Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Plant Oil As Lubricant  (Read 7870 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Oil As Lubricant
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 09:54:55 pm »

The OP. ZZ's is fine, since it's just like setting a trap.

Actually It would be neat naturally occurring contaminants prevented climbing. You can't easily climb a wall that's covered in horrid ooze.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:01:07 pm by King Mir »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »

Depends on how viscous and sticky it is...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »

Does it? I imagine a cliff covered in honey would still be harder to climb than a dry cliff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:35 am »

I'd imagine that a cliff covered in glue would be easier. Unless you got stuck, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »

I seem to remember something about lubricants Space Station 13 - some people used lubricants to make the passage to the escape pods slippery so when it came to evacuation time, everyone slipped up on their way to the escape pods. I haven't played Space Station 13, but I've read about it.

This could be applied in Dwarf Fortress - have a lubricated hallway so when the goblins charge in on mounts, they slip up.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

I'd imagine that a cliff covered in glue would be easier. Unless you got stuck, of course.
I don't. Most glues aren't very sticky until they harden, and anyway it's putting a liquid coating on your grip. The best conditions for climbing are dry, and covered in chalk.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:24 pm »

I don't. Most glues aren't very sticky until they harden, and anyway it's putting a liquid coating on your grip. The best conditions for climbing are dry, and covered in chalk.
I'd imagine a cliff covered in something viscous and sticky would be easier to climb,
Sig

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

How easy it is to climb is determined most by the quality of holds. A nice, dry outcropping is the easiest to grab on to. An outcropping covered in honey is worse, it puts a layer between you and the rock, and being sticky is absolutely no help, since it's nowhere near sticky enough to hold you up. Being viscous might mean you get a marginal amount of extra reaction time when your grip fails, but it also slows your ability to move your arm or leg to another hold quickly.

If that were not the case, rock climbers might cover their hands in something sticky instead of chalk.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2012, 08:31:04 pm »

Did I ever say honey?
Sig

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »

You said sticky and viscus, honey qualifies. Molasses isn't any better, if you think it's more to your point.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 07:19:09 am »

I don't know how sticky or viscous it needs to be, but I'd imagine that, at a minimum, some unpleasant procedurally generated stuff would be. In any case, honey would be better than oil, no? Therefore, it makes sense to have a progression of "Severely hurts your clinging abilities" to "Slightly impairs your clinging abilities" to "Helps you cling."
Sig

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 11:45:28 am »

I don't know how sticky or viscous it needs to be, but I'd imagine that, at a minimum, some unpleasant procedurally generated stuff would be. In any case, honey would be better than oil, no? Therefore, it makes sense to have a progression of "Severely hurts your clinging abilities" to "Slightly impairs your clinging abilities" to "Helps you cling."
Try thinking about the ration of adhesive-covered surface to body mass - you'd need some damn good glue to stick to the wall. That's why a gecko can run up a window, but you won't be dooing that anytime soon.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »

Try thinking about the ration of adhesive-covered surface to body mass - you'd need some damn good glue to stick to the wall. That's why a gecko can run up a window, but you won't be dooing that anytime soon.
Actually, geckos walk on walls due to various electromagnetic forces in the ends of microscopic hairs called setae. These are capable of holding humans, if you made enough artificial setae.
Sig

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:03 am »

Helgoland made a fine point- climbers use chalk or gloves to improve thier grip, not honey. Humanoids don't have enough surface area in our <Grasp> for the increase in cohesion from a glue like substance to be worth the decrease in precision. ANy stickiness in our hands must be overcome when we remove our hand from the handhold; the friction between our hands and the handholds is enough to hold use to the wall, then there isn't much advantage to increasing it. If a liquid is viscous enough not to impede ones grip, it must not move in the time it takes to find the next handhold, in which case it would be nearly solid, or thin enough that you can grip the rock itself, in which case it is nothing but a hinderance, since it's the rock you are griping and the liquid can not apply enough reaction force to significantly reduce your chances of falling.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2012, 06:26:30 pm »

Actually, geckos walk on walls due to various electromagnetic forces in the ends of microscopic hairs called setae. These are capable of holding humans, if you made enough artificial setae.
Yeah, they aren't actually using glue - but the same principle applies: The force/surface ratio is way too high with humans.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6