Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now that is what I call conscription  (Read 3514 times)

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
Now that is what I call conscription
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »

It's the 11th of sandstone 258 mid-Autumn.

After months of plaguing by the undead and those necromancer jerks I thought the waves of undead had been captured exterminated, or wandered off to an area of harmlessness.

This proved not to be the case however, as soon as burrow restrictions where lifted the dead attacked my dwarfs who wandered out into the wilderness around are fortress.

Dozens perished and i discovered that although my military was listed as having two full squads they where composed of people who'd been missing for weeks -_-

The humans who showed up to trade weren't satisfied with a 2000+ trader profit so my expected re supply didn't go through, in retrospect i wish I'd seized everything they owned and left them to deal with the dead.

So with the fortress in chaos and everyone running around screaming (all outside i might add, the fortress has yet to be penetrated) I did what any responsible leader would.

I drafted EVERYONE.

Now the undead are on the other side of the overwhelming force and my military is mostly kicking ass.

The only question is will this mass conscription cause a tantrum spiral? Guess i'll find out soon
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Now that is what I call conscription
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:37 pm »

How did you arm all your conscripts? Was there enough weapons and armor to go around?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »

If not, produce whatever you can. Copper armor, training swords, fuck it. Pull together at least a head and torso covering for your dwarves and preferably a shield.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

I'm manufacturing rock swords by the bin for just this eventuality. They'll at least have something vaguely sharp.
That said I expect they'll all use them on each other as the immigrants have pushed population over 200 and we have bedrooms and dining geared for more like 45.
On the plus side, we should get to 45 soon.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »

I usually give crossbows to everyone without a conflicting civilian uniform. Makes for very interesting loyalty cascades.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:22 pm »

I usually give crossbows to everyone without a conflicting civilian uniform. Makes for very interesting loyalty cascades.
The StarWars Solution? :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:39 pm »

I'm manufacturing rock swords by the bin for just this eventuality. They'll at least have something vaguely sharp.
Rock swords aren't 'vaguely sharp;' they're combat saws. If they hit a spot of bare flesh they will mess it up.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »

Rock swords aren't 'vaguely sharp;' they're combat saws. If they hit a spot of bare flesh they will mess it up.
Just don't drop one, or you'll break it. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

My queen has unknowingly been preparing the Bronzemark against the day when mass conscription is necessary by constantly mandating the production (and forbidding the trading) of such things as maces, bucklers and backpacks.

~150 screaming dorfs armed with steel maces will make anything crap itself, I'd wager.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »

Just don't drop one, or you'll break it. ;)
Notwithstanding the bug where obsidian swords don't cut as well as wood swords. See:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91297.0

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:43 am »

Combat saws! I love it!

As long as they can do some damage that works for me.
It'd be nice if they did some slashing damage too though.
Does the raw file editing in that old thread still work in .11?
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »

Combat saws! I love it!

As long as they can do some damage that works for me.
It'd be nice if they did some slashing damage too though.
Does the raw file editing in that old thread still work in .11?
"Combat saws" more like "butter knives"

Just save yourself the problems and make some wooden training swords instead.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »

I'd say if it's an emergency, anything is better than nothing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »

Obsiaian is, supposedly, sharp enough to be as good as some of the worse metals. If nothing else, obsidian short swords have an edge, which is useful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:47 am »

If not, produce whatever you can. Copper armor, training swords, fuck it. Pull together at least a head and torso covering for your dwarves and preferably a shield.

Moar shields are better weapons than training swords.

I drafted EVERYONE.

Yep. Although are the undead getting back up again? I'd be more worried about an undead spiral if these are untrained recruits you're sending.
Pages: [1] 2