Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672972 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Battle Analyzer patched out
« Reply #2520 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:49 pm »

don't play seasonal games

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalchristmascharade-73419163

get some popcorn, and strap yourself in for 128+ turns of Seasonal Suffering!
Oh my god...

------

Knirisk: Galvantula. I think in total there are like 5 pokemon that can actually use it, but the rest really suck. A lot of people really like sticky web though and they're actually more than happy to suicide lead Galvantula just to get it off. I don't really understand it myself.

Oops. I was thinking that there were like two others in addition to Galvantula.

Tsuchigumo, I think paralysis may have saved your Walrein in the end. Unless you still use PP while paralyzed, but I don't think you do.
Also often called Boowells.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: December 30, 2013, 04:52:27 pm »

You don't. Which is why I kept screaming "FUCKING PARA" in the chat

I still had blissey, so it was win win. Just a really really drawn out one.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 01, 2014, 06:06:44 am »

Knirisk: Galvantula. I think in total there are like 5 pokemon that can actually use it, but the rest really suck. A lot of people really like sticky web though and they're actually more than happy to suicide lead Galvantula just to get it off. I don't really understand it myself.

Oops. I was thinking that there were like two others in addition to Galvantula.

Tsuchigumo, I think paralysis may have saved your Walrein in the end. Unless you still use PP while paralyzed, but I don't think you do.

According to serebii.net, 6 families learn it via levels, none by egg or tutor and of course, IF it can be sketched, 7.

1. Spinarak - lv50/ Ariados lv58
2. Shuckle - lv1 and lv53
3. Surskit - lv46
4. Kricketune - lv44   
5. Sewaddle - lv31   
6. Galvantula-lv1 and level65

Of them and Smeargle, Galvantula is the fastest, which is important for getting out your prefered hazard but Galvantula likely will not survive a hit.

I personally don't battle for competition so i can't estimate any tier changes, but...I certainly see why Galvantula is getting a lot of use in teams thanks to being the speediest user of it, as mentioned before.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:08:28 am by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2523 on: January 01, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

I feel like a sticky web Galvantula would work well on a team with a death beam Gardevoir discussed earlier.

That, and a baton pass Blaziken. Problem with that is, why are you using a Blaziken for baton pass when you could just use it to wipe the enemy team?

Anyway, can anyone think of a good team for a death beam Gardevoir?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 01, 2014, 04:05:46 pm »

Anything that can protect/utilize it as a striker. Possibly something with para or sleep or something, Mean Look, and U-Turn. Paralyze the opponent, switch, nuke.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 01, 2014, 04:57:02 pm »

You need to overcome the weaknesses:

1. Gardevoir can't do anything for one turn after using the beam. You can't even switch.
2. Fairy-powered beam won't kill anything steel, fairy, or fire or poison type. Furthermore, it won't kill anything with good special defense. After all, it's actually not THAT impressive. A single nasty plot + STAB move is way more powerful than that pixellate hyper beam. So guys like Snorlax or Florges would just laugh at your face.
3. Mega Gardevoir won't have any items. This means no leftovers... no lum berry... no sitrus berry... no choice specs... etc.
4. Mega Gardevoir is quite slow for a sweeper. 100 speed won't win any awards. It's also quite squishy and will die easily to things like Talonflame's brave bird, Azumaril's aqua jet, or Scizor's bullet punch. Even a poison jab from something like Gliscor would obliterate it in one hit.

------------

So basically you need other mons to clear out the enemy mons that can resist Gardevoir. Don't think that just because the enemy has a Garchomp you can beat it with a Gardevoir. Garchomp can easily OHKO your Gardevoir with a single earthquake. You also need good coverage to fight against the inevitable steel, poison, fairy, and fire types. Furthermore, if you're thinking you need to switch your Gardevoir in and out of combat a lot, you have to get someone to remove hazards such as poison spikes, spikes, or stealth rock.

It might be wise to get a wish user as well as a reflect / light screen user as you're trying to buy as much time as possible for Gardevoir to recover.

Might also be more useful in doubles than singles. As in doubles you can use team protecting moves to defend during the recovery.

-------

By the way, I have fought Mega Gardevoirs and Sylveons before who've used hyper beam. I didn't realize at the time they were using pixellate but it was never a problem to deal with them.

After all, every single time I see Gardevoir or Slyveon appear, I usually just stall for one turn. So I would do a protect or I would switch with a steel type just to see what they would do. Since they both selected to use the hyper beam bomb, they were stuck the next turn which meant I easily destroyed them.

You might want to watch for that. If the enemy you're fighting has something that can resist the hyper beam and they switch it in when you use it... you're kinda fucked.

Furthermore, let's say you did kill the target. Now you can't do anything and the enemy switches in a... Lucario. He then uses that free turn to use a swords dance. Next turn he kills you in one hit with a bullet punch. What on earth do you do now? Lucario is 2x powered for free. That's another threat you have to watch for.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 01, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »

You need to overcome the weaknesses:

1. Gardevoir can't do anything for one turn after using the beam. You can't even switch.
2. Fairy-powered beam won't kill anything steel, fairy, or fire or poison type. Furthermore, it won't kill anything with good special defense. After all, it's actually not THAT impressive. A single nasty plot + STAB move is way more powerful than that pixellate hyper beam. So guys like Snorlax or Florges would just laugh at your face.
3. Mega Gardevoir won't have any items. This means no leftovers... no lum berry... no sitrus berry... no choice specs... etc.
4. Mega Gardevoir is quite slow for a sweeper. 100 speed won't win any awards. It's also quite squishy and will die easily to things like Talonflame's brave bird, Azumaril's aqua jet, or Scizor's bullet punch. Even a poison jab from something like Gliscor would obliterate it in one hit.

While I don't doubt your list in bold there, I should mention Fairy Type Pokemon do not resist Fairy type Moves. They take the normal x1 damage though.
So I don't see why, outside of High Special Defense Fairies, that Pixilate Hyper Beam won't be able to KO opponent Fairies.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:09:24 pm by RekkaAtsuma »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 01, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »

All the fairies being used have really high special defense. Their average special defense is really high as well as a species. I don't think a pixellate hyper beam can kill them in one hit from full. Maybe Azumarill. Definitely not a Florges or a Slyveon.

It's like rock type and physical defense, even though for some reason rock-type is generally really weak to physical attacks.

Here's the list of fairy types you will see in a comp game:
1. Florges
2. Sylveon
3. Togekiss
4. Azumarill
5. Gardevoir
6. Mega Mawile
7. Klefki
8. Carbink

Out of all of them, only Azumarill has "weak" special defense. Even then it's 80, which is pretty high, and it has a lot of HP. Even those I didn't list there tend to have high special defense as well, though you will rarely if ever see them (though they tend to offset this by having massive HP pools).

A pixellate hyper beam is not THAT powerful, as I mentioned. It's 50% from STAB + 30% extra damage from pixellate. It'll bring many things down low, but many foes will be standing after it. Hyper beam itself is 150 damage, which is okay... but when you compare it with other common damage moves, it's not very impressive. Earthquake for example is 100. Since hyper beam is essentially two turns worth of DPS, it's not that impressive all things considered. You can boost it with calm mind, but that's even more set up for a skill that leaves you defenseless right afterwards.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:13 pm »

All the fairies being used have really high special defense. Their average special defense is really high as well as a species. I don't think a pixellate hyper beam can kill them in one hit from full. Maybe Azumarill. Definitely not a Florges or a Slyveon.

It's like rock type and physical defense, even though for some reason rock-type is generally really weak to physical attacks.

Here's the list of fairy types you will see in a comp game:
1. Florges
2. Sylveon
3. Togekiss
4. Azumarill
5. Gardevoir
6. Mega Mawile
7. Klefki
8. Carbink

Out of all of them, only Azumarill has "weak" special defense. Even then it's 80, which is pretty high, and it has a lot of HP. Even those I didn't list there tend to have high special defense as well, though you will rarely if ever see them (though they tend to offset this by having massive HP pools).

A pixellate hyper beam is not THAT powerful, as I mentioned. It's 50% from STAB + 30% extra damage from pixellate. It'll bring many things down low, but many foes will be standing after it. Hyper beam itself is 150 damage, which is okay... but when you compare it with other common damage moves, it's not very impressive. Earthquake for example is 100. Since hyper beam is essentially two turns worth of DPS, it's not that impressive all things considered. You can boost it with calm mind, but that's even more set up for a skill that leaves you defenseless right afterwards.

Yeah I know fairy is known for its average SPdef being the highest of all types, but even then, with the right planning and etc, any attack can be a kill switch.

Anyways, my response to the parts I bolded in the quote is that moves like Hyper Beam, Blast Burn and etc are not meant to be used early or mid game, that are just what they are: the all out win-it-or-lose it "Hyper" Attack.
In my case I would never use a hyper beam style move unless I knew: A - I'll get the kill and B - it'll end the battle when I do use it.
...and even then I've only ever Used Blast burn on a special-sweeper invested Typhlosion back in gen4, and only until I got the four moves I wanted on it.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 02, 2014, 12:30:54 pm »

This could potentially work on either a basic Calm Mind Baton Pass or a Lazy Durant Entrainment -> Calm Mind, Protect, Baton Pass, ??? build.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 03, 2014, 06:04:08 am »

So I have a few themed-teams I want to build for local friendly play, one is based on ultimate defense, so...which is better?
Lairon with Eviolite or Mega-Aggron? or Focus band/sash Aggron?
Lairon is double weak to fighting I know but doesnt Eviolite make Lairon's defense stat calculate to higher than MegaAggron's? I also know that MegaAggron has that awesome filter and mono steel combo.
I personally really wanna try Mega-Aggron myself but i just need an opinion here.

Of course Focus-item Aggron is a set-up to consider too but...yeah I'm unsure as I rarely use defenders

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »

Sturdy/Metal Burst/Custap Berry/Endeavor Aggron.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2532 on: January 05, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »

Despite any earlier implications, I know nothing about competitive play. The death beam Gardevoir was just an observation.

Anyway, I need help. I want to try to build a decent team, but I don't know what Pokemon to use. I know you pick a Pokemon and build a team around it, but I don't know what most Pokemon are used for, and trying to piece things together from individual descriptions doesn't help.

So here's a Pokemon I have:

Gardevoir @ ??
Ability: Trace
E.V.s: Intended: 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd. Miscalculated. Fixing with berries.
Modest Nature
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Moon Blast

What item to give it and what teammate to use, I have no idea. From my inexperienced perspective, possible team mates, not necessarily together on the same team, are: Azumarill, Ditto, Mawile. Possible items: Choice scarf, Choice specs, Focus Sash, Gardevoirite.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:16 pm »

I don't know about others, but I don't normally pick a team around a single pokemon. Rather, I think of what I want to be able to do and build a team around that. Maybe you should try that? For example, maybe you want a team that is really hard to kill? Then you start getting pokemon that have stuff like Regenerator and Natural Cure. Maybe you want something that manipulates weather? Then you grab Sand Stream and Drizzle users.

Or maybe you want something balanced? Can deal with almost anything, just excels at nothing in particular. Then you'll need roles. Do you want someone to deploy entry hazards such as Stealth Rock or Spikes? Then consider Ferrothorn or Donphan. Do you want someone that exists only to inflict status on enemies? Consider someone with Prankster like Klefki or Sableye.

Don't be afraid if you don't understand a word of this though. You don't need to know everything at the start. Just build around what you know, have a few fights, and change your style as you go along.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2534 on: January 05, 2014, 05:47:47 pm »

My big problem is I don't know where to start. I see this and that, but don't know what Pokemon can do this and that.

Edit for clarity: You give examples, but I still don't know full structure of what's needed for X team and what can do what's needed for X, or know enough Pokemon that can do this or that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:57:47 pm by Mageziya »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 463