Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rocks, boulders, blocks and crafting..?  (Read 9351 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks, boulders, blocks and crafting..?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:42 am »

stone crafts were always lame anyway.

My legendary stone crafter put out 1-3 crafts per boulder just now when I ran a test, do lower skills produce less more often?

Pretty sure this is related to the exact crafting job he's doing.  "crafts" make one item, but "mugs" or other crafting jobs create more items of lesser value.  I don't think it is chance-based and related to skills.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »

I sell silver trap components. A skilled weaponsmith is something your fortress needs anyways, and you only need a few to buy everything you need. It really cuts down on item clutter and hauling jobs.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »

I've done stone crafts (random) due to the simplicity: need a craftshop anyway, have stone anyway, might as well clear the clutter in such a way as to make some money/get stuff we need.  With the changes in stone drops, however, it can still work but you can't just blindly have your craftsdwarf eat up all your available non-economic stone making crafts any more or you will run out of blocks or stone tables/doors/etc.

The metal/clay/glass industries are a bit more to set up, but fill the gap nicely.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »

cratfs are variable regardless. Sometimes I'll get 3 metal ones or just one, same goes for bone crafts and stone ones when I make them. Either way, I don't make them anymore, even though I feel a bit of emptiness at not clearing out the place via stonecrafters. The droprates also suck when you have alot of legendary stonecrafters and you can't let them ply thier trade because it's detrimental to construction materials and masonry.

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »

i'm a fan of exporting lavishly prepared food. my stonecrafter only makes stone pots and i export food in those. i always request all of the animal from the mountainhomes liaison and butcher them all. bonecrafter will make arrows from the bones, totems from the skulls, and crafts from the other parts. cook will cook everything else to export back. between the bone crafts and meals, i can buy out all the caravans and then some. it's not as profitable as say glass trap components, but food require almost no set up and i like to save the trap component to place EVERYWHERE in my fortress.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »

mugs are still the best thing to sell... in my episode 5 (there are like 3 episode fives due to video size) i spend about 10 minutes selecting mugs to sell and i still had extra after the traders left
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »

cratfs are variable regardless. Sometimes I'll get 3 metal ones or just one, same goes for bone crafts and stone ones when I make them. Either way, I don't make them anymore, even though I feel a bit of emptiness at not clearing out the place via stonecrafters. The droprates also suck when you have alot of legendary stonecrafters and you can't let them ply thier trade because it's detrimental to construction materials and masonry.

As far as I know it's not completely random: it's based on skill. The higher the skill level the more they'll make up to a max of three. I've never seen a legendary stonecrafter/metalcrafter etc. not make three at a time. Mugs are alwasy made in threes, regardless of skill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »

I was referring to crafts, not mugs. I've always got a variable of 1-3. But then I can't trust stonecrafters anymore.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »

As far as I've seen the purpose of stone crafts was never really to get rich it was to get all that stone off the floor. I do mod the game to allow crafting with blocks to combat the sudden scarcity of stone furniture. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

As far as I've seen the purpose of stone crafts was never really to get rich it was to get all that stone off the floor. I do mod the game to allow crafting with blocks to combat the sudden scarcity of stone furniture. 

You'd think that would have been considered as an offset...
 Cause it does seem to make stonecrafting rather redundant otherwise since the stone is mor euseful as blocks that as crafts now.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »

I generally produce so many gems I just sell off the cheap ones to get what I want... I also have a stockpile of platinum bars right next to the trade depot, cause I don't see a better use for them other than perhaps some constructions
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »

Actually a few platinum goblets can go a long way the first year or two. Gold ones barring that.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »

Actually a few platinum goblets can go a long way the first year or two. Gold ones barring that.
Yeah, In terms of trading, I go hugely valuable crafts buy all the essentials. Actually, come to think of it, a Single dwarf could live of traders entirely alone, digging things out, smelting them, Building his home. Actually, even though he would be slower, it wouldn't matter cause hes only waiting for a caravan, and hes bulding for one. Since hes alone, he wouldnt attract much in the way of thieves, at least for a while, and he certainly wont get sieged. Make him a militarily skilled dwarf and he could hold it indefinetly. He might even Become the capital!

Back on topic, I use stone crats to get rid of the oceans of stone I have. Their easy enough, And they keep people busy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 06:26:35 am »

Yeah, In terms of trading, I go hugely valuable crafts buy all the essentials. Actually, come to think of it, a Single dwarf could live of traders entirely alone, digging things out, smelting them, Building his home. Actually, even though he would be slower, it wouldn't matter cause hes only waiting for a caravan, and hes bulding for one. Since hes alone, he wouldnt attract much in the way of thieves, at least for a while, and he certainly wont get sieged. Make him a militarily skilled dwarf and he could hold it indefinetly. He might even Become the capital!

Back on topic, I use stone crats to get rid of the oceans of stone I have. Their easy enough, And they keep people busy.
I wouldn't bother making him military, even if he was a badass if he killed 1000 goblins and got stabbed in the foot he would die of thirst because he would wait for his imaginary friends to treat his injuries.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 06:29:23 am »

I've seen dwarves continue working in spite of injuries. Until a hospital was set up. They then dropped what they were doing and went to get that torn fat on thier leg looked at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3