariots, even elephants. Their few downsides were also easily manageable too. I'm not surprised that they were one of the more popular factions.

Their downside – in campaign mode – is that they are in a really crappy position to start with and you have to defend your cities against repeated Egyptian sieges with practically nothing but militia hoplites. :D Once you get past that point and your unit roster opens up you can do anything you want. "How would I like to kill Romans today? With elephants? With chariots? With cataphracts? With my own legions? With good old-fashioned phalangites and Cretan archers? Pass me the grapes, I must ponder this"

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »

Yup poor, small, and under tension from the get.  But fun with just about everything in its rooster.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »

Also there is little in RTW more beautiful than opening up a battle by smashing the Egyptian general's personal chariot with the first flaming cinderblock thrown from one of your onagers.

A cavalry unit may be strictly more useful but onagers are hard to beat for style.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:09 am »

I am extremley dissapointed in myself.
For the most part, I had pretty much ignored this, stayed out of the hype, not read anything. Then, 2 weeks ago, I preordered, and it was all downhill from there. I've ready every dev-post I could find, watched all the videos, and still have a week left till release where I can't bear to pick up another strategy game for fear that I'll wear myself out before I get my hands on the new game, despite my desperate craving for a good strategy game lately.
I had done so well...

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

I am extremley dissapointed in myself.
For the most part, I had pretty much ignored this, stayed out of the hype, not read anything. Then, 2 weeks ago, I preordered, and it was all downhill from there. I've ready every dev-post I could find, watched all the videos, and still have a week left till release where I can't bear to pick up another strategy game for fear that I'll wear myself out before I get my hands on the new game, despite my desperate craving for a good strategy game lately.
I had done so well...

You really fell off the wagon. I've been playing EU4 to get myself in a strategy mindset. I tried booting up RTW but that just hurt my soul. One week mate, you can do it. Play some skyrim or something. RTWII is coming out the day after I'm done with my internship with nothing to do for a month. Joy of joys.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41