Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return of Wrestlers?  (Read 3968 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Return of Wrestlers?
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »

Quote from: Toady One The Great
I got my first reaction moment today. I was in a fistfight with a goblin thug that was harassing the town, and due to my fighting/situational awareness/wrestling skills, I was able to choose the option of catching a goblin's incoming punch with my left hand, a move which was then turned into a wrist lock. We'll probably make it harder to initiate wrestling from scratch, so that just jumping in and grabbing people will be hard to do without inviting a reaction against you. All in all, the rewrite is going a little slower than I'd like, but I'm continuing along with it.
Could it be such that a very agile master wrestlers could become the demon of your fortress gate once again?  Nevermind axelords, if a wrestlers can block attacks, apply locks, and shatter limbs like that then goblins don't stand a chance!

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Re: Return of Wrestlers?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »

Sounds good! ^.^
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »

Yes, but wrestling wont be as easy anymore. It'll be harder to initiate the grapple.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:13:29 pm »

Yes, but wrestling wont be as easy anymore. It'll be harder to initiate the grapple.
So we will outfit our wrestlers in layers and layers of adamantine armor and clothing and let them be the shock troopers to meet the enemy charge and break their momentum as the speardwarves and axedwarves move in to mop up?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

It's hard to hit someone in the head with a sock so hard it pierces their skull but it happens so often it rarely bares noting. Difficulty means very little to a well trained dwarf.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »

It's hard to hit someone in the head with a sock so hard it pierces their skull but it happens so often it rarely bares noting. Difficulty means very little to a well trained dwarf.
Now we need a sock corps.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:21:02 pm »

I think this is in regards to Adventure mode. I'm not if this would affect Dwarf Mode wrestlers...
Feeling down? Click Here!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »

I think this is in regards to Adventure mode. I'm not if this would affect Dwarf Mode wrestlers...

Combat system is basically the same in both modes, except that you don't get to choose the exact move in fortress mode, the game chooses for you. And it mostly makes decent choices based on the odds. If wrestlers are capable of performing these maneuvers in adventure mode,  they will be capable of doing so in fortress mode.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 04:38:37 pm »

So we will outfit our wrestlers in layers and layers of adamantine armor and clothing and let them be the shock troopers to meet the enemy charge and break their momentum as the speardwarves and axedwarves move in to mop up?

Robes and sandals, Urist McGrasshopper.

I really hope Toady leaves some aspects of this type of grappling in, even if it means you have to be attacked first.  I want my fortress guard to be a bunch of drunken, psychotic Bruce Lees.  Catching someone's arm mid-punch and grappling it into a hold sounds like Aikido than wrestling.

Goblin 1: "What's 'ee doin' just sittin' there and smilin' fer?"
Goblin 2: "'oo cares.  Gerupp there an' stab 'im inna face."

Goblin 1 charges the dwarf sitting at the gate, calmly drinking his booze.

fwap! punch! crunch! punch! kick! aiieeee! snap!

Goblin 2 tries to saunter away before he is noticed by the short, drunken, still-smiling Dwarf-Fu expert now standing above his dead companion.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »

If this extends to reactions allowing you to catch an opponent's weapon, I'll be doubly excited.

And if our legendary wrestler dwarves can pluck arrows out of the air like grapes... well, I think I might just have to sit down for a while.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »

More likely they'll be hit in the face and die horribly, as arrows tend to do to dwarves. :P

But I like this. I haven't ever bothered with wrestlers since I started DF after the wrestler nerf.

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 07:57:52 pm »

I miss the days of wrestlers being absolutely overpowered against undead.

Having two or three wrestlers wreck swarms of undead horses by pulling of their heads was good times for me.
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:45 am »

Recruit spam. Train everyone in the military as wrestlers. Cheap, effective and painful.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 07:42:00 am »

Just keep in mind that goblins have wrestlers, too...
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 10:24:20 am »

Just keep in mind that goblins have wrestlers, too...
Painful for a reason.