Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672831 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2012, 11:57:31 pm »

I think I'm gonna revive this one. I seriously thought I'd never get back into ("back into" in the sense that I play at all) the main series games, but the prospect of playing with a friend and a seriously cheap copy lured me into White 2.

I gotta say, I came in expecting the exact same feeling of sameyness I got from DP (the point where I pretty much stopped gaming seriously to go do other things.) And, granted, the underlying system is still exactly the same. But I will say that the series has changed quite a bit in the fifth generation, and I feel it's actually for the better.

PROS:

*At first I thought I'd hate the nearly "diminishing rewards" style EXP curve after being burned by how poorly it was handled in SMT: Strange Journey. But I actually like the game it encourages me to play. It's basically worthless to grind on level 2 weedles with a level 9 kakuna now. Instead, I end up seeking out areas with stronger wild beasts and, consequently, staying challenged by the game. It's a nice system.
*I've seen several people say they detest the graphics, but I think BW/2 really improved on them. The seasons look absolutely great, the Pokemon animations are so vivid and active and the cities are actually immersive to an extent. The overall Pokemon designs have not changed much in my eyes, but they've always seemed polished to me since the third generation.
*There's so much to do. I never feel like I'm lacking things to go check out or find. And, although the Dream World/Entralink features are fairly "kid-oriented," they do actually add something to the core game that was sorely missing which was a way to get a bunch of National Dex Poke's before even beating the game. Considering I could not give two flips about the new Unova critters, playing around with old early-generation ones like Pineco and Ponyta and such without having to finish the game first feels good.
*The combat has not been upgraded much from DP, but the addition of more helpful utility moves for strategic gamers has improved the core gameplay quite a bit. I of course adore the double battle system, and wild ones were always much fun.
*I also love how much effort the devs put into trying to break the mold. Your house doesn't have two floors in BW2, you start in a city instead of a tiny town, and the NPCs are (usually) fairly memorable.

CONS:

*The plot of BW1&2 just fell flat for me. I don't really care about N or Plasma, and even though they attempted to ad dress how the trainers in game are being "cruel" by basically dogfighting Pokemon, it all pretty much fell flat. Taking on the game world a little bit out of order was neat, though.
*The attack animations felt so slow for some reason. Maybe I'm just thinking about time as an adult more. I ended up turning them off entirely.
*The difficulty seemed pretty uneven throughout the game. It would go back and forth between why is this so hard it's Pokemon and I should really be doing homework instead of pressing A over and over.
*The whole thing with Pass Powers and their tiny boosts seemed awfully trivial to me. I seriously felt like I was playing some kind of hand-holding MMO during those minigames, and without any major point to it all.
*This is probably not a game-specific complaint, but how much faster my battery ran out along with how long communications between the Dream World and the DS took were annoying.

The game is still a great time-waster, though, and I'm glad it's handheld. I can pick it up and play for a session or so like I used to. I recommend BW2 to anyone who's considering getting one of them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:59:02 pm by freeformschooler »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »

Is arcanine a legendary?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »

...no
It's FEF, not FEOF

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2012, 10:56:55 pm »

Is arcanine a legendary?

It's a decent pokemon, but not a legendary, no. :P

On that note I must applaud Pokemon for having tons and tons of pokemon and having all of them be useful in certain situations. :)

Edit : You have to unlock easy mode?

GAME DESIGN H/7
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:58:55 pm by Korbac »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »

Is arcanine a legendary?

I had to google it but I laughed.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2012, 04:21:09 am »

That was kind of a trick question, he is a legendary according to the pokedex.      (look at what its species is listed as)

Although its species is the "legendary Pokémon", it is not normally considered a true legendary.  But in a episode of the anime, there is a plaque that shows it grouped with the 3 legendary birds. 
Listing them as the 4 legendaries of Kanto.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Legendary_Pokemon_engravings_EP002.png
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:38:39 am by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2012, 10:37:56 am »

They're certainly balls-hard enough to find and catch. And they do have really decent stats for Pokemon of a comparable level.
EDIT: My guess is that they're the basis for this guy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:45:09 am by woose1 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2013, 12:20:26 am »

I am also reviving this.  I decided to do some casual battles on Pokemon Online but I'm hindered by the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing.  I put together something resembling a RU-tier team using smogon.com.  I didn't want to use the popular guys, that's no fun.

So yeah.  I forgot what I was planning shortly after I planned it and threw this together in a few minutes.  Does anybody have some general advice for Battle Poking Men?  What I should do with my setup?  I like the general idea of Sandslash and Drapion even if I forgot how they went together in the middle of putting them together.

EDIT:  I switched Quilfish with whatever that pink Psychic Puncher guy is, forgot his name, and Scyther with Hitmonlee.  Sandslash is a spinner/stealth rocker now with Drapion as pursuit.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:24:28 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2013, 07:13:06 am »

I'm getting White 2 today, after not having played since Diamond. Is there any kind of online overworld like there was in D/P?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2013, 07:34:58 am »

Anyone heard of http://www.pokemonshowdown.com
or http://pokemon-online.eu check 'em out they're great simulators.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:07 pm »

I'm using Pokemon-Online.  When I woke up I had some kind of increased grasp of what I'm doing (Still trying to palm a beach ball, but my grasp is improving).  I'll post what I have later and maybe some kind soul can give me advice.
Shoes...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »

That was fun used the Pokemon-Online and just made a team of Pokemon I like
The Team is,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:43:13 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2013, 04:20:42 pm »

I think i've got something resembling a viable RU team!  So far I'm actually winning games!  Not a whole lot, but some. 

Drapion and Sandslash are the same, with sandslash usually leading to drop rocks and drapion there to pursuit trap ghosts for him.  Clefable and Slowking are also the same.  The next two are Hitmonlee with liechi berry, endure, and reversal.  Most of my wins are sweeps when Hitmonlee blocks a big attack and starts OHKOing everything.  I also have a Lilligant special sweeper who does an okay job but rarely clinches things.  I'm not quite game smart enough yet to regularly get setup sweepers going.

Any advice from people on how to make this team better?

Concerns:  I have some serious holes in my coverage, namely I can't do shit against dragons.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:24:53 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:31 am »

I'm getting White 2 today, after not having played since Diamond. Is there any kind of online overworld like there was in D/P?

Online overworld?  I am not sure as to what you are referencing. 

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2013, 10:41:40 am »

D/P had the Underground. Unless you count the Global Link site, I don't think it has one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 463