Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: King of the Mafia Continued: Game Over  (Read 37452 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia Continued: Round 1 - Day 1
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26:13 am »

Book:  What made you vote Native instead of Tiruin?

Native:
Toaster: That someone's role usually has very little bearing on whether or not they're scum.

That's it?  You learned something that's essentially in the rules?

Tiruin:
Lurking is pathetic. That is my stand on any lurking tactic, whether town or scum. If I was bruce wayne, I would...what is meant by "BUDDY1"? Placeholder?

Any role that mentions BUDDY1 means it is a randomly selected other player.

Tiruin:  Have you read the first thread of this game?  Do any of the players here intimidate you?
Yep! Though I have to admit, the variance in roles were slightly confusing then due to my newness.

And, nope! Nobody intimidates me. What does intimidation have to do with Mafia, and how would one be intimidated by such?

That's a very good question.  Since Mafia is a mind game as well as being one of logic and reason, intimidation is a big thing, especially for certain players (the host of this game jumping to mind.)  As town, intimidating scum is a great way to make them break and make mistakes.  As scum, it's useful for cowing weak-willed town players into either going along with whatever intentionally flawed plan you propose or making people afraid to attack you (Example: any complaint of an Army of Jimbots.)

If you saw someone attempting to intimidate someone in one of the above ways, would you become suspicious of them?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05:46 am »

Native:
That's it?  You learned something that's essentially in the rules?

That's the only one I could think of off the top of my head, and it's one that a lot of people seem to forget with disconcerting regularity.

PFP
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »

It really is hard to pick, but:  Turncoat.
Why? We know how many scum there are - one.

Tiruin, why are you always scum?
Tell that to the mods I play under. I'm not scum this time though.

Urist I. Why the loaded question here? Or do you only remember the games I played that I was scum in?
I can think of five games you were scum in, and can't remember any games you were town in. In addition, that was quite the overreaction to a barely-serious RVS question. My vote stays for now.

NativeForeigner: Please come play the game. Do you think lurking is a viable tactic for the scum in this game type? If you had a "Bruce Wayne" type role, would you try to get your buddy lynched so you could become Batman? If you were a town vig type, how would you choose your target? How would this change if your NK was one-shot?

Tiruin: please answer the same questions I asked Native above.
Lurking is pathetic. That is my stand on any lurking tactic, whether town or scum. If I was bruce wayne, I would...what is meant by "BUDDY1"? Placeholder?

Regardless, and acting on this idea, I wouldn't get my buddy lynched unless he is scum and if I knew he was town, I won't get him lynched. Powers don't win games, statements and words do. Besides, Bruce Wayne is a good guy!  :P
You didn't answer the last two questions.

That post was PFP? Impressive.

Native:
In a game with only eight people, though,
Seven.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »

PFP

NF: Mind throwing a vote at someone to confirm that no-vote claim?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »

Native:
In a game with only eight people, though,
Seven.

I thought there were seven before I somehow got in.

NF: Mind throwing a vote at someone to confirm that no-vote claim?

Right, didn't think of that. Hapah. Vote count, please.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »

To clear up the player count confusion, I was going to be in this round until someone messed something up.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:30 pm »

Normally, I would agree with you. In this game, though, people may be my friends today and enemies tomorrow, if either of us becomes KM. Knowing some of who does what when you step into the KM shoes would be useful information.
But... you don't get to choose your role again later.  Everyone already chose their role before the game started.  Asking questions about that won't help you know how they'll behave as KM.

You are right, though, I'm putting the cart before the horse. Need to get KM killed. I don't think it's you (Leaf) or Toaster. No read yet on Tir and Native, obviously. Urist seems slightly more likely than Book, but it's really nothing more than a gut feeling at this point.
Then follow that gut feeling.  Do something about it.

I gather the game is going to be one huge clusterfuck of bullets and face-melting come night?
What makes you think there's going to be a night?

But we don't know their role.  Let's say you claimed Unlynchable Death Arsonist (a role I once actually received from Xylbot) and I was a turncoat.  I take the census and the mafia is an Unlynchable Death Arsonist.  Bam.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

Hapah: Why don't you think either Toaster or Leaf is king?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »

UI (Newday I guess? I am not a double-voter.)
It really is hard to pick, but:  Turncoat.

Tiruin, why are you always scum?
Tell that to the mods I play under. I'm not scum this time though.

Urist I. Why the loaded question here? Or do you only remember the games I played that I was scum in?
I can think of five games you were scum in, and can't remember any games you were town in. In addition, that was quite the overreaction to a barely-serious RVS question. My vote stays for now.
So on your first, yes. One scum, but it would be nice knowing the complete role and telling it out, especially if it nearly matches/completely matches their role in roleclaim. Also, it is an exact variable. So once the turncoat activates his power, Mafia is known.

On the second, you mean the five games I named in the last game I was scum? You seriously don't remember the first game I played with you? The one about the president being kidnapped by ninjas and I was the D1 lynch-for-personal-stupidity? Anyway, you forgot to answer the first question line.

And, bro, understand that I question everything even when I know that question was easily answerable.

NativeForeigner: Please come play the game. Do you think lurking is a viable tactic for the scum in this game type? If you had a "Bruce Wayne" type role, would you try to get your buddy lynched so you could become Batman? If you were a town vig type, how would you choose your target? How would this change if your NK was one-shot?

Tiruin: please answer the same questions I asked Native above.

Regardless, and acting on this idea, I wouldn't get my buddy lynched unless he is scum and if I knew he was town, I won't get him lynched. Powers don't win games, statements and words do. Besides, Bruce Wayne is a good guy!  :P
You didn't answer the last two questions.

That post was PFP? Impressive.
I type fast. Thanks for that compliment.

If I was a town vig (guessing in general, not pertaining to a specific day), I'd pick my target on who seems scummiest who wasn't lynched, or someone who needs a replacement who did nothing at all for the whole day. Would help activity.

If one-shot, I would withhold it until later in the days (preferably LYLO or until massclaim) as IMO, it is easier to spot who is lying when evidence is racked up.

Toaster
Tiruin:  Have you read the first thread of this game?  Do any of the players here intimidate you?
[...]
And, nope! Nobody intimidates me. What does intimidation have to do with Mafia, and how would one be intimidated by such?

That's a very good question.  Since Mafia is a mind game as well as being one of logic and reason, intimidation is a big thing, especially for certain players (the host of this game jumping to mind.)  As town, intimidating scum is a great way to make them break and make mistakes.  As scum, it's useful for cowing weak-willed town players into either going along with whatever intentionally flawed plan you propose or making people afraid to attack you (Example: any complaint of an Army of Jimbots.)

If you saw someone attempting to intimidate someone in one of the above ways, would you become suspicious of them?

Suspicious, yes - questioning would follow in whatever way related to that event as it would be hard to trust anyone without prodding for more statements.

Leafsnail
I gather the game is going to be one huge clusterfuck of bullets and face-melting come night?
Isn't this a natural Mafia, other than the choose-your-own-role thing?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia Continued - Round 1: Sign-Ups
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 06:53:04 pm »

Remember to cast your vote!

Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris - Tiruin,
Leafsnail -
Tiruin - Urist Imiknorris,
Toaster -
Bookthras -
Hapah - Leafsnail, Toaster,
NativeForeigner - Hapah, Bookthras,

Not Voting - NativeForeigner,

4 To Hammer. Day Ends Friday 9 PM Central.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »

Mod: Does 'not voting' mean you haven't cast your vote, or you cannot vote even when it was cast?

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

I'm not sure he can answer that without outright confirming my non-votingness.

For clarity:

Vote Hapah

Mod: Votecount, please.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:55 pm »

Mod: Does 'not voting' mean you haven't cast your vote, or you cannot vote even when it was cast?
Not voting is what votes are doing if they are currently not voting someone. Though, this can be the result of someone having no vote.

I'm not sure he can answer that without outright confirming my non-votingness.

For clarity:

Vote Hapah

Mod: Votecount, please.

Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris - Tiruin,
Leafsnail -
Tiruin - Urist Imiknorris,
Toaster -
Bookthras -
Hapah - Leafsnail, Toaster,
NativeForeigner - Hapah, Bookthras,

Not Voting - NativeForeigner,

4 To Hammer. Day Ends Friday 9 PM Central.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

So on your first, yes. One scum, but it would be nice knowing the complete role and telling it out, especially if it nearly matches/completely matches their role in roleclaim. Also, it is an exact variable. So once the turncoat activates his power, Mafia is known.
Ah, I see what's wrong here - I'm assuming scum would fakeclaim.

On the second, you mean the five games I named in the last game I was scum?
I remember you naming four, only remember two of them (RL4 and Cybrid 3), remembered that you didn't name Supernatural 5 or BYOP 2 (the latter for obvious reason), and then added Cybrid 5.

You seriously don't remember the first game I played with you? The one about the president being kidnapped by ninjas and I was the D1 lynch-for-personal-stupidity?
I did indeed forget Bad Dudes Mafia. I don't remember much of that game.

Anyway, you forgot to answer the first question line.
As I said, it was barely serious. I recall you being scum in a disproportionately high number of games, and figured it was as good a way as any to pick an RVS vote.

Book: (derp)
Book: I wish.
Was your wish granted? If you could choose, would you have preferred to be scum on round one? Why? If your role had the one-shot day kill you hoped for, would you use it as town, or would you try to save it at all costs for when you ended up rolling scum?
-No.
-Yes, so I could own you all faster.
-Considering the high death rate of KotM, I'd be open to using it as town.

Hapah:
UI: Apologies. I only see one question from you. I believe it's hard to be lurking, active or otherwise, three hours into a game. This is what I get for posting before bed, apparently.
But activelurking isn't lurking, it's doing useless shit to pretend you're contributing. This is a point you've been ignoring. Why?

And it's not only scum that lie, y'know. Goes double for this format. Everyone is (probably) going to be playing it close to the vest, because people will go from their town role to King Mafia, right? You need to tease out who is answering frankly, who is giving a sounds-good-but-probably-wrong answer, and who is being evasive.
The previously-observed death rate tends to hamper one's chance of becoming King Mafia before dying. Additionally, how does the potential of becoming King Mafia act as an incentive to lie about one's choice of role?

Hmmm... So Native's voteless and the vote's tied... Hapah.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

Quote from: NF
Why don't you think either Toaster or Leaf is king?
Leaf is asking some pretty cutting questions and pressing me while I'm on the defensive. Could be faking it, I guess, but I don't think that's the case. Toaster's answer rung true, and I've got no reason to suspect him. UI seems more like a hanger-on in his questions, and there's something about Book that I can't quite put my finger on. And thanks for the vote confirmation.

Quote from: Leaf
Plan for the worst and you'll seldom go wrong.

Quote from: UI
But activelurking isn't lurking, it's doing useless shit to pretend you're contributing. This is a point you've been ignoring. Why?
You're splitting hairs, UI. Activelurking and lurking get you to the same place (no new real information), the active flavor just has some makeup on. And I will continue to maintain that I wasn't doing either, AND that saying someone is lurking, active or otherwise, so soon into a game is premature. Got me talking though, I'll give you that.

I think we will see plenty of people claiming parts of their role, but holding other parts back. I wouldn't want to claim something that should give me predictable results come night (Invest, Tracking, etc).

Sorry that I can't post more, but we shut down my office today, and I have to move four rooms of stuff in my freaking Cobalt. I'm wiped out.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15