Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: King of the Mafia Continued: Game Over  (Read 37478 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia Continued: Round 1 - Day 1
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:44 am »

Webadict is obviously scum.

Hapah:  Because they're fun and unexpected.  Dirty Bomber really sets the game on its head (but not as bad as Anarchist which just made everything dumb.)

One thing jumped out at me, Hapah:  He accused you of activelurking, not regular lurking, yet you got defensive over the type of lurking where you don't post.  Why?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

PFP

I think it's premature to say that anyone is doing lurking of any variety when the game is so young. I don't think Tir and Native have even posted yet, but I'm not going to jump on them for lurking. And there is information that I hope to gather from my questions besides the answers given, yes. But I will let those questions be answered before I show my hand, if you don't mind.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »

Because neither of them have asked useless questions in an attempt to look like they're doing something.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 02:16:11 pm »

PFP

I think it's premature to say that anyone is doing lurking of any variety when the game is so young. I don't think Tir and Native have even posted yet, but I'm not going to jump on them for lurking. And there is information that I hope to gather from my questions besides the answers given, yes. But I will let those questions be answered before I show my hand, if you don't mind.

This is not deflection at all.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »

Book: I wish.

Why are you still voting Toaster?

Leafsnail:
Thing from Beyond was always a favourite of mine, but it seems to be absent from the list.
What does/did that do?

Hapah: Why are you dismissing an accusation just because it contains the string "lurking"? Not all lurking is time-based. Why did you ignore that when it was pointed out?

Still voting Tiruin.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »

Hapah for today too.

Leafsnail:
Thing from Beyond was always a favourite of mine, but it seems to be absent from the list.
What does/did that do?
It had, iirc, a one-shot of 4 different types of kills: poison, eradicate, superkill and kill (possibly something more exciting than kill).  Notable for being able to cause 2 virtually unavoidable deaths at once, breaking lylo.  Recurring Nightmare is probably still preferable in a game where SKs have a mafiakill though.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 05:29:02 pm »

Oh goody, I'm popular.

Toaster: It wasn't meant as a deflection, just an observation. Pressuring me instead does make sense, it's hard to get answers out of someone who isn't here. I'll agree that I'm handling this whole affair poorly, though.

Leaf:God forbid I try to get answers in a way you don't agree with. I like subtlety. Asking everyone "Are you scum?" doesn't get anywhere, imo. You can glean a lot of information from seemingly innocent questions. As an example, the question to Toaster.  It looks innocent, Toaster's answer looks innocent, and if you dig it does ring true: The only role I can see in the last KotM that Toaster played that looked not-very-interesting was Ascetic Cop. The rest of his visible roles were interesting (Batman, Dirty Bomber, One-Shot Forensics Expert Lesser Robot {wtf?}), even if they don't appear overly powerful (Green Goo. I guess he was the original goo?). I got relevant information from a very innocent looking question. Urist's response was not nearly as insightful but hey, you can't win 'em all. It's D1, and I feel that most direct lines of questioning will not bear fruit. You've got to ask for the small things and match them up against past actions as best you can. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Do you have any more questions? Do you see where I'm coming from?

Tir, Native: You guys playing?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:44 pm »

Hapah, you failed to so much as acknowledge my questions to you.

You've got to ask for the small things and match them up against past actions as best you can. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
Presumably you're trying to catch scum lying? If so, what incentive do scum have to lie about something which has no bearing on their alignment?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:05 pm »

UI: Apologies. I only see one question from you. I believe it's hard to be lurking, active or otherwise, three hours into a game. This is what I get for posting before bed, apparently.

And it's not only scum that lie, y'know. Goes double for this format. Everyone is (probably) going to be playing it close to the vest, because people will go from their town role to King Mafia, right? You need to tease out who is answering frankly, who is giving a sounds-good-but-probably-wrong answer, and who is being evasive.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:53 pm »

Leaf:God forbid I try to get answers in a way you don't agree with. I like subtlety. Asking everyone "Are you scum?" doesn't get anywhere, imo. You can glean a lot of information from seemingly innocent questions. As an example, the question to Toaster.  It looks innocent, Toaster's answer looks innocent, and if you dig it does ring true: The only role I can see in the last KotM that Toaster played that looked not-very-interesting was Ascetic Cop. The rest of his visible roles were interesting (Batman, Dirty Bomber, One-Shot Forensics Expert Lesser Robot {wtf?}), even if they don't appear overly powerful (Green Goo. I guess he was the original goo?). I got relevant information from a very innocent looking question. Urist's response was not nearly as insightful but hey, you can't win 'em all. It's D1, and I feel that most direct lines of questioning will not bear fruit. You've got to ask for the small things and match them up against past actions as best you can. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
You learnt some vaguely interesting stuff about roles but you didn't learn anything about his alignment at all.  I get "seemingly innocent questions" and subtlety but they need to be something where a mafia member would have any reason at all to think about or answer differently to a townie.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »

Normally, I would agree with you. In this game, though, people may be my friends today and enemies tomorrow, if either of us becomes KM. Knowing some of who does what when you step into the KM shoes would be useful information.

You are right, though, I'm putting the cart before the horse. Need to get KM killed. I don't think it's you (Leaf) or Toaster. No read yet on Tir and Native, obviously. Urist seems slightly more likely than Book, but it's really nothing more than a gut feeling at this point.

I gather the game is going to be one huge clusterfuck of bullets and face-melting come night?

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

Hapah:
Book: Mind if I pose this same question to you? ("What do you think is the most powerful role, for Town, in the role list?")
Sure, but I don't have an answer. I have never played with the Xylbot thing and I didn't read the whole humongous list, I just picked something that sounded different, something I hadn't seen before. Didn't give much thought to whether it was optimal; variety was more important to me.

Imiknorris:
Book: I wish.
Was your wish granted? If you could choose, would you have preferred to be scum on round one? Why? If your role had the one-shot day kill you hoped for, would you use it as town, or would you try to save it at all costs for when you ended up rolling scum?

Why are you still voting Toaster?
Lingering random vote, and lack of a better target.

NativeForeigner: Please come play the game. Do you think lurking is a viable tactic for the scum in this game type? If you had a "Bruce Wayne" type role, would you try to get your buddy lynched so you could become Batman? If you were a town vig type, how would you choose your target? How would this change if your NK was one-shot?

Tiruin: please answer the same questions I asked Native above.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Mafia Continued - Round 1: Sign-Ups
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:22 pm »

Remember to cast your vote!

Vote Count
------------------------
Urist Imiknorris -
Leafsnail -
Tiruin - Urist Imiknorris,
Toaster -
Bookthras -
Hapah - Leafsnail, Toaster,
NativeForeigner - Hapah, Bookthras,

Not Voting - Tiruin, NativeForeigner,

4 To Hammer. Day Ends Friday 9 PM Central.

Remember to cast your vote!

Tiruin and NativeForeigner have been prodded.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:05 am »

Oh crap! I'm in!

Whoo new game! And huh, looks like Native got in.

Native: What did you bribe Web with to get into the game?

Sweet, sweet love.

Toaster: That someone's role usually has very little bearing on whether or not they're scum.

Book: Not at all, lurking in a game this small accomplishes nothing. I just logged in for the first time since I in-ed today to find out that I magically made it into the game.

I'm not exactly sure what the Bruce Wayne role does and I don't have time to look it up. But I can make out that being batman is a good thing. In a game with only eight people, though, every mislynch hurts bad, so unless I know almost for certain who was King, I wouldn't take the risk.

If I was a town-vig, I would choose my targets carefully. If I didn't have a half-way decent idea of who was scum, I wouldn't shoot that night. If it was a one-shot, I would do the same.

No questions right now, I just found out I was playing and only had a few minutes to post. So I'll get something more substantial out within 24 hours. Also, so it's no surprise to anyone, I do not have a vote.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 02:49:19 am »

Firstly, I curse at my connection for wiping out my post yesterday. Know that I did see this thread, and I did make a post to state my views, but then thunderstorm struck (low pressure/storm warning) and wiped out power. Brownout in my area for that night. Now that I have (albeit little for now) time, I'd say PFP until ~ 5 hours later from this post.

Tiruin:
What do you think is the most powerful role, for Town, in the role list?
That is a hell lot of variables.

So I guess pertaining to KotM, as most of the roles only have different names, and are used in specific Mafia (like the werewolf thingy)

It really is hard to pick, but:  Turncoat.

Tiruin, why are you always scum?
Tell that to the mods I play under. I'm not scum this time though.

Urist I. Why the loaded question here? Or do you only remember the games I played that I was scum in?

NativeForeigner: Please come play the game. Do you think lurking is a viable tactic for the scum in this game type? If you had a "Bruce Wayne" type role, would you try to get your buddy lynched so you could become Batman? If you were a town vig type, how would you choose your target? How would this change if your NK was one-shot?

Tiruin: please answer the same questions I asked Native above.
Lurking is pathetic. That is my stand on any lurking tactic, whether town or scum. If I was bruce wayne, I would...what is meant by "BUDDY1"? Placeholder?

Regardless, and acting on this idea, I wouldn't get my buddy lynched unless he is scum and if I knew he was town, I won't get him lynched. Powers don't win games, statements and words do. Besides, Bruce Wayne is a good guy!  :P

Tir, Native: You guys playing?
See: Preamble at start.

Tiruin:  Have you read the first thread of this game?  Do any of the players here intimidate you?
Yep! Though I have to admit, the variance in roles were slightly confusing then due to my newness.

And, nope! Nobody intimidates me. What does intimidation have to do with Mafia, and how would one be intimidated by such?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15