Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rocks Left from Mining  (Read 2803 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocks Left from Mining
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »

Coming back to DF after a major version change, I see that even legendary miners don't leave much stone behind when they dig. And that's nice for keeping the floor clean, but not always convenient when you want lots of stone.

1. Is there any way to tell the miners to leave behind more stone?

2. Do they automatically leave behind 100% of gems and ore?

3. Do inexperienced miners still sometimes destroy gems and ore?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks Left from Mining
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:23 pm »

Mining drops are no longer experiance based... All stones including ores drop 1/4 of the time while gem veins drop 100%. However all ores now produce 4 bars per ore and bolders produce 4 blocks, so it more or less evens out.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »

1. unfortunately no :( That's something that bothers me, too.

2. Gems drop 100 %, ore drops like stone (constant 25 %, regardless of skill!), but makes 4 bars at smelting, so it's 100 % bars on average

3. inexperienced miners are exactly like experienced ones except in their speed
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »

Mining drops are no longer experiance based... All stones including ores drop 1/4 of the time while gem veins drop 100%. However all ores now produce 4 bars per ore and bolders produce 4 blocks, so it more or less evens out.

Oh, so that's why my block stockpile is getting full so quickly
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »

Thanks for the info. I didn't see it anywhere in the wiki.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

All small clusters have a 100% drop rate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:11 pm »

I don't know if its changed, but I was just looking at it and flux materials can't be crafted into blocks. This means a fort will actually simply have 1/4 the flux as previously.

Edit:
I was looking on the wiki about the flux being able to be blocks: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Flux
"Note that blocks made out of flux materials cannot be used in the production of pig iron or steel"
Maybe someone needs to update the wiki.

Back to original message:

I'm in the group of people who are unsure if they like that change. I stopped finding boulders everywhere a hinderence and now wonder what the point of the mining skill is.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:11:54 pm by Viking »

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

Is cotton candy a cluster? because lowered drop rate on that would make me sad, even though Ive never gotten that deep   ;D
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »

You can totally craft blocks out of flux stone - I'm pretty sure one of my current fortresses has a few marble blocks. You may need to edit the "economic" value of stone in one of the menus, though. However, I don't think you can use blocks in reactions.

Re: candy, I think it's still a 100% drop rate.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

I stopped finding boulders everywhere a hinderence and now wonder what the point of the mining skill is.

Try mining out an entire z-level of rock (not soil, rock) with 16 miners with no mining skill at all.  See how long that takes you.  Alternatively, try mining somewhere an enemy encounter is likely and the unskilled miner will have to defend himself with his pick.  Have a coffin ready.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:11 pm »

I can confirm flux blocks, too.  I just made a Trade Depot from 3 chalk blocks.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

I updated my post, I only got that from the wiki where it states flux blocks can't be used in the creation of pig iron or steel which is what I meant :p Again, maybe its changed and the wiki needs to be updated.

Weenog: Those are good points!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:58 am »

Is cotton candy a cluster? because lowered drop rate on that would make me sad, even though Ive never gotten that deep   ;D
It's already had a 100% drop rate regardless of miner skill.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:01:55 am »

It's already had a 100% drop rate regardless of miner skill.
But you only get one candy waffle from it of course. Not 4 bars from 1 ore.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

The main issue is that things made from rocks at the crafting / mechanic / mason workstations, can't be made from blocks.  Other then that, having to use blocks for constructions and using wheelbarrows to haul stone around works rather nicely.

I've been tempted to edit my RAWs to fix the recipes for furniture, crafts, mechanisms...
Pages: [1] 2