Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 673114 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Poll added!
« Reply #2310 on: November 23, 2013, 04:33:07 pm »

Oh yeah. Ghost types are used as what is known as "spin blockers". Gengar isn't too bad as it's really fragile and will die very easily to almost any regular STAB attack from anything. A more powerful (though uncommon) spin blocker is someone like Jellicent or even Aegislash who are both really, really tanky and can hurt you to hell and back. It's one of the reasons why I've adapted defog instead of rapid spin as my massive weakness to stealth rock is crippling. Also, the bird I use is dark type, so ghost types are a liability against it.

Pokemon Showdown is amazing. I'm always scared to start it up as I always just play for hours nonstop. The amount of strategy in play is quite astounding. Though I find there's a really shitty midpoint between 0 - 1200 rating and 1200 - 1500 rating. Between 1200 - 1500 people just use the same stupid mons like regular Pokemon XY mp battles. Talonflame, Aegislash, etc. At lower and higher levels people do way more fun stuff.

Defog also removes YOUR entry hazards, so to take maximum advantage of it you should design a team that works even without the need for entry hazard support. Basically instead of using one suicide mon who's just there to send out entry hazards, you could have someone who's there to tank status effects or maybe a healer or even another damage dealer.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: November 23, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »

The only issue with defogging your own team is that if the enemy team has any pokemon with poor accuracy moves / Hustle you've just made it that harder for yourself. Be VERY careful of defogging if the foe has a Hydreigon.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: November 23, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »

?

That doesn't make sense. Defog reduces the evasion of the enemy team, not you. It also removes ALL entry hazards in play, both yours and theirs. And even if it did (which it doesn't), you can just switch out and come back in to get rid of that debuff. Non-permanent debuffs such as stat changes and non-major status effects all cancel when you switch.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: November 23, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »

Oh, I thought it was targeted. Been out of the game for a while.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:34 am »

So earlier someone mentioned instead of mono-typing, to instead do theme-teams for gyms...I was thinking of starting a themed team based on Japanese mythology and folklore.
Ie: Drowzee is a baku, so could fit on the team, but so could Froslass, which seems to have lore in common with a Yuki-Onna, But Heracross simply being based on a real beetle* couldn't as heracross is not mythology/folklore based.
(* = though to be fair, this beetle is rather popular in japanese culture and that's the primary idea in this proposed team, but cultural mythology and folklore is the core essence here)

But I'm lost to if I wanna use this as my gym team, or stick with just fairy types.
I'll set both teams up anyways, but I figured I'd mention I may do this...as it could effect my team development time window.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:09 am »

Defog also removes YOUR entry hazards, so to take maximum advantage of it you should design a team that works even without the need for entry hazard support. Basically instead of using one suicide mon who's just there to send out entry hazards, you could have someone who's there to tank status effects or maybe a healer or even another damage dealer.

My Stealth Rock Mamoswine isn't a suicide lead and has performed well against dragon-types, but I found my Magic Bounce Espeon to be a liability and Rapid Spin Avalugg to be made redundant from mid-battle onwards. If I could replace them both with a Pokemon that learns Defog, I'd have more flexibility in my team.

I don't really like the look of Mandibuzz, so what do you think of Crobat or Archeops as Defogger? Also, Swellow apparently can get Scrappy so it can hit ghost-type with Normal and Flying mode. Does that make him a good Spin Blocker Blocker? :p
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:49:34 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: November 24, 2013, 05:50:50 am »

I should not that as i dont play competitvely, my breeding projects wont be as all-six IV focused as Y'all are but anyways...
My current Breeding projects:
Oyuki the cursed body Frolass - has the right nature, gender and ability as of now, but only one IV is decent and it's not maximum, and two IVs are horrible, one being HP, can't have that. Concept is the Yuki-Onna legends so she won't be competitively useful but she'd be a bit of menace in her own right in casual Friends vrs Friends play.
Sugarush the Slurpuff - Still catching wild females for right nature to pass. purely a gimmick pokemon.
& Annoyance the flygon - this is one of my actual all-IVs breeding projects: built around making you wish it never existed because it fits its name very well.

So far only those three are being focused on. but i have more planned...

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:01 am »

Sugarush the Slurpuff - Still catching wild females for right nature to pass. purely a gimmick pokemon.

You could either stick a correct-natured Synchroniser at the front of your party (50% chance of the caught pokemon sharing the Synchroniser's nature), or check through your boxes to see if you have a correct-natured male in the same egg group; Slurpuff is in the Fairy group, so the likes of Marill, Pikachu, Roselia, etc. will breed with it quite happily. Just stick an Everstone on the male with the right nature, and you should get some Slurpuffs out with also the right nature.

Quite often the breeding stages I go through are egg moves, nature, and only once I've got those set do I worry about IVs - which is why I want to get 6IV male pokemon, so that they can be used to jump-start the process of IV breeding. The first two bits are the ones that require the planning.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: November 24, 2013, 06:45:35 am »

You could either stick a correct-natured Synchroniser at the front of your party (50% chance of the caught pokemon sharing the Synchroniser's nature), or check through your boxes to see if you have a correct-natured male in the same egg group; Slurpuff is in the Fairy group, so the likes of Marill, Pikachu, Roselia, etc. will breed with it quite happily. Just stick an Everstone on the male with the right nature, and you should get some Slurpuffs out with also the right nature.

Quite often the breeding stages I go through are egg moves, nature, and only once I've got those set do I worry about IVs - which is why I want to get 6IV male pokemon, so that they can be used to jump-start the process of IV breeding. The first two bits are the ones that require the planning.
When did everstone work on passing male parent natures? I was always told it only works on female parents natures and it only 50% chance.
And i do have the synchronize ralts with right nature, but believe it or not out of 20 catches none have had the ideal nature, and yes my proper nature synchro ralts was leading, I've this issue in the fs too...

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:45 am »

When did everstone work on passing male parent natures? I was always told it only works on female parents natures and it only 50% chance.
And i do have the synchronize ralts with right nature, but believe it or not out of 20 catches none have had the ideal nature, and yes my proper nature synchro ralts was leading, I've this issue in the fs too...

I actually had to go back and check, but according to Serebii it changed back in HG/SS, so halfway through Gen 4; then in Black 2/White 2 it was changed to guarantee the nature rather than being a 50% chance (since I missed B2/W2 this change was new to me).

If your synchroniser isn't doing what it needs to, it may be better to breed the nature on if you can.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: November 24, 2013, 08:31:22 am »

the new crit mechanics are fun as hell. I've been running a baton pass team, Combusken baton passing speed and focus energy unto sniper kingrda with razor claw.

after a few tries, I decided to nickname Kindra xXx360nOsCoPexXx, just to fuck with people. the best part is that crits ignore stat drops, so everything that doesn't resist dragon just gets meteored to bits
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: November 24, 2013, 09:11:57 am »

the new crit mechanics are fun as hell. I've been running a baton pass team, Combusken baton passing speed and focus energy unto sniper kingrda with razor claw.

after a few tries, I decided to nickname Kindra xXx360nOsCoPexXx, just to fuck with people. the best part is that crits ignore stat drops, so everything that doesn't resist dragon just gets meteored to bits

Crits ignore stat drops? I thought they just ignored Defense/Sp. Def boosts.
Also often called Boowells.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: November 24, 2013, 09:18:02 am »

as far as I can tell, the damage I deal stays consistent, even at -6 special attack
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:53 am »

as far as I can tell, the damage I deal stays consistent, even at -6 special attack

What about self-inflicted stat drops like from Draco Meteor?
Also often called Boowells.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: November 24, 2013, 09:42:00 am »

that's the stat drop I meant. How else would I get to -6 special attack?

I think critical hits ignore all stat changes that are in any way lowering the incoming damage
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 463