Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Plant Oil As Lubricant  (Read 7877 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant Oil As Lubricant
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

I was just thinking that, since we have minecarts now, the dwarves should be a le to use plant oils to lubricate the wheels/ball bearings on the carts. If the dwarves neglect to regularly oil the wheels, the carts would slow down, create sparks (which can light things on fire), or derail the carts.

P.S.- Sorry about the topic name. I just wanted something that would make people go, "What's this idiot want now?" and then, click on it.

I apologize for such a stupid idea. :(

EDIT- I changed the thread name.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:45:11 pm by DwarfMeister »

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WD40
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:46 pm »

I was just thinking that, since we have minecarts now, the dwarves should be able to use plant oils to lubricate the wheels/ball bearings on the carts. If the dwarves neglect to regularly oil the wheels, the carts would slow down, create sparks (which can light things on fire), or derail the carts.

P.S.- Sorry about the topic name. I just wanted something that would make people go, "What's this idiot want now?" and then, click on it.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:51 pm »

I was just thinking that, since we have minecarts now, the dwarves should be able to use plant oils to lubricate the wheels/ball bearings on the carts. If the dwarves neglect to regularly oil the wheels, the carts would slow down, create sparks (which can light things on fire), or derail the carts.

Oops!!! I quoted my own thread!!! :(

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:22 pm »

You could apply this idea to gears too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

You could apply this idea to gears too.

I overlooked that one.

Do I have your vote?

And does the topic name "WD40" keep people from clicking on it? Or are they too busy to read threads at the moment? Alternative thread names are welcome. I've already thought of "Lubricant", but knowing me, I would turn it into something of a sexual nature and I didn't want to go that route. :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »

Heh. I looked at the thread name, looked at the author, and prayed that this idea wasn't as stupid as it sounds. That said, I think that there are people who would be driven away by the stupid title, so I'd advise changing it to something like "Oil as lubricant."

I lik this idea. The only problem is, the oil would have to be applied to minecart tracks. Since the dwarf would probably need to be on, or at least adjacent to, the tracks, accidents could occur. (Since oil is flammable, magma shotguns and such could turn those into !!accidents!!.)

EDIT: For those just arriving, I have put a list of lubricants and lubricans here.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:21:57 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jimj316

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:39:47 pm »

Don't worry about how many people do/don't click on your thread (I saw that you locked one of your other suggestion threads because of low activity), it doesn't really matter. I know how annoying it is to post a thread that 1000 people view and no-one replies to, but we all have to live with that, not just you :D

In reply to your actual idea, I think that while it is very good, it would definitely add an extra challenge to the area of constructing mechanisms, I'm not really sure that more challenge is needed there. If some aspect of that emerged as being overpowered, this would be a fine way of balancing it, but it would need work to avoid becoming something tedious that stops   you from using machines altogether. This game has enough micromanagement as it is.

If I remember correctly, a future update ("moving fortresses") is going to focus almost entirely on expanding the machines and devices in the game. Challenges like this one would be better to be added at that time, rather than adding things to a system which is very likely to be overhauled.

In summary; good idea, but not really needed yet.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:05 pm »

Heh. I looked at the thread name, looked at the author, and prayed that this idea wasn't as stupid as it sounds. That said, I think that there are people who would be driven away by the stupid title, so I'd advise changing it to something like "Oil as lubricant."

I lik this idea. The only problem is, the oil would have to be applied to minecart tracks. Since the dwarf would probably need to be on, or at least adjacent to, the tracks, accidents could occur. (Since oil is flammable, magma shotguns and such could turn those into !!accidents!!.)

Actually.. I'll change it to "Plant Oil As Lubricant".

Anyway, I laughed at the idea of a runaway minecart plowing into a dwarf while he is lubing up the tracks. Top that off with everything catching fire and you have a true DF moment!!! :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Oil As Lubricant
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

Indeed. Don't transport magma on oiled tracks.

There's no reason that the current system couldn't lead to the future one, at least in bits and pieces. For instance, being able to mark certain kinds of liquids as lubricants in the raws, and being able to apply them to surfaces (reducing friction, and therefore velocity loss for minecarts, flying creatures, etc) seems like something that would both allow this suggestion and be able to fit into the future system fairly well.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 03:28:22 pm »

Using gnomeblight as lubricant. That'll teach those thieves for stealing my valuable supplies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »

Gnome thieves a big issue for you?
Sig

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »

Somehow , I like the old thread name more.

Ewwwww.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »

Somehow , I like the old thread name more.

Ewwwww.

I wasn't getting as many replies, so I changed it. Sorry. :(

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »

Using gnomeblight as lubricant. That'll teach those thieves for stealing my valuable supplies.

What about the workers who apply the lubricant in the first place?

Perhaps we can use it elsewhere? I suggest using it to preserve dead bodies. After all, wouldn't it be cool to have the real corpse of your legendary Swordsdwarf standing on the kitchen table, ready to slay his enemies? Or preserve the corpse of a dead goblin warrior and stick it outside to remind everyone not to mess with you?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »

Gnome thieves a big issue for you?
Nah, just principle. They are not allowed to touch my booze. Mine. My precious Booze.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6