Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672971 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Battle Analyzer patched out
« Reply #2505 on: December 29, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »

I would see it as a last resort desperation move. It would be a really effective one. Not really something you rely on. After all, let me list the counters:

1. Recharge timers don't let you switch out, if not Slaking would be the most OP shit in the world. So you can't swap your mons around.
2. All the -ate users are pretty freaking slow. Mega Pinsir is probably the only exception, but even then he's only okay-ish fast. This means that not only are they liable to die before they even get their stuff off (especially if you build them for DPS and not tanky) but you could easily start hitting something like substitute... or get paralyzed... or get u-turned out... etc.
3. My personal approach when someone sends out a versatile pokemon against me is to use protect or some other kind of stalling move to see what they're up to. Mega beam and its variants will still go on recharge even if it does no damage.
4. It will lose to anyone with priority, of which everyone uses anyway. Mega Gardevoir dies in one hit to brave bird Talonflame for example. It will also die to bullet punch Scizor... bullet punch Lucario... aqua jet + belly drum Azumarill... etc.
5. It won't really do anything to steel pokemon, fire, or poison types... of which there are many.

That's just the common ones, there are specialized things like how it would be absolutely useless against a sweeper sitting behind substitute or a fast spore user. But the point is, if the enemy doesn't have any of those available... they're probably going to die.

So you could do something like this:

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hyper Beam
- Calm Mind

So it has good coverage, and if you know the enemy can't counter the 1 turn of inactivity, then you can blast out the hyper beam.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »

Also, I was unaware Gardevoir got Hyper Voice.
Move tutor in 5th gen, I think B2/W2 thus only via import for X/Y. but any pokemon with a megastone bearing it's species name can mega evolve.
So if i had gotten to use Pokemon Bank and Poketransfer I'd have already ported Her in with it and have her be my team resident Singer.

Of course, I personally prefer Dazzling Gleam (seriously gardevoir's {and mega gardevoir's} skirt flies up to reveal a silver light emanating from her legs...yeah, she flashes us, lol) over any other fairy move, pixilated or not. But I only mentioned Hyper voice because it goes from 90 to 120-ish power and gets stab, outweighing Dazzling Gleam, and both strike all opposing pokemon near the user in Doubles/Triples.
Though like mentioned, Gardevoir is slow so unless you use something to boost her speed and have already handled priority users, she'll  go down quick.
EDIT - mistyped my power calculation, even still it's only an estimate.

I personally love the entire Ralts line, Gallade included, and always have since Hoenn's glory days, so I can say I'm a smidge biased and would use her even with such slow speed, and Mega Evolution for Gardevoir was nice, but yes, the no-useful item cost of Mega Evolving is a drawback to all megas.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:14:54 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: December 29, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »

Move tutor in 5th gen, I think B2/W2 thus only via import for X/Y. but any pokemon with a megastone bearing it's species name can mega evolve.
So if i had gotten to use Pokemon Bank and Poketransfer I'd have already ported Her in with it and have her be my team resident Singer.

Of course, I personally prefer Dazzling Gleam (seriously gardevoir's {and mega gardevoir's} skirt flies up to reveal a silver light emanating from her legs...yeah, she flashes us, lol) over any other fairy move, pixilated or not. But I only mentioned Hyper voice because it goes from 90 to 123 power and gets stab, outweighing Dazzling Gleam, and both strike all opposing pokemon near the user in Doubles/Triples.
Though like mentioned, Gardevoir is slow so unless you use something to boost her speed and have already handled priority users, she'll  go down quick.

I personally love the entire Ralts line, Gallade included, and always have since Hoenn's glory days, so I can say I'm a smidge biased and would use her even with such slow speed, and Mega Evolution for Gardevoir was nice, but yes, the no-useful item cost of Mega Evolving is a drawback to all megas.
There's one other fun fact about Hyper Voice.  As a sound-based move, it ignores Substitute.  It's also negated by Soundproof, but no one runs Soundproof when the alternatives are almost always far better, even with the buffs to sound moves; they simply so rarely get a good distribution. 

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2508 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:13 pm »

So hyper voice, really good, just impossible to get if you don't have b2/w2. I don't have b2 or w2.

And looking at things, it looks like it can't be bred onto a ralts, If it could, I could get it via wonder trade or GTS, but it can't. This means I can't get it on a Gardevoir.

Dammit.

Or, am I mistaken and it can be bred onto a ralts?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:11:42 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:19 pm »

Re Hyper Beam, what about having Truant Durant with Entrainment on the opponent, before switching in a Hyper Boom user?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: December 29, 2013, 06:35:01 pm »

Re Hyper Beam, what about having Truant Durant with Entrainment on the opponent, before switching in a Hyper Boom user?

Could work, but I'd think that a human opponent would almost immediately switch out their Pokemon. Also, to be honest, I'd consider Truant Durant to be a one-trick pony. God forbid someone switch in a Pokemon who has Protect and Swords Dance/Nasty Plot in the same moveset. In fact, the human opponent could freely switch in an entirely different Pokemon on the free turn and be none the worse off for it. If I'm thinking about this the right way.
Also often called Boowells.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2511 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:38 pm »

The idea is the death beam is supposed to KO the target. Unless it involves ability shenanigans, why would they switch out a Pokemon they just switched in?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:16 pm »

It's a pretty good nuke. Since most nukes are just minmaxed glass cannons, of course it will have the glass cannon weaknesses.

I want a good Galvantula build.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: December 29, 2013, 07:21:31 pm »

Of course, I personally prefer Dazzling Gleam (seriously gardevoir's {and mega gardevoir's} skirt flies up to reveal a silver light emanating from her legs...yeah, she flashes us, lol) over any other fairy move, pixilated or not. But I only mentioned Hyper voice because it goes from 90 to 123 power and gets stab, outweighing Dazzling Gleam, and both strike all opposing pokemon near the user in Doubles/Triples.

There's one other fun fact about Hyper Voice.  As a sound-based move, it ignores Substitute.  It's also negated by Soundproof, but no one runs Soundproof when the alternatives are almost always far better, even with the buffs to sound moves; they simply so rarely get a good distribution.
Strange you say no one runs soundproof when the current Serebii Pokemon of the week article mentions a soundproof Mr.mime on baton pass teams and states Soundproof is irreplaceable as baton pass fears Perish Song. lol.

Anyways I didn't know sound moves pierced substitutes, nice, even so I still prefer dazzling gleam for animation and etc but i do agree Hyper voice on Mega Gardevior outclasses her Dazzling Gleam.'

But yeah as for my Gen5 Gardevoir, I actually caught her in a ralts swarm back in HG and I'm not sure of her IVs, so she may be terrible, but once i port her in, if the ball-from mother thing works on any/every ball to have existed, I'll be able to breed a decent replacement(though the replacement would be without Hyper Voice).
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »

It's a pretty good nuke. Since most nukes are just minmaxed glass cannons, of course it will have the glass cannon weaknesses.

I want a good Galvantula build.
The standard and most annoying Galvantula build involves sticky web, thunder, thunder wave, and something else to your liking. Then you can either go for defensive to put paralysis on as many things as possible and survive to deploy sticky web, or go offensive so it can do more damage.

There's really no reason to use Galvantula unless you are using sticky web.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: December 29, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »

91% accurate Thunders don't count?

On an unrelated note, I really like Starmie's pinwheel-of-death attack animation.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »

91% accurate Thunders don't count?

On an unrelated note, I really like Starmie's pinwheel-of-death attack animation.
If you really wanted a thunder user, you should just use a rain team with someone like... I dunno... Ampharos or Manectric. Galvantula's stats are so bad. His typing isn't anything to write home about either. It can definitely do it, but you won't get the best results.

But there are really only two real sticky web users in the game. Which is why people actually use it.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:00 pm »

don't play seasonal games

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalchristmascharade-73419163

get some popcorn, and strap yourself in for 128+ turns of Seasonal Suffering!
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: December 29, 2013, 11:23:52 pm »

But there are really only two real sticky web users in the game. Which is why people actually use it.

Smeargle and who?
Also often called Boowells.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: December 29, 2013, 11:27:36 pm »

don't play seasonal games

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalchristmascharade-73419163

get some popcorn, and strap yourself in for 128+ turns of Seasonal Suffering!
Oh my god...

------

Knirisk: Galvantula. I think in total there are like 5 pokemon that can actually use it, but the rest really suck. A lot of people really like sticky web though and they're actually more than happy to suicide lead Galvantula just to get it off. I don't really understand it myself.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 463